BPS

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism

BPS

Postby Reductor » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:37 pm

The Buddhist Publication Society website (bps.lk) seems to be down. Is the wheel collection from there available anywhere else on the net in its entirety. Failing the whole collection I am wondering where I can get that Anguttara anthology.

Of course i wonder why the site is down. Sure hope it doesn't stay that way.
Michael

The thoughts I've expressed in the above post are carefully considered and offered in good faith.

And friendliness towards the world is happiness for him who is forbearing with living beings. -- Ud. 2:1
To his own ruin the fool gains knowledge, for it cleaves his head and destroys his innate goodness. -- Dhp 72

Reductor

Re: BPS

Postby mikenz66 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:38 pm

Hmm, I noticed this a couple of days ago and thought it was temporary... I hope it's back soon.

Mike
mikenz66

Postby retrofuturist » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:37 am

Greetings,

It seems to be back online now.

:reading:

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby mikenz66 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:57 am

Hmm, where?

http://www.bps.lk/

doesn't work for me. Is that the wrong address?
mikenz66

Postby theravada_guy » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:57 am

Retro,

Not for me, it's not.
With metta,

Justin
theravada_guy

Postby Goedert » Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:28 am

Here it is working well fine.
Goedert

Postby retrofuturist » Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:30 am

For me it's working - definitely.

Weird.

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby Reductor » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:28 am

Still no good for me... are you still unable to access it Mike?
Michael

The thoughts I've expressed in the above post are carefully considered and offered in good faith.

And friendliness towards the world is happiness for him who is forbearing with living beings. -- Ud. 2:1
To his own ruin the fool gains knowledge, for it cleaves his head and destroys his innate goodness. -- Dhp 72

Reductor

Postby jcsuperstar » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:29 am

works for me too
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
jcsuperstar

Postby mikenz66 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:40 am

I still can't connect. The DNS at home and and work can't even give me the ip address for bps.lk or www.bps.lk
www.srilanka.lk works fine...

Mike
mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:43 am

Could someone who can connect post the IP address they are connecting to?

E.g. go to a command prompt and type:
ping http://www.bps.lk
and write down the numbers you get out.

Mike
mikenz66

Postby Reductor » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:15 am

Hey Mike,

It appears to be something wrong with our DNS settings. I've changed my DNS address manually on my internet gateway/router thing. That fixed the problem. If you are unable to do so, then you might call your tech support and ask them to set you DNS to a different server, which should set things straight.

Here is the address for bps.lk, but I don't think it'll help to punch it into your address bar.

If you can change your own DNS server address, then you can find an alternative here:
http://www.dnsserverlist.org/

The servers this page suggested to me appear to work.
Michael

Reductor

Postby Moggalana » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:33 am

There you go: 68.64.155.11
Let it come. Let it be. Let it go.
Moggalana

Postby mikenz66 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:05 am

thereductor wrote:It appears to be something wrong with our DNS settings. I've changed my DNS address manually on my internet gateway/router thing. That fixed the problem. If you are unable to do so, then you might call your tech support and ask them to set you DNS to a different server, which should set things straight.

Here is the address for bps.lk, but I don't think it'll help to punch it into your address bar.

Hmm, that resolves to a computer in California. Strange...

It's not that the DNS on my laptop is messed up. I can login to various servers at work and I have the same problem, so the weirdness has to be someplace else...

Mike
mikenz66

Postby Reductor » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:10 pm

mikenz66 wrote:
thereductor wrote:It appears to be something wrong with our DNS settings. I've changed my DNS address manually on my internet gateway/router thing. That fixed the problem. If you are unable to do so, then you might call your tech support and ask them to set you DNS to a different server, which should set things straight.

Hmm, that resolves to a computer in California. Strange...

It's not that the DNS on my laptop is messed up. I can login to various servers at work and I have the same problem, so the weirdness has to be someplace else...

Mike

I'm in Canada, your in NZ... it is unlikely that we have the same DNS yet still, we had the same trouble. As for resolving to California, that is not that strange, as a domain name can point in any direction. The BPS would look for the cheapest servers just like any organization (and there are some huge server banks in CA). However, I changed my DNS and now this site works for me. Pretty simple.

So try with your calling your ISP and ask them to change you to a different DNS server.

Or you can wait and I suspect that this issue will resolve itself at some point in the future.
Michael

Reductor

Postby Anicca » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:29 pm

From this box pinging 68.64.155.11 returns a timeout. Would changing DNS servers help?

Metta
Anicca

Postby Reductor » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:41 pm

Anicca wrote:From this box pinging 68.64.155.11 returns a timeout. Would changing DNS servers help?

Metta

Servers are often configured to time out, to prevent a Denial of Service Attack (DOS). As such, a time out does not indicate a problem with host.

I had the same trouble as Mike, but have found that changing DNS server cured the issue.
Michael

Reductor

Return to General Theravāda discussion