Poll on Belief.

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism

If post Mortem Rebirth was proven beyond doubt, how would it affect your practice?

Poll ended at Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:35 pm

A lot
23%
A little
26%
Not at all
51%

Total votes : 35

Re: Poll on Belief.

Postby tiltbillings » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:53 am

PeterB wrote:Is it any more an invitation to speculate would you say Sobeh than asking what people believe ?
Which assuming we are not Enlightened, also pertains to knowledge which is a matter of speculation ?

Which of course answers you Bodom...Of course I had an agenda.
That was it.
Its an anti poll, poll.

Back on E Sangha I posted a poll to ask opinions about banning polls. But it was modded... :smile:
I'd be in favor of banning polls, but obviously the humor of your poll was lost on the grim, the grimmer, and the grimmest of the now very dead Grey Forum.
This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond.
SN I, 38.

Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireas na daoine.
People live in one another’s shelter.

"We eat cold eels and think distant thoughts." -- Jack Johnson
tiltbillings

Postby PeterB » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:56 am

In the end so was I, lost to the grim the grimmer and the grimmest .And then they went and lost themselves. :broke:
PeterB

Postby mikenz66 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:04 am

tiltbillings wrote:
Back on E Sangha I posted a poll to ask opinions about banning polls. But it was modded... :smile:
I'd be in favor of banning polls, but obviously the humor of your poll was lost on the grim, the grimmer, and the grimmest of the now very dead Grey Forum.

Are Forums subject to birth, aging and death? And what about re-becoming....?

I'd start a poll, but last time I looked the top three topics were polls... :computerproblem:

Mike
mikenz66

Postby PeterB » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:08 am

Yeah and I started one...although I did mean it to be ironic.. :?

But in the main I do question whether they aid debate or hinder it by their prescriptive nature.
PeterB

Postby mikenz66 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:12 am

PeterB wrote:Yeah and I started one...although I did mean it to be ironic.. :?

Some dependently-arisen streams don't understand irony...
PeterB wrote:But in the main I do question whether they aid debate or hinder it by their prescriptive nature.

Clearly they aid activity... :juggling:

:popcorn:
Mike
mikenz66

Postby PeterB » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:40 am

So does ex-lax...
PeterB

Postby octathlon » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:26 pm

PeterB wrote:Yeah and I started one...although I did mean it to be ironic.. :?

But in the main I do question whether they aid debate or hinder it by their prescriptive nature.

I didn't notice any problems with debate on any of the polls previous to the "I believe in literal rebirth" one, though.

:guns: :jedi:
octathlon

Postby PeterB » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:37 pm

You didnt ? .... :jawdrop:

It seemed to me to be 5% light and 95% heat.
PeterB

Postby SDC » Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:44 pm

curiousgeorge wrote:
SDC wrote:I assume it would have a substantial affect on my practice. But as far as I am concerned I am practicing the best that I can with the time and knowledge that I have. My trust and devotion in the teachings would definitely go through the roof, but I still would have the same amount of work ahead of me.

Bottom line...it would be good thing.

Accurate knowledge is never a bad thing!

I generally concur with this post. My faith in the teachings would indeed be bolstered, and I would shift strategies to try to understand it in different ways. Perhaps this would ironically be less effective?

Maybe. It could cause a false sense of security, or an inaccurate sense of your grasp on the teachings. Arrogance would be another issue some people would deal with.
SDC

Postby octathlon » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:00 pm

PeterB wrote:You didnt ? .... :jawdrop:

It seemed to me to be 5% light and 95% heat.

No, the ones I saw before that (maybe I missed some) were "what is your age", "what is your goal" and "which precept is most difficult for you" and they seemed pretty tame.. :D
octathlon

Postby PeterB » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:04 pm

Sorry octathlon I misread your comment..... :embarassed:
PeterB

Postby Sunrise » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:09 pm

So, let me see, about 50% of the forum have said that they believe in rebirth but only 25% have said that rebirth matters greatly to their practice. Interesting :thinking:
Sunrise

Postby Sobeh » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:26 pm

Sunrise wrote:So, let me see, about 50% of the forum have said that they believe in rebirth but only 25% have said that rebirth matters greatly to their practice. Interesting :thinking:

I follow Nanavira in understanding "punabhava" according to a combinatorial model of static and dynamic aspects of dhammas, but this means I also generally understand and agree with the claim that punabhava is itself not part of paticcasamuppada. Thereby, an understanding (or mere belief in) punabhava is a separate thing from paticcasamuppada (the core of the Dhamma, as it were, and thereby that which matters greatly to the practice).

Thus, any such results cannot surprise me, as there is no necessary correlation.
Sobeh

Postby lojong1 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:42 pm

Sunrise wrote:So, let me see, about 50% of the forum have said that they believe in rebirth but only 25% have said that rebirth matters greatly to their practice. Interesting :thinking:

...and 96% of the forum doesn't mind translating any old Pali word as 're-birth', even if it originally referred to rice-pudding? :alien:
I'd rather beat a dead horse than a live one.
lojong1

Previous

Return to General Theravāda discussion