sila samadhi panna

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism

sila samadhi panna

Postby Dhammanucara » Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:44 am

Would you consider the attainment of sila samadhi panna as a continuous process or a simultaneous process, as in, (for the former one) sila must be attained first, followed by samadhi and panna at the final stage, or, the three aspects are attained together at a point?
Just a random question that came to my mind when I read about Ven Ajahn Chah's Food for the Heart.

With metta,
Dhammanucara
Dhammanucara

Re: sila samadhi panna

Postby Virgo » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:01 am

Both sila and samadhi are born of panna. There is a kind of panna that sees the benefits of wholesome deeds and the drawbacks of unwholesome ones. So it is because of panna that we practice true sila (although refraining from negative actions can also be conditioned other factors such as lobha and dosa). Samadhi is a cetasika that arises with every citta, but it is Right Samadhi when it is with a wholesome citta. In that case, again panna conditions the wholesomeness.

Kevin
Virgo

Postby rowyourboat » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:20 pm

Sila, samadhi, panna can be visualized as a step pyramid, with sila as the base, giving support to samadhi, which in turn supports panna.

Alternatively it can also be visualized as the legs of a tripod which help and support each other.

Samadhi helps panna (sutta) and sila (my experience only). Panna helps sila (sutta) and samadhi (sutta).

With metta

RYB
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
rowyourboat

Postby kc2dpt » Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:13 pm

I understand them to arise like a spiral. Some panna is the basis for some sila. Some sila is the basis for some samadhi. Some samadhi is the basis for more panna. More panna is the basis for more sila. More sila is the basis for more samadhi. More samadhi is the basis for even more panna, etc.
- Peter

Be heedful and you will accomplish your goal.
kc2dpt

Postby salmon » Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:09 am

Have you ever played this game called "Lap Sit" where a group of people stand in a circle and try to sit on the lap of the person behind him? Sila-Samadhi-Panna works the same way as the game.
~ swimming upstream is tough work! ~
salmon

Return to General Theravāda discussion