Is Awareness really Awareness or thought about thought

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism

Is Awareness really Awareness or thought about thought

Postby kumarve » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:38 pm

UG Krishnamurti says that Awareness is just a thought about thought , and there is no such thing called awareness and thought never dies unless we are clinically dead.
He seem to pull the very foundation of vippasana meditation
Then what actually is an Awareness.

I am very new to mind-fullness meditation
kumarve

Re: Is Awareness really Awareness or thought about thought

Postby kc2dpt » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:40 pm

It seems to me a matter of language/definitions. Both awareness and thought refer to mental functions. So one could rightly say "there are only mental functions". On the other hand, it seems clear there are different kinds of mental functions - for example, deciphering human speech vs deciding what to have for lunch. I would say before going further in this discussion one should go back to the Pali and decide which two words one is talking about for "thought" and "awareness". For example, sati is very different than papanca.
- Peter

Be heedful and you will accomplish your goal.
kc2dpt

Re: Is Awareness really Awareness or thought about thought

Postby Goedert » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:10 pm

kumarve wrote:UG Krishnamurti says that Awareness is just a thought about thought , and there is no such thing called awareness and thought never dies unless we are clinically dead.
He seem to pull the very foundation of vippasana meditation
Then what actually is an Awareness.

I am very new to mind-fullness meditation

Hi friend.

There is a book called Mindfulness in Plain English by Bhante Gunaratana, that is very easy to understand and solve many misconseptions that have in your question. Krishnamurti is wrong, very wrong, the new age moviments are complicated, they can drive someone to have wrog view, that is a worst thing. Unfortynatly there is some beings that is born to bring others to wrong view and some that is born to bring others to right view.

Take care friend.
Goedert

Return to General Theravāda discussion