Noble Conversation

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
convivium
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 6

Noble Conversation

Postby convivium » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:54 am

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/stud ... ation.html

There are 10 wholesome topics of conversation the Buddha suggests, when repeatedly discussed we will outshine both the sun and moon:
Modesty, Contentment, Seclusion, Arousing Persistence, Virtue, Concentration, Discernment, Release, and Knowledge and Vision of Release.

How do we discuss these topics appropriately with people not familiar with the Dhamma, in ordinary conversations? Any thots are welcome.
Just keep breathing in and out like this. Don't be interested in anything else. It doesn't matter even if someone is standing on their head with their ass in the air. Don't pay it any attention. Just stay with the in-breath and the out-breath. Concentrate your awareness on the breath. Just keep doing it. http://www.ajahnchah.org/book/Just_Do_It_1_2.php

retrofuturist
Site Admin
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1001

Re: Noble Conversation

Postby retrofuturist » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:10 am

Greetings convivium,

convivium wrote:How do we discuss these topics appropriately with people not familiar with the Dhamma, in ordinary conversations? Any thots are welcome.

I don't know... did the Buddha specifically suggest that we, as lay followers, should do this with all people, including those who are not interested in the Dhamma. The Buddha would not teach to certain people who he considered unfit to receive teachings and association with the Sangha, so it seems natural that we need not discuss these matters with all people in all circumstances.

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)

Reductor

Postby Reductor » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:56 am

convivium wrote:How do we discuss these topics appropriately with people not familiar with the Dhamma, in ordinary conversations? Any thots are welcome.

Well, talk about them with those that do share an appreciation of the Dhamma. By doing so you will align your heart with these values, and they will naturally find their way into all your conversations.

If you take up these topics in a self conscious way then you'll come off as stilted and annoying, like a new born again Christian.
Michael

The thoughts I've expressed in the above post are carefully considered and offered in good faith.

And friendliness towards the world is happiness for him who is forbearing with living beings. -- Ud. 2:1
To his own ruin the fool gains knowledge, for it cleaves his head and destroys his innate goodness. -- Dhp 72

tiltbillings
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1001

Postby tiltbillings » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:15 am

thereductor wrote:If you take up these topics in a self conscious way then you'll come off as stilted and annoying, like a new born again Christian.
Which is enough to make one want to run away from the perpetrator.
Attachments
running_away[1].jpg
running_away[1].jpg (32.52 KiB) Viewed 439 times
This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond.
SN I, 38.

Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireas na daoine.
People live in one another’s shelter.

dheamhan a fhios agam

"We eat cold eels and think distant thoughts." -- Jack Johnson

Reductor

Postby Reductor » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:20 am

tiltbillings wrote:
thereductor wrote:If you take up these topics in a self conscious way then you'll come off as stilted and annoying, like a new born again Christian.
Which is enough to make one want to run away from the perpetrator.

Harhar. My sister found the lord not that long ago... it is only for love of family that I can share space with the woman. :heart:
Michael

The thoughts I've expressed in the above post are carefully considered and offered in good faith.

And friendliness towards the world is happiness for him who is forbearing with living beings. -- Ud. 2:1
To his own ruin the fool gains knowledge, for it cleaves his head and destroys his innate goodness. -- Dhp 72

Goedert

Postby Goedert » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:36 pm

convivium wrote:http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/study/conversation.html

There are 10 wholesome topics of conversation the Buddha suggests, when repeatedly discussed we will outshine both the sun and moon:
Modesty, Contentment, Seclusion, Arousing Persistence, Virtue, Concentration, Discernment, Release, and Knowledge and Vision of Release.

How do we discuss these topics appropriately with people not familiar with the Dhamma, in ordinary conversations? Any thots are welcome.

There is no formula for it.

When the moment comes, we know it. In fact, if we start be a buddhist converter and start talk to people like:
"The buddha that"
"The buddha sayd this"
"The buddha teached this" (...)

People will don't like to be in your presence. They will be in your presence for respect or they will run away when you are on theyre sight.

If you think it is necessary to say something about this 10 topics, say something like:
"Concentration is good to make something"
"Frindship make you even more beautifull"
Resuming, talk about the principles of trainning.

Things like that, don't talk the name buddhism or buddha, only if asked. Because western mind is difficult, possible they will try to judge it or rotulate as something.

:anjali:

PeterB

Postby PeterB » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:45 pm

convivium wrote:http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/study/conversation.html

The Buddha was addressing people who were already committed to his teachings.
How do we discuss these topics with people not familiar with the Dhamma ? Unless they ask... don't. Is my advice.

jcsuperstar

Postby jcsuperstar » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:49 pm

i find it best not to talk about Buddhism with non Buddhist unless they ask specific questions. I'll talk about work with out gossiping about other co-workers, I'll talk about what i did over the weekend etc, but i try to avoid anything "deep", people know I'm a Buddhist at work, i have no idea how, it just got around somehow, so i don't have to say anything about it or explain why i don't do certain things. i don't talk about it with family unless i have to explain why i wont do certain things or am against certain things or why I'm doing things they don't understand. all my friend for the most part either are Buddhists , have converted to Buddhism after hanging around me, or are into weird stuff that they think is somehow the same as Buddhism, so i have no problems talking to them however.
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat

SDC

Postby SDC » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:24 pm

I find that some people that have not been exposed to Buddhism are aware of a variety of aspects of the dhamma. But without the validation that we all have, due to our exposure to the teachings and our practice, they consider certain thoughts and ways of thinking to be much more "out there". Therefore it is not too significant to their daily life, and it is not something they talk about often. In the rare case that a conversation goes in that direction, I look to support their views that align with the dhamma. The discussion always starts with something common and then starts to break down into something else, and in my experience that takes time So it is rare. I usually let the other person lead the discussion, mainly out of the interest not to force anything, but also to see how their way of thinking is similar to the teachings and where it is different. And in most cases, though there are exceptions (close friends and family), I choose not to say that it was what the Buddha taught, nor do I get into specific concepts.

Most don't think they should, or don't think they are ready to follow a path such as the one the Buddha discovered. But I see no harm in supporting and/or enhancing their appreciation for the dhamma. That simple support/validation can mean a lot to someone's confidence and may encourage them to make whatever was discussed a bigger part of their lives.

Return to “General Theravāda discussion”