How does Dhamma protect?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism

How does Dhamma protect?

Postby SamKR » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:10 am

It is said, "Dhamma Protects". But I would like to know how Dhamma protects. Does it only mean that if we follow Dhamma, we will eventually get good results (which is obvious). Or, does it also mean that Dhamma protects you directly here and now in all ways (physical, social, health, wealth, etc...)
I wish I could make my question more clear, but I hope you will understand what I mean.
Are there particular suttas which deal with this question?
Thanks. :anjali:
SamKR

Re: How does Dhamma protect?

Postby tiltbillings » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:13 am

A textual reference to Dhamma protection:

"'I shall protect myself,' in that way the foundations of mindfulness should be practiced. 'I shall protect others,' in that way the foundations of mindfulness should be practiced. Protecting oneself one protects others; protecting others one protects oneself. And how does one, in protecting oneself, protect others? By the repeated and frequent practice of meditation. And how does one, in protecting others, protect oneself? By patience and forbearance, by a non-violent and harmless life, by compassion and loving kindness." -- Sn 52,8
This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond.
SN I, 38.

Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireas na daoine.
People live in one another’s shelter.

"We eat cold eels and think distant thoughts." -- Jack Johnson
tiltbillings

Postby Fede » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:12 am

I guess this is what is meant by "Taking Refuge" of course.
We Take Refuge in the Triple Gem, because by sheltering within the Buddha, Dhamma and Sangha, we are afforded all the tools we need, to lead a life free of mental, physical, and environmental "assault".

Within the Triple Gem, I believe there is an answer to everything.
This is your Protection.

as I see it, anyway.
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/
Fede

Postby acinteyyo » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:21 am

From Gifts He Left Behind

How the Dhamma protects

The great fire in Surin resulted in lot of suffering: a huge destruction of property and a great sense of loss. Some folks even went out of their minds. People came in a stream to see Luang Pu and to bemoan the good they had done in the past, saying, "We've been making merit at the temple and practicing the Dhamma since the time of our grandparents. Why didn't that merit help us? Why didn't the Dhamma protect us? The fire totally destroyed our homes." Many of these people stopped coming to the monastery to make merit because the Dhamma didn't help protect their homes from burning down.

Luang Pu said,

"The Dhamma doesn't help people in that way at all. The fire simply acted in line with its function. What this means is that destruction, loss, disintegration, separation have always been with us in this world. As for those who practice the Dhamma, who have the Dhamma in their hearts, when they meet with these things they understand how to place the mind in such a way that it doesn't suffer. That's how the Dhamma helps. It's not the case that it helps by preventing aging or death or hunger or fire. That's not the case at all."

best wishes, acinteyyo
Pubbe cāhaṃ bhikkhave, etarahi ca dukkhañceva paññāpemi, dukkhassa ca nirodhaṃ. (M.22)
Both formerly, monks, and now, it is just suffering that I make known and the ending of suffering.
Pathabyā ekarajjena, saggassa gamanena vā sabbalokādhipaccena, sotāpattiphalaṃ varaṃ. (Dhp 178)
Sole dominion over the earth, going to heaven or lordship over all worlds: the fruit of stream-entry excels them.

:anjali:
acinteyyo

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:57 am

There are Protection Discourses (Paritta) such as the Vaṭṭa Paritta to protect beings from fire.

Whether they work or not will depend also on the kamma of the beings affected. Medicine is a protection against disease, but it cannot cure all diseases, nor can it stop us getting sick at all. It is a remedy in some cases only.

The Dhamma protects one who practices it, it does not protect one who does not. (Dhammo have rakkhati dhammacārī).

It is clear from the Mangala Sutta that practise of the Dhamma is paramount. Mere recitation of Suttas without fulfilling the advice contained therein is of little value — at best one will make the wholesome kammas of reverence and learning.
AIM WebsitePāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Bhikkhu Pesala

Postby Modus.Ponens » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:40 pm

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html

"The devas protect one. Neither fire, poison, nor weapons can touch one."
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"
Modus.Ponens

Postby Modus.Ponens » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:45 pm

There is also a sutta (I can't find it; if someone can please post) in which the Buddha says that the best protection against magic is folowing the precepts (or something similar).
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"
Modus.Ponens

Postby Stephen K » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:58 pm

Stephen K

Postby SamKR » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:23 pm

Thanks everybody for the replies and resources about the topic! They are helpful.

I liked Buddha's saying in Stefan's signature (from Iti 1.22; Iti 14): "Do not be afraid of doing good deeds..."

Sometimes when we make decisions about our deeds, we choose bad deeds because we think that if we do some particular good deed it can bring bad results (the good deeds are so obvious to bring pain or unhappiness at that moment).
But if we remember the Buddha's assurance: "Do not be afraid of doing good deeds. It is another name for happiness. I know well that good deeds lead to a ripening, a blossoming, which is pleasing, joyous and happy for a long time.", and have faith in his saying, we can overcome our doubt about doing good deeds, or protecting Dhamma. Nice! :thumbsup:
SamKR

Return to General Theravāda discussion