Most important bit of dharma?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Spiny Norman

Most important bit of dharma?

Post by Spiny Norman »

What in your view is the most important bit of dharma?

Please select one item only from the various lists, eg one element from the 8-fold path, or one of the 3 characteristics or 5 precepts, etc.

I'm going for the 3rd Noble Truth. :smile:

P
Buddha save me from new-agers!
tiltbillings

Re: Most important bit of dharma?

Post by tiltbillings »

Mindfulness
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

...,purify the mind...
Lombardi4

Post by Lombardi4 »

Dispassion
bodom

Post by bodom »

Non-self

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

porpoise wrote:What in your view is the most important bit of dharma?

Please select one item only from the various lists, eg one element from the 8-fold path, or one of the 3 characteristics or 5 precepts, etc.

I'm going for the 3rd Noble Truth. :smile:

P
Its all of a piece, a seamless whole.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

How can I choose only one?

Okay, easy:

Samma Ditthi (Right Understanding)

That covers everything; understanding of the Four Noble Truths, the way to end suffering, and the Path out of suffering. :tongue:
OcTavO

Post by OcTavO »

The Buddha seemed to hint that Paticca-samuppada what the single most important concept of understanding the Dhamma.

But with the state of the world at present, I'd have to say the most important thing the Dhamma has to offer right now is Compassion.
adosa

Post by adosa »

Kindness.........(thank you, Dalai),

adosa
"To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas" - Dhammapada 183
martin.bara1

Post by martin.bara1 »

having questions that moves you toward enlightenment ;)
dhamma_spoon

Post by dhamma_spoon »

tiltbillings wrote:Mindfulness
Hi, Tiltbillings -
how about heedfulness (apamada)? :yingyang:

Tep
----
A soup spoon does not know the taste of the soup.
A dhamma spoon does not know the taste of the Dhamma!
IanAnd

Post by IanAnd »

David N. Snyder wrote:How can I choose only one?

Okay, easy:
Samma Ditthi (Right Understanding)

That covers everything; understanding of the Four Noble Truths, the way to end suffering, and the Path out of suffering. :tongue:
David is correct here. There is no "one most important" item of Dhamma that can be deemed the most important. The practice of the Dhamma is a response to a process: a process that is made up of many moving parts, the process of being born into the physical realms with a body and a mind. Every element of that process must be addressed if the "person" is to become "free" from the constraint that can be imposed upon it through ignorance of how that process works. So, in this respect, David is absolutely correct to point out the dependent (further hint, hint) nature of the process itself. :bow:

That said and properly digested, my first thought is to agree with Tilt and "mindfulness." That is, mindfulness based upon a "correct understanding" (samma ditthi, with thanks to David) of several other factors that make up the teaching of the Dhamma. Within that context, then, mindfulness is unquestionably indispensable, as it informs our every moment of activity. Yet, as mentioned before, with the caveat that the whole of this process is kept in mind.
"The gift of truth exceeds all other gifts" — Dhammapada, v. 354 Craving XXIV
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

The most important bit is the one that you're able to make use of at the moment.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Kenshou

Post by Kenshou »

OcTavO wrote:
But with the state of the world at present, I'd have to say the most important thing the Dhamma has to offer right now is Compassion.
Hmm, what exactly do you mean by that? The dhamma doesn't work anymore and so we should just work on gaining merit? Or, people these days are nastier than they used to be, so we better put alotta extra effort into counteracting that? Or we're all more depressed so we should be kinder? For what reason is compassion more important than in the past?

Though I wasn't there to know for myself, I sort of doubt that the human mind is all that different for the better or worse than how it used to be.

Don't mind me, just probing.
acinteyyo

Post by acinteyyo »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:The most important bit is the one that you're able to make use of at the moment.
very :goodpost: :anjali:
Thag 1.20. Ajita - I do not fear death; nor do I long for life. I’ll lay down this body, aware and mindful.