Vipassana = panna?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism

Vipassana = panna?

Postby Spiny O'Norman » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:58 am

Are vipassana ( insight ) and panna ( wisdom ) basically the same thing?

And if not, what's the difference?

Spiny
Spiny O'Norman

Re: Vipassana = panna?

Postby unspoken » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:47 pm

Can be same, can be not same. Depends on what you think it is. If you think that insight and wisdom is different because insight born wisdom, then you have a part of wisdom. If you think both can gained through meditation only, you are partially correct and you need more study. If you think that both of it is same where wisdom will born insight and insight will born wisdom, then i can tell you that you are a person who is well thought of something. If you do not think the ways as above, then you need to find out what makes you thinks that its something else or irrelevant or so on. As both is dependant ( what I've been learned and noticed), only happiness is independant.
unspoken

Postby Reductor » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:08 pm

Insight is when the implication of your observation becomes clear to you. Wisdom is the change in how you think due to that insight.

If you want to go further then we might say that previous insight makes you wiser, and as a wiser person you are more skilled in analyzing your experience and are thus more likely to have future insights.
Michael

The thoughts I've expressed in the above post are carefully considered and offered in good faith.

And friendliness towards the world is happiness for him who is forbearing with living beings. -- Ud. 2:1
To his own ruin the fool gains knowledge, for it cleaves his head and destroys his innate goodness. -- Dhp 72

Reductor

Postby rowyourboat » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:08 pm

vipassana is also the name of method of meditation which is more likely to give rise to insight.
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
rowyourboat

Postby Spiny O'Norman » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:13 am

thereductor wrote:If you want to go further then we might say that previous insight makes you wiser, and as a wiser person you are more skilled in analyzing your experience and are thus more likely to have future insights.

That makes sense. I also have a sense of insight being primarily passive ( seeing things clearly ) whereas wisdom can be both passive and active ( ie wisdom leading to skillful action ). I am less clear about the technical distinctions that may exist.

spiny
Spiny O'Norman

Postby Ben » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:26 am

Spiny O'Norman wrote:
thereductor wrote:If you want to go further then we might say that previous insight makes you wiser, and as a wiser person you are more skilled in analyzing your experience and are thus more likely to have future insights.

That makes sense. I also have a sense of insight being primarily passive ( seeing things clearly ) whereas wisdom can be both passive and active ( ie wisdom leading to skillful action ). I am less clear about the technical distinctions that may exist.

spiny

Don't worry too much about it Spiny. The important thing is to engage in practice. And while you are practicing, complement it with some study as they will both support each other.
kind regards

Ben
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby Sanghamitta » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:35 pm

Ben wrote:
Spiny O'Norman wrote:

spiny

Don't worry too much about it Spiny. The important thing is to engage in practice. And while you are practicing, complement it with some study as they will both support each other.
kind regards

Ben

:goodpost:
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.
Sanghamitta

Return to General Theravāda discussion