How often do you contemplate the 10 Paramitas?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism

Re: How often do you contemplate the 10 Paramitas?

Postby Aloka » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:14 am

retrofuturist wrote:
In my case, it's only when I'm reading about them.

This particular list doesn't mean much to me, as the Buddha himself devised many lists and the "ten paramitas" was not one of them. This particular paramita listing is a commentarial device, seemingly co-opted/adapted from Mahayana Buddhism.

To that end, I find lists such the Noble Eightfold Path to be more useful and direct (since I do not strive to follow a bodhisattva path).

Metta,
Retro. :)

Yes, I agree with you and Tilt, Retro. When I was a Mahayana practitioner and knew little about Theravada and the Pali Canon, there was a list of 6 Paramitas :

Generosity, Ethics/Right Conduct, Forbearance, Diligence, Meditation, Wisdom.

..but they were just a list amongst other lists with lengthy explanations, which didn't mean much to me on a day-to-day level.

What's more important now to me is trying to practice Dhamma according to the Eightfold Path, and developing mindfulness and present moment awareness, according to the teachings of Ajahn Sumedho.

Hopefully if we can all make Dhamma practice part of our lives then various qualities will arise naturally.

with metta,

Aloka

Aloka

Postby Spiny O'Norman » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:49 am

mettafuture wrote:And of the paramitas, which do you contemplate the most?

I struggle with 8, so 10 is a bit beyond me. :smile:

Spiny
Spiny O'Norman

Postby bodom » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:08 pm

If you are practising the eightfold path then you are already practising the ten paramis and vice versa. There is no need to distinguish between or seperate the two.

:anjali:
The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
bodom

Postby bodom » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:43 pm

1. Generosity = Factor of Right Intention
2. Virtue = Right Action and Livelihood
3. Renunciation = Factor of Right Intention
4. Wisdom = Right View
5. Effort = Right Effort
6. Patience = Right Intention
7. Truthfulness = Factor of Right Speech
8. Determination = Right Effort
9. Loving-kindness = Factor of Right Intention
10. Equanimity = Factor of Right Mindfulness and Concentration

See, all the bases covered. :smile:

The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
bodom

Postby mettafuture » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:34 pm

Venerable Bodhi and Gil Fronsdal have done some nice lectures on the 10 Paramis. Here are the links for those of you who are interested.

http://www.bodhimonastery.net/bm/about- ... rams-.html
http://www.audiodharma.org/series/1/talk/1859/

bodom wrote:1. Generosity = Factor of Right Intention
2. Virtue = Right Action and Livelihood
3. Renunciation = Factor of Right Intention
4. Wisdom = Right View
5. Effort = Right Effort
6. Patience = Right Intention
7. Truthfulness = Factor of Right Speech
8. Determination = Right Effort
9. Loving-kindness = Factor of Right Intention
10. Equanimity = Factor of Right Mindfulness and Concentration

See, all the bases covered. :smile:

Well said.

The Buddha may not have taught the Paramitas (or Paramis) together as a list, but he did teach them individually throughout the suttas.
mettafuture

Postby Spiny O'Norman » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:23 am

Spiny O'Norman wrote:
mettafuture wrote:And of the paramitas, which do you contemplate the most?

I struggle with 8, so 10 is a bit beyond me. :smile:

Spiny

Actually even 8 is a bit much, so I prefer sila, samadhi and panna. :smile:

Spiny
Spiny O'Norman

Postby beeblebrox » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:37 pm

Spiny O'Norman wrote:Actually even 8 is a bit much, so I prefer sila, samadhi and panna.

What about greed, ill-will, and ignorance... which the 10 paramitas seem to be based on. I just keep in mind these three. :)
beeblebrox

Postby Ytrog » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:43 pm

Sila, Samadhi and Panna constitute the whole path ;)
Suffering is asking from life what it can never give you.

mindfulness, bliss and beyond (page 8) wrote:Do not linger on the past. Do not keep carrying around coffins full of dead moments

If you see any unskillful speech (or other action) from me let me know, so I can learn from it.
Ytrog

Postby mettafuture » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:24 am

Ytrog wrote:Sila, Samadhi and Panna constitute the whole path ;)

So, some of you like to view the dhamma in a broader sense. Others, like myself, like to go a little deeper into the different facets of the teachings.
mettafuture

Postby Ytrog » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:43 am

mettafuture wrote:

So, some of you like to view the dhamma in a broader sense. Others, like myself, like to go a little deeper into the different facets of the teachings.

What I meant was that the 10 paramitas are all part of these three. If you contemplate those three, you contemplate the 10 paramitas as well. Sila, Samadhi and Panna are categories where the 10 paramitas fit into.

Personally I find it helpful to contemplate the five hindrances regularly during the day as well.

mindfulness, bliss and beyond (page 8) wrote:Do not linger on the past. Do not keep carrying around coffins full of dead moments

If you see any unskillful speech (or other action) from me let me know, so I can learn from it.
Ytrog

Postby mettafuture » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:29 pm

I'm sorry if I've been a bit snippy. I've been struggling with the 6th parami this week. Lol.

With Metta
mettafuture

Postby Spiny O'Norman » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:39 am

mettafuture wrote:

I think it's important to go deeper, but in terms of daily practice I prefer simple lists I can actually work with. For me the 4 Four Noble Truths, the 3 characteristics and the 4 Foundations of Mindfulness are plenty to work with ( and I can just about remember them ;) )

Spiny
Spiny O'Norman

Postby Spiny O'Norman » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:40 am

Ytrog wrote:Personally I find it helpful to contemplate the five hindrances regularly during the day as well.

It's hard not to be aware of those hindrances some days. ;)

Spiny
Spiny O'Norman

Postby Ytrog » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:39 pm

Spiny O'Norman wrote:
Ytrog wrote:Personally I find it helpful to contemplate the five hindrances regularly during the day as well.

It's hard not to be aware of those hindrances some days. ;)

Spiny

Well, most moments the hindrances are there, but we aren't aware of them. I find it helpful to regularly check which hindraces are present at the moment, so I can try to do something about it. Not always succesful though, but that shouldn't be a surprise.

Ytrog

Postby starter » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:55 pm

Hi friend, in addition to the daily contemplation on the four foundations of mindfulness (greed/aversion/delusion/ignorance and other hindrances/fetters are included in the mindfulness of mind states), six sense bases, five aggregates, three characteristics, four noble truths, eight-fold path and seven enlightenment factors, I also contemplate on the specific unwholesome qualities/defilements of mine which most need to remove (I made a list separating them into the strongest, strong, pretty strong defilements). I'd think it's necessary to contemplate on both: the general dhamma and the specific defilements. It's probably better to make a specific list according to one's specific needs. Any suggestions and advice would be appreciated. Mettta, Starter
starter

Previous

Return to General Theravāda discussion