Why didn't the Buddha teach around the world?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism

Why didn't the Buddha teach around the world?

Postby Wind » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:05 am

It seems the Buddha concentrated his teaching in India and other realms. I wonder why he didn't use his ability to teach in every parts of the world? Just imagine how Buddhism would have evolve to modern time if every part of the world had met the Buddha. Or did he?

Thoughts?
Wind

Re: Why didn't the Buddha teach around the world?

Postby jcsuperstar » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:07 am

when you are ready the teacher will appear.
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
jcsuperstar

Postby tiltbillings » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:08 am

Maybe the Buddha was not quite the god-like being you seem to think he was.
This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond.
SN I, 38.

Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireas na daoine.
People live in one another’s shelter.

"We eat cold eels and think distant thoughts." -- Jack Johnson
tiltbillings

Postby PeterB » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:09 am

Maybe he couldnt find the airport. And the Ocean liners were over booked.
PeterB

Postby Wind » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:11 am

tiltbillings wrote:Maybe the Buddha was not quite the god-like being you seem to think he was.

So you believe he had no supernormal abilities? I am simply going off on the impression I get from reading the Suttas.
Wind

Postby tiltbillings » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:17 am

Wind wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:Maybe the Buddha was not quite the god-like being you seem to think he was.

So you believe he had no supernormal abilities? I am simply going off on the impression I get from reading the Suttas.
Not saying that he did not, but let us not turn him into a god.
This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond.
SN I, 38.

Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireas na daoine.
People live in one another’s shelter.

"We eat cold eels and think distant thoughts." -- Jack Johnson
tiltbillings

Postby jcsuperstar » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:18 am

Wind wrote:

we actually got into this in that did the Buddha go to sri lanka thread.

look if people in India who met the Buddha didnt follow him, and his own attendant and students turned on him, why would one assume that people in a foreign land automatically embrace him and the whole world turn to the dhamma?
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
jcsuperstar

Postby Sherab » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:19 am

Wind wrote:It seems the Buddha concentrated his teaching in India and other realms. I wonder why he didn't use his ability to teach in every parts of the world? Just imagine how Buddhism would have evolve to modern time if every part of the world had met the Buddha. Or did he?

Thoughts?

The occurence of the arising of the Buddha and his teaching was subjected to this:
Whenever this is present, that comes to be; with the arising of this, that arises. Whenever this fades away, that does not occur; with the ceasing of this, that ceases (imasmiṃ sati idaṃ hoti; imassa
uppādā idaṃ uppajjati. imasmiṃ asati idaṃ na hoti; imassa nirodhā idaṃ nirujjhati) (SN. II: 28, 65, 70, 96; T.2.245).
Sherab

Postby Ben » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:19 am

Hi Wind

The Buddha has left us a considerable legacy.
What I think you should be doing is actually engaging in practice during this rather rare opportunity rather than asking questions that don't seem to be particularly relevant to liberation.
My apologies if I appear to be a killjoy.
Metta

Ben
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby Wind » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:24 am

tiltbillings wrote:
Wind wrote:

Not saying that he did not, but let us not turn him into a god.

I am working off with the assumption he had certain abilities, not god-like but he certainly possess the ability to travel great distances at fast speed. So with that, I assume he can or maybe able to travel further than the boundaries of India. If this assumption is true, then why didn't he travel to other parts of the world? Or perhaps his distance of travel is limited. That is not a bad explanation.
Wind

Postby Wind » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:27 am

jcsuperstar wrote:
Wind wrote:

we actually got into this in that did the Buddha go to sri lanka thread.

look if people in India who met the Buddha didnt follow him, and his own attendant and students turned on him, why would one assume that people in a foreign land automatically embrace him and the whole world turn to the dhamma?

Thanks that is a good reasoning. :smile: Perhaps the people in world at that time had too much dust in their eyes, and it would be a waste of time.
Wind

Postby PeterB » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:31 am

Or perhaps he was an Enlightened MAN....
PeterB

Postby Wind » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:35 am

Ben wrote:Hi Wind

The Buddha has left us a considerable legacy.
What I think you should be doing is actually engaging in practice during this rather rare opportunity rather than asking questions that don't seem to be particularly relevant to liberation.
My apologies if I appear to be a killjoy.
Metta

Ben

Hi Ben

It is a common misconception that when one raises a question, he is not engage in practice but questioning is a way to lead to understanding. We see in the Suttas, the Buddha is often approach with many questions by his disciple it is when after questions are raised the Buddha expound on the Dhamma and the disciples gain insights. Of course some question may not appear relevant to the observer. So it's always good to encourage questions I think.

Metta

Wind
Wind

Postby Fede » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:53 am

Not when it goes against the Buddha's own recommendations, it isn't.
http://wisdomthroughmindfulness.blogspot.com/2009/12/these-are-four-unconjecturables.html

I think you'll find your futile enquiry is covered by the first of the four. see also the note.
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/
Fede

Postby Wind » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:01 am

PeterB wrote:Or perhaps he was an Enlightened MAN....

Yea, when I first learn of the Buddha I had this very idea as well. I thought he was just a mere man. Then the Suttas description of him seems to suggest he develop certain abilities after his enlightenment. It doesn't change the fact he is a man but he certainly not normal.
Wind

Postby Wind » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:06 am

Fede wrote:Not when it goes against the Buddha's own recommendations, it isn't.
http://wisdomthroughmindfulness.blogspot.com/2009/12/these-are-four-unconjecturables.html

I think you'll find your futile enquiry is covered by the first of the four. see also the note.

Thanks Fede. I'm not sure if my question is unconjecturable but it could very well be. Thanks for pointing that out. :smile:
Wind

Postby PeterB » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:23 am

Wind wrote:

Yea, when I first learn of the Buddha I had this very idea as well. I thought he was just a mere man. Then the Suttas description of him seems to suggest he develop certain abilities after his enlightenment. It doesn't change the fact he is a man but he certainly not normal.

I didnt say that he was a mere man. I said an Enlightened man. An Enlightened man who said that speculating about his abilities was not condusive to our own Enlightenment.
PeterB

Postby salmon » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:38 am

1) It was too far to walk
2) He had the foresight that his disciples would be able to propagate the dhamma far and wide.
~ swimming upstream is tough work! ~
salmon

Postby Wind » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:46 am

PeterB wrote:
Wind wrote:

I didnt say that he was a mere man. I said an Enlightened man. An Enlightened man who said that speculating about his abilities was not condusive to our own Enlightenment.

Thanks for clarifying. :smile:
Wind

Postby Rui Sousa » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:59 am

Those beings with the appropriate Kamma were born in a place and time were they could learn the Dhamma directly from the Buddha.

After the Buddha's enlightenment he was pondering not teaching the Dhamma, it was at Brahma Sahampati's request that Buddha surveyed the world and saw that there were beings who could learn the Dhamma:

From "Ayacana Sutta: The Request" (SN 6.1): http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn06/sn06.001.than.html

As the Blessed One reflected thus, his mind inclined to dwelling at ease, not to teaching the Dhamma.

Then Brahma Sahampati, having known with his own awareness the line of thinking in the Blessed One's awareness, thought: "The world is lost! The world is destroyed! The mind of the Tathagata, the Arahant, the Rightly Self-awakened One inclines to dwelling at ease, not to teaching the Dhamma!" Then, just as a strong man might extend his flexed arm or flex his extended arm, Brahma Sahampati disappeared from the Brahma-world and reappeared in front of the Blessed One. Arranging his upper robe over one shoulder, he knelt down with his right knee on the ground, saluted the Blessed One with his hands before his heart, and said to him: "Lord, let the Blessed One teach the Dhamma! Let the One-Well-Gone teach the Dhamma! There are beings with little dust in their eyes who are falling away because they do not hear the Dhamma. There will be those who will understand the Dhamma."

Since Kamma had lead those with the best conditions to learn the Dhamma to be born near the Buddha's location, it was not necessary to travel beyond India.
With Metta
Rui Sousa

Next

Return to General Theravāda discussion