I'm collecting short stories

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
curiousgeorge
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 6

I'm collecting short stories

Postby curiousgeorge » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:56 am

like Koans that I can use for an upcoming book. I is still in the very early stages, but I am writing a drum method book. Its going to be my Masters Thesis (I'm getting a Masters of Education)

I have found music to be a great forum for self exploration, and I want to have this be the foundation of the book, although perhaps not explicitly. Furthermore, I've found that what people refer to as 'talent' largely does not reflect some innate god-given ability, but rather reflects how the talented students go about learning and performing. Thus, if I can set up a method that provides a forum for self exploration, I can get the students to reassess how they go about making decisions for themselves, and thus turn non-talented studetns into talented ones. I've had a fair amount of success with this approach in my teaching, but I've only been explicitly doing it for a year, so I have a lot to learn.

Anyway, music music method books concentrate only on notes, which, to me, is like meditating concentrating only on the syllables of a chant. Other music books, like "The Inner Game Of Music" (based loosely on Zen) and fantastically valuable and are wholly story form.

I'd like to mix the two, with a koan-like approach. ATM, I'm conceptualizing a short story, riddle, joke etc that frames the chapter / section. If anyone has any story they particularly like, or collections, or questions **or criticisms**, please post them!

Some categories are

* The importance of taking your time to do things
* Not to force things
* We do things we are interested in
* We do thinks that make sense to us
* We succeed at the things we understand, not at the things we don't
* Getting better at something is not a matter of doing, it is a matter of learning
* Things take time to develop, and its different for everyone
* Each person's way is different
* etc

this is by no means a comprehensive list - on the contrary I'm certain I'm missing some important categories at the moment. This is just meant to give more of an idea - thanks!

Ben
Site Admin
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1001

Re: I'm collecting short stories

Postby Ben » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:18 am

Interesting, curiousgeorge.
But what's it got to do with Theravada?
Why have you placed this thread in the General Theravada forum?
kind regards

Ben
Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.

Taṃ nadīhi vijānātha:
sobbhesu padaresu ca,
saṇantā yanti kusobbhā,
tuṇhīyanti mahodadhī.

Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia
e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com

Kim OHara

Postby Kim OHara » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:05 am

The thread may, as Ben hinted, be better in another area of DW but I'll leave that to the mods. Meanwhile, I'll throw in a couple of thoughts from my 20+ years of teaching instrumental music.

Q: Have you got any artistic ability?
A: I don't know - no-one has ever taught me to paint.

In all my time teaching music, I have only come across one child - out of several hundred - who wanted to learn and put the effort in but was unable to succeed. On the other hand, I have been told by dozens of people - mainly adults - that they 'couldn't possibly learn to play an instrument' because they 'haven't got it in' them, they 'have no natural ability'. I'm at the point now where I deny outright that there is any such thing as innate musical ability or even talent.

Look at Murray Schaeffer's (?spelling?) 'Ear Cleaning' - old now but still relevant.
Also at Kodaly.

More later if any come to mind.
Good luck!

Kim

curiousgeorge

Postby curiousgeorge » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:54 pm

Yeah it probably does go in a different forum - sorry, I wasn't thinking about the forum I was in when I posted it! Please place it wherever you fel its most appropriat - General Discussion probably.

I was thinking that this has to do with Theravada in 2 ways:

(1st) many of the ideas I want to get across are found in Buddhism, as is the storytelling form for transmitting information. My thinking is that the people here probably have a few good ones that they personally like.

(2nd) A general fishing trip for insight, suggestions, and quite possibly getting ripped a new one :) I feel like I mostly understand what I'm talking about, but I don't know how much further I can progress on my own without outside ideas at this time.

curiousgeorge

Postby curiousgeorge » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:59 pm

Kim O'Hara wrote:The thread may, as Ben hinted, be better in another area of DW but I'll leave that to the mods. Meanwhile, I'll throw in a couple of thoughts from my 20+ years of teaching instrumental music.

Q: Have you got any artistic ability?
A: I don't know - no-one has ever taught me to paint.

heh - I like that one. thanks!

In all my time teaching music, I have only come across one child - out of several hundred - who wanted to learn and put the effort in but was unable to succeed. On the other hand, I have been told by dozens of people - mainly adults - that they 'couldn't possibly learn to play an instrument' because they 'haven't got it in' them, they 'have no natural ability'. I'm at the point now where I deny outright that there is any such thing as innate musical ability or even talent.

man, if I had quarter... I tell them that If they enjoy listening to music, then they can play it. If music talent is anything at all, it is enjoyment of music. The more you enjoy it, the better you can be at it. And the more you do it properly, the more you enjoy it.

Look at Murray Schaeffer's (?spelling?) 'Ear Cleaning' - old now but still relevant.
Also at Kodaly.

More later if any come to mind.
Good luck!

Kim

will do! I don't think there is anything that I'll be saying thats new...

Return to “General Theravāda discussion”