Which sutta is this from? (self-compassion)

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism

Which sutta is this from? (self-compassion)

Postby Nibbida » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:24 pm

Sharon Salzberg has written:

"There is a saying in the Buddhist tradition: 'You can explore the universe looking for somebody who is more deserving of your love and affection than you are yourself, and you will not find that person anywhere.'"

For the life of me, I can't find the sutta but I'm fairly sure that I've read it before.

Thanks!
"Dispositions of the mind, like limbs of the body, acquire strength by exercise." --Thomas Jefferson

Facebook Meditation Page: http://snurl.com/yoga9vipassana
User avatar
Nibbida
 
Posts: 459
Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 3:44 am

Re: Which sutta is this from? (self-compassion)

Postby Individual » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:32 pm

Me too. I vaguely remember it being a discussion between a queen and... a king? The Buddha, in a past life?

But it's a sutta, not a Jataka.
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra
Individual
 
Posts: 1970
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:19 am

Re: Which sutta is this from? (self-compassion)

Postby Jason » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:38 pm

Nibbida wrote:Sharon Salzberg has written:

"There is a saying in the Buddhist tradition: 'You can explore the universe looking for somebody who is more deserving of your love and affection than you are yourself, and you will not find that person anywhere.'"

For the life of me, I can't find the sutta but I'm fairly sure that I've read it before.

Thanks!


It's in SN 3.8.
"Sabbe dhamma nalam abhinivesaya" (AN 7.58).

leaves in the hand (Buddhist-related blog)
leaves in the forest (non-Buddhist related blog)
User avatar
Jason
 
Posts: 469
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:09 am
Location: Earth

Re: Which sutta is this from? (self-compassion)

Postby Nibbida » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:43 pm

Jason wrote:
Nibbida wrote:Sharon Salzberg has written:

"There is a saying in the Buddhist tradition: 'You can explore the universe looking for somebody who is more deserving of your love and affection than you are yourself, and you will not find that person anywhere.'"

For the life of me, I can't find the sutta but I'm fairly sure that I've read it before.

Thanks!


Sounds like a hella loose paraphrase of SN 3.8 to me.




I don't think so. Shortly thereafter she writes:

"The Buddha said, "If you truly loved yourself, you would never harm another." Harming another is like harming ourselves..."
(from: http://www.enotalone.com/article/4956.html)

So it sounds like she is distinguishing between those two, otherwise she wouldn't have quoted it the second way in addition to the first.
"Dispositions of the mind, like limbs of the body, acquire strength by exercise." --Thomas Jefferson

Facebook Meditation Page: http://snurl.com/yoga9vipassana
User avatar
Nibbida
 
Posts: 459
Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 3:44 am

Re: Which sutta is this from? (self-compassion)

Postby Jason » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:50 pm

Nibbida wrote:
Jason wrote:
Nibbida wrote:Sharon Salzberg has written:

"There is a saying in the Buddhist tradition: 'You can explore the universe looking for somebody who is more deserving of your love and affection than you are yourself, and you will not find that person anywhere.'"

For the life of me, I can't find the sutta but I'm fairly sure that I've read it before.

Thanks!


Sounds like a hella loose paraphrase of SN 3.8 to me.




I don't think so. Shortly thereafter she writes:

"The Buddha said, "If you truly loved yourself, you would never harm another." Harming another is like harming ourselves..."
(from: http://www.enotalone.com/article/4956.html)

So it sounds like she is distinguishing between those two, otherwise she wouldn't have quoted it the second way in addition to the first.

Still sounds like SN 3.8 to me:

    [The Blessed One was at Saavatthii]

    At this time King Pasenadi of Kosala was on the upper terrace of the palace with Queen Mallikaa. And the king asked her: "Mallikaa, is there anyone dearer to you than yourself?"

    "Your Majesty, there is no one dearer to me than myself. And you, sire, is anyone dearer to you than yourself?"

    "Nor is there anyone dearer to me, Mallikaa, than myself."

    Then the king went down from the palace and visited the Blessed One [and told him the whole story.] And the Blessed One, understanding, thereupon uttered this verse:

      Though in thought we range throughout the world,
      We'll nowhere find a thing more dear than self.
      So, since others hold the self so dear,
      He who loves himself should injure none.
"Sabbe dhamma nalam abhinivesaya" (AN 7.58).

leaves in the hand (Buddhist-related blog)
leaves in the forest (non-Buddhist related blog)
User avatar
Jason
 
Posts: 469
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:09 am
Location: Earth

Re: Which sutta is this from? (self-compassion)

Postby Nibbida » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:04 pm

I see what you mean. For some reason, I still have the vague memory that it's stated in the first way somewhere else in the suttas. I can't be sure though.

But thanks nonetheless.
"Dispositions of the mind, like limbs of the body, acquire strength by exercise." --Thomas Jefferson

Facebook Meditation Page: http://snurl.com/yoga9vipassana
User avatar
Nibbida
 
Posts: 459
Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 3:44 am

Re: Which sutta is this from? (self-compassion)

Postby Jason » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:27 pm

Nibbida wrote:I see what you mean. For some reason, I still have the vague memory that it's stated in the first way somewhere else in the suttas. I can't be sure though.

But thanks nonetheless.


It's certainly possible. You'll often find the same suttas, or at least different variations of particular themes, in more than one place in the Canon. This is the only version I'm aware of, though.
"Sabbe dhamma nalam abhinivesaya" (AN 7.58).

leaves in the hand (Buddhist-related blog)
leaves in the forest (non-Buddhist related blog)
User avatar
Jason
 
Posts: 469
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:09 am
Location: Earth


Return to General Theravāda discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests