Three Things a Buddha Cannot Do?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
tiltbillings

Re: Three Things a Buddha Cannot Do?

Post by tiltbillings »

Goedert wrote:Taṃ kissa hetu? Tathāgatassa hetaṃ vāseṭṭhā, adhivacanaṃ dhammakāyo itipi, brahmakāyo itipi, dhammabhuto iti pi, brahmabhuto iti pi.

Tathagata: 'The body of Dhamma', that is, 'The body of Brahma', or 'Become Dhamma', that is, 'Become Brahma'.
When quoting a text, the appropriate citation really needs to accompany it.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

tiltbillings wrote:When quoting a text, the appropriate citation really needs to accompany it.
Good point...

DN 27
http://tipitaka.wikia.com/wiki/Agganna_Sutta" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.palikanon.com/english/pali_n ... _sutta.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Aggañña Sutta

Twenty-seventh of the Digha Nikāya (D.iii.80f). It is a kind of Buddhist book of Genesis, dealing, among other things, with the evolution of the world, of man and of society. The pretensions of the brahmins to be the legitimate heirs of Brahma are examined and rejected; righteousness is declared to be above lineage. (For a summary of the sutta see Dial. i.105f. Cf: Madhura Sutta).

It was preached to Vāsettha and Bhāradvāja at the Pubbārāma.

The larger portion of this sutta (from the beginning of the genesis part to the election of the first king) is found in the Mahāvastu (i.338-48).
Where would we be without search engines....?

Mike
Fede

Post by Fede »

Kick me round the room for reviving an old thread, but - I can't for the life of me see within this thread, that anybody - with the possible exception of me on page one ( :embarassed: ) - has actually coherently and single-pointedly succeeded in answering the main OP question:

And now, it's come up again elsewhere, so I googled, this thread came up, I thought "oh goody, I'm sure someone there will know!" and.... :rolleye:
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Chit ko ko

Post by Chit ko ko »

For my honest opnion, the higher spiritual being must have cosmic power (eg change things in size.fly.reading the past or future) which was banned by Buddha, so Buddha surely must be omniscient,so he can't do what,yes,he can't do against his equal,The Dhmma,the truth,especially 1st noble truth,Life is suffering,Karma will follow everywhere in sansara.
Which make me conclude
Buddha cannot do the opposite of aging,disease/damaged and death to himself or to others.
Buddha cannot change the Karma of his or the others.when there is action,there will be result.
Buddha cannot end the sansara(happening and Ending) or help others to get out of it,Buddha can only escape from it by attaining enlightment following noble eightful path which Buddha left to guiding and helping the others by only showing the way.