Can one be a Buddhist and a materialist atheist at the s

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism

Can one be a Buddhist and a materialist atheist at the s

Postby rybak303 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:16 am

Can one be a Buddhist and a materialist atheist at the same time? Can one be a Buddhist and believe that there is no realm of gods/goddesses, there is no such thing as a soul that exists beyond the physical body?
rybak303

Re: Can one be a Buddhist and a materialist atheist at the s

Postby Shonin » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:34 am

rybak303 wrote:Can one be a Buddhist and a materialist atheist at the same time? Can one be a Buddhist and believe that there is no realm of gods/goddesses, there is no such thing as a soul that exists beyond the physical body?

This isn't a direct reply, I know, sorry. But does disbelieving in gods and souls mean one believes the metaphysical theory known as Materialism? I don't think so.
Shonin

Postby plwk » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:10 pm

Can one be a Buddhist and a materialist atheist at the same time?

Brahmajala Sutta
Beyond materialism and spiritualism: Buddhist perceptive on human development

Can one be a Buddhist and believe that there is no realm of gods/goddesses...

Kaccayanagotta Sutta
Acchariya-abbhūta Sutta
The Thirty-one Planes of Existence

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... ml#iti-071
This was said by the Blessed One, said by the Arahant, so I have heard:
"I have seen beings who — endowed with bodily good conduct, verbal good conduct, & mental good conduct; who did not revile noble ones, who held right views and undertook actions under the influence of right views — at the break-up of the body, after death, have re-appeared in the good destination, the heavenly world.
It is not from having heard this from other priests & contemplatives that I tell you that I have seen beings who — endowed with bodily good conduct, verbal good conduct, & mental good conduct; who did not revile noble ones, who held right views and undertook actions under the influence of right views — at the break-up of the body, after death, have re-appeared in the good destination, the heavenly world.
It is from having known it myself, seen it myself, realized it myself that I tell you that I have seen beings who — endowed with bodily good conduct, verbal good conduct, & mental good conduct; who did not revile noble ones, who held right views and undertook actions under the influence of right views — at the break-up of the body, after death, have re-appeared in the good destination, the heavenly world."

....there is no such thing as a soul that exists beyond the physical body?

Ananda Sutta
Aggi-Vacchagotta Sutta
Anatta-lakkhana Sutta
Cula-Malunkyovada Sutta
Bhikkhus, if you develop and make much this one thing,
it invariably leads to weariness, cessation, appeasement, realization and extinction.
What is it? It is recollecting the Enlightened One.
If this single thing is recollected and made much,
it invariably leads to weariness, cessation, appeasement, realization and extinction.

Anguttara-Nikaya: Ekanipata: Ekadhammapali: Pañhamavagga
VSM VMM WBB TBHT WTBT My Page
plwk

Postby 5heaps » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:59 am

rybak303 wrote:Can one be a Buddhist and a materialist atheist at the same time?

who cares about "being buddhist"? one should just keep studying and if one finds something that makes sense, use it
A Japanese man has been arrested on suspicion of writing a computer virus that destroys and replaces files on a victim PC with manga images of squid, octopuses and sea urchins. Masato Nakatsuji, 27, of Izumisano, Osaka Prefecture, was quoted as telling police: "I wanted to see how much my computer programming skills had improved since the last time I was arrested."
5heaps

Postby ground » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:09 am

rybak303 wrote:Can one be a Buddhist and a ... atheist at the same time?

Provided one accepts "right view" as taught by the buddha as a mark of "being a buddhist" then buddhists do not believe in a creator god that is the object of belief in theistic religions.

rybak303 wrote:Can one be a Buddhist and a ... materialist at the same time?

Provided one accepts "right view" as taught by the buddha as a mark of "being a buddhist" then a buddhist cannot be a materialist.

rybak303 wrote:Can one be a Buddhist and believe that there is no realm of gods/goddesses, there is no such thing as a soul that exists beyond the physical body?

A realm of gods/goddesses is taught to be one of the realms of existence in buddhism. I cannot exclude that there are some who understand this in a merely metaphorical sense and still practice the 8fold path as taught by the buddha, i.e. "are buddhists".
"belief in soul" is like "belief in a creator god" not compatible with "right view".

Kind regards
ground

Return to General Theravāda discussion