Mahasi Retreat - Where?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism

Mahasi Retreat - Where?

Postby convivium » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:26 pm

Can anyone recommend places to do Mahasi-style Retreats? Ideally long-term, and if possible in North America.
Just keep breathing in and out like this. Don't be interested in anything else. It doesn't matter even if someone is standing on their head with their ass in the air. Don't pay it any attention. Just stay with the in-breath and the out-breath. Concentrate your awareness on the breath. Just keep doing it. http://www.ajahnchah.org/book/Just_Do_It_1_2.php
convivium

Re: Mahasi Retreat - Where?

Postby Stephen K » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:29 pm

And I'd really like to know if there are Mahasi retreats in England. Thanks.
My philosophy is simple: saying 'yes' to the positive and 'no' to the negative; because the positive is so much better than the negative.
Stephen K

Postby jcsuperstar » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:15 pm

สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
jcsuperstar

Postby Moggalana » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:06 pm

Isn't Mahasi Sayadaw the main influence of the teachers at the Insight Meditation Society? http://www.dharma.org
Let it come. Let it be. Let it go.
Moggalana

Postby convivium » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:49 am

i heard they got more stream enterers switching to mahasi method...
Just keep breathing in and out like this. Don't be interested in anything else. It doesn't matter even if someone is standing on their head with their ass in the air. Don't pay it any attention. Just stay with the in-breath and the out-breath. Concentrate your awareness on the breath. Just keep doing it. http://www.ajahnchah.org/book/Just_Do_It_1_2.php
convivium

Postby Goofaholix » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:18 am

IMS definately.

though the practice is less strict and more eclectic than you'll find in Burma, this is not a bad thing.
"Whenever we feel that we are definitely right, so much so that we refuse to open up to anything or anybody else, right there we are wrong. It becomes wrong view. When suffering arises, where does it arise from? The cause is wrong view, the fruit of that being suffering. If it was right view it wouldn't cause suffering." - Ajahn Chah
"Remember you dont meditate to get anything, but to get rid of things. We do it, not with desire, but with letting go. If you want anything, you wont find it." - Ajahn Chah
Goofaholix

Postby mikenz66 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:42 am

Hi Stefan,
Stefan wrote:And I'd really like to know if there are Mahasi retreats in England. Thanks.

You could contact Bhikkhu Pesala on this board or http://aimwell.org/ or rowyourboat, who both live in England for contacts.

Mike
mikenz66

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:29 am

See my Retreats page for details of one-day retreats.

I don't have accommodation, so a one-day retreat is not much to Stefan coming from Greece for the day.

Bhikkhu Bodhidharma runs longer residential Mahāsī style retreats at the Satipanya centre, which is at a quiet country house near Shrewsbury on the border of Wales.
AIM WebsiteMy ForumsPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Bhikkhu Pesala

Postby Stephen K » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:05 am

I am planning to study (in University) in England next year. That's why I asked.
My philosophy is simple: saying 'yes' to the positive and 'no' to the negative; because the positive is so much better than the negative.
Stephen K

Return to General Theravāda discussion