Bodhi watch... or waiting for the Anguttara

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Nikaya35

Re: Bodhi watch... or waiting for the Anguttara

Post by Nikaya35 »

bodom wrote:
turquoiseJack wrote:I'm wondering now how much this Anguttara Nikaya will cost new, can any body give me a round about figure?
It should be around the same size as the Samyutta, so I would guess around the same price range as well, brand new, im guessing $90-$100 from Wisdom Pubs.

Im wondering what color the dust jacket will be? Im thinking yellow...

:anjali:
So the book should be around 2000 pages with that price range like the Samyutta.
Reductor

Post by Reductor »

maitreya31 wrote:
bodom wrote:
turquoiseJack wrote:I'm wondering now how much this Anguttara Nikaya will cost new, can any body give me a round about figure?
It should be around the same size as the Samyutta, so I would guess around the same price range as well, brand new, im guessing $90-$100 from Wisdom Pubs.

Im wondering what color the dust jacket will be? Im thinking yellow...

So the book should be around 2000 pages with that price range like the Samyutta.
I think that the Anguttara has fewer repetitious passages than the Samyutta, which means there will be more pages due to fewer editorial omissions. I wonder just how many more. Hmm.
Nikaya35

Post by Nikaya35 »

:anjali:[/quote]
So the book should be around 2000 pages with that price range like the Samyutta.[/quote]

I think that the Anguttara has fewer repetitious passages than the Samyutta, which means there will be more pages due to fewer editorial omissions. I wonder just how many more. Hmm.[/quote]
I can't wait to buy this book!
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

thereductor wrote: I think that the Anguttara has fewer repetitious passages than the Samyutta, which means there will be more pages due to fewer editorial omissions. I wonder just how many more. Hmm.
The old PTS translation of the AN and SN seem to both run to about 1500 pages.

Bhikkhu Bodhi's SN is about 2100 pages. My impression is that there are more words per page oin his translations, but they gain length with a lot more introductory material and footnotes. My expectation would be that his AN would be similar.

In any case, I'm looking forward to having modern translations of the entire first four Nikayas, which will be particularly appreciated when reading books with copious references...

Nikaya35

Post by Nikaya35 »

Does anyone Know the release date of the book ? I can't wait to have it .
Nikaya35

Post by Nikaya35 »

Where I can buy the Anguttara Nikaya from another publisher and another translator ? I want it now . I can not wait for the bihkku Bodhi edition it seems we have to wait at least a few years.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

http://www.palitext.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PTS has the complete Anguttara Nikaya and it is a good translation.
IanAnd

Post by IanAnd »

maitreya31 wrote:Where I can buy the Anguttara Nikaya from another publisher and another translator ? I want it now . I can not wait for the bihkku Bodhi edition it seems we have to wait at least a few years.
While I can understand this sentiment, and even to some degree agree with it, the wait for Bhk. Bodhi's translation will be well worth the time spent waiting once we see the final product. The time and care he puts into writing the Introductions and footnotes is well worth waiting for in order to get his insightful and experienced take on the Dhamma.

It shouldn't be too much longer before it's ready for publication. In the meantime, I can highly recommend Nyanaponkia's Anthology of the Anguttara, as it is filled with an excellent choice of suttas along with insightful commentary in the footnotes. Yes, it's only about one tenth the length of the full Anguttara, but even so, the choices made in sutta selection was well considered in terms of importance in being able to better understand the Dhamma.
mikenz66 wrote: In any case, I'm looking forward to having modern translations of the entire first four Nikayas, which will be particularly appreciated when reading books with copious references...
Indeed. Translated by Western practitioners whose personal practice gives them a stake in discerning and communicating the correct intent of the suttas. Nothing could be more valuable than that.
"The gift of truth exceeds all other gifts" — Dhammapada, v. 354 Craving XXIV
Nikaya35

Post by Nikaya35 »

IanAnd wrote:
maitreya31 wrote:Where I can buy the Anguttara Nikaya from another publisher and another translator ? I want it now . I can not wait for the bihkku Bodhi edition it seems we have to wait at least a few years.
While I can understand this sentiment, and even to some degree agree with it, the wait for Bhk. Bodhi's translation will be well worth the time spent waiting once we see the final product. The time and care he puts into writing the Introductions and footnotes is well worth waiting for in order to get his insightful and experienced take on the Dhamma.

It shouldn't be too much longer before it's ready for publication. In the meantime, I can highly recommend Nyanaponkia's Anthology of the Anguttara, as it is filled with an excellent choice of suttas along with insightful commentary in the footnotes. Yes, it's only about one tenth the length of the full Anguttara, but even so, the choices made in sutta selection was well considered in terms of importance in being able to better understand the Dhamma.
mikenz66 wrote: In any case, I'm looking forward to having modern translations of the entire first four Nikayas, which will be particularly appreciated when reading books with copious references...
Indeed. Translated by Western practitioners whose personal practice gives them a stake in discerning and communicating the correct intent of the suttas. Nothing could be more valuable than that.
Bhikku Bodhi series of Nikayas and In The Buddha Words are excellent ( I also brought the Digha Nikaya ) . I have all of them but I want the Anguttara Nikaya as soon as possible . So many important and interesing sutras that I want to read and study.
dhammapal

Post by dhammapal »

IanAnd wrote:

It shouldn't be too much longer before it's ready for publication. In the meantime, I can highly recommend Nyanaponika's Anthology of the Anguttara, as it is filled with an excellent choice of suttas along with insightful commentary in the footnotes. Yes, it's only about one tenth the length of the full Anguttara, but even so, the choices made in sutta selection was well considered in terms of importance in being able to better understand the Dhamma.
See an Anguttara Nikaya Anthology by Nyanaponika Thera and Bhikkhu Bodhi on the Buddhist Publication Society website in three parts:
http://www.bps.lk/olib/wh/wh155-p.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.bps.lk/olib/wh/wh208-p.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.bps.lk/olib/wh/wh238-p.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

With metta / dhammapal.
Nikaya35

Post by Nikaya35 »

:namaste: :namaste: :smile:
dhammapal wrote:
IanAnd wrote:

It shouldn't be too much longer before it's ready for publication. In the meantime, I can highly recommend Nyanaponika's Anthology of the Anguttara, as it is filled with an excellent choice of suttas along with insightful commentary in the footnotes. Yes, it's only about one tenth the length of the full Anguttara, but even so, the choices made in sutta selection was well considered in terms of importance in being able to better understand the Dhamma.
See an Anguttara Nikaya Anthology by Nyanaponika Thera and Bhikkhu Bodhi on the Buddhist Publication Society website in three parts:
http://www.bps.lk/olib/wh/wh155-p.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.bps.lk/olib/wh/wh208-p.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.bps.lk/olib/wh/wh238-p.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

With metta / dhammapal.
Thanks you . :namaste: :smile: :smile:
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Note that there also a PDF version on the BPS site, better if you want to print the volumes:
http://www.bps.lk/onlinelibrary_wheels.asp#trans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mike
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

I'm putting off reading the anthologies to save me double reading the same translations. (I assume Bhikkhu Bodhi won't revise those translations, at least not in any substantive manner)

There'll be enough reading to do, as it is! :reading:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

retrofuturist wrote: I'm putting off reading the anthologies to save me double reading the same translations. (I assume Bhikkhu Bodhi won't revise those translations, at least not in any substantive manner)
Actually, I agree with putting off reading them because there may well be significant changes from the translations from 30-40 years ago and there will certainly be considerably more detailed references to ancient and modern commentary and analysis, and cross-referencing to other suttas.

There are significant differences even between editions of the MN (as I found out when involved in a sutta study group (I think we had all three editions between us). I think the sutta discussed in this thread http://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=7726" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is a case where the later edition has changed the paragraph under discussion, and I recall that in some suttas we discussed the English word used for some Pali term or other had changed.

Mike
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Mike,

..... and if that's the way the dice rolls I'll be happy to have waited too.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."