Your favorite quotes from the first 4 Nikayas

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
mettafuture

Your favorite quotes from the first 4 Nikayas

Post by mettafuture »

The Internet is filled with random quotes from the Buddha, mostly stemming from the Dhammapada, and Mahayana sects. Wouldn't it be nice if there were more quotes from the "more challenging" parts of the Buddha-dhamma? I know the first 4 nikayas aren't as easy to quote, but maybe we could try? :)

What are some of your favorite quotes from the first 4 Nikayas?

Here's one of my personal favorites:
  • "When one gives birth to hatred for an individual, one should direct one's thoughts to the fact of his being the product of his actions: 'This venerable one is the doer of his actions, heir to his actions, born of his actions, related by his actions, and has his actions as his arbitrator. Whatever action he does, for good or for evil, to that will he fall heir.' Thus the hatred for that individual should be subdued."
    • - Aghatavinaya Sutta (AN 5.161)
Individual

Re: Your favorite quotes from the first 4 Nikayas

Post by Individual »

The Buddha's last words on earth:
vayadhammā saṅkhārā appamādena sampādetha

Google it. Lots of good stuff written about it.
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra
lojong1

Post by lojong1 »

MN 1: The monks did not delight in the Blessed One's words.
Individual

Post by Individual »

lojong1 wrote:MN 1: The monks did not delight in the Blessed One's words.
:rofl:
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra
bodom

Post by bodom »

"What should be done for the disciples out of compassion by a teacher who seeks their welfare and is compassionate, that I have done for you. There are these roots of trees, these rooms that are void: meditate, bhikkhus, do not delay lest you regret it later. This is our instruction to you." - MN 152

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
bodom

Post by bodom »

Let one not trace back the past
Or yearn for the future-yet-to-come.
That which is past is left behind
Unattained is the "yet-to-come."
But that which is present he discerns —
With insight as and when it comes.
The Immovable — the-non-irritable.
In that state should the wise one grow
Today itself should one bestir
Tomorrow death may come — who knows?
For no bargain can we strike
With Death who has his mighty hosts.
But one who dwells thus ardently
By day, by night, untiringly
Him the Tranquil Sage has called
The Ideal Lover of Solitude. - MN 131

Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
bodom

Post by bodom »

Thus have I heard. At one time the Lord was staying near Savatthi, at the Jeta Grove in Anathapindika's monastery. Now when night was passing a certain devataa, lighting up the whole Jeta Grove with her surpassing beauty, approached the Lord. Having drawn near and prostrated herself she stood to one side.[1]

Standing there the devata said:

Those living in the forest, Peaceful and calm, of pure life, Eating but one meal a day: How is it they appear so radiant?

The Lord replied:

They sorrow not for what is past, They have no longing for the future, The present is sufficient for them: Hence it is they appear so radiant. By having longing for the future, By sorrowing over what is past, By this fools are withered up As a cut down tender reed. - SN 1.10

- BB
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

lojong1 wrote:MN 1: The monks did not delight in the Blessed One's words.
:) :thumbsup:

Which provides some evidence or indication of the authenticity of the Canon. That quote, plus the talk of the foulness of the body which led to several monks committing suicide probably would have been left out if the monks compiling the Canon were unscrupulous and wanted to make the Buddha into an eternal God, for example.

"Furthermore, there is the case where you recollect the Dhamma: 'The Dhamma is well-expounded by the Blessed One, to be seen here & now, timeless, inviting verification, pertinent, to be realized by the wise for themselves.' At any time when a disciple of the noble ones is recollecting the Dhamma, his mind is not overcome with passion, not overcome with aversion, not overcome with delusion. His mind heads straight, based on the Dhamma. And when the mind is headed straight, the disciple of the noble ones gains a sense of the goal, gains a sense of the Dhamma, gains joy connected with the Dhamma. In one who is joyful, rapture arises. In one who is rapturous, the body grows calm. One whose body is calmed experiences ease. In one at ease, the mind becomes concentrated."
Anguttara Nikaya 11.12
bodom

Post by bodom »

Once the Blessed One was staying at Rajagaha...Now the brahman Bharadvaja heard this: "The brahman Bharadvaja, it seems, has become a monk under the Great Monk Gotama." Angry and unhappy, he went to where the Blessed One was. Having approached the Blessed One, he abused and criticized the Blessed One in foul and harsh words. Thus..the Blessed One spoke to Bharadvaja: 'Well, brahman, do friends, confidants, relatives, kinsmen and guests visit you?""Yes, Gotama, sometimes friends, confidants, relatives, kinsmen and guests do visit me.""Well, brahman, do you not offer them snacks or food or tidbits?""Yes, Gotama, sometimes I do offer them snacks...or tidbits.""But if, brahman, they do not accept it, who gets it?""If Gotama, they do not accept it, I get it back.""Even so, brahman, you are abusing us who do not abuse, you are angry with us who do not get angry, you are quarreling with us who do not quarrel. All this of yours we don't accept. You alone, brahman, get it back; all this, brahman, belongs to you.

- BB
mettafuture

Post by mettafuture »

Individual wrote:The Buddha's last words on earth:
vayadhammā saṅkhārā appamādena sampādetha

Google it. Lots of good stuff written about it.
Just so people won't have to do too much searching, that quote from the Mahāparinibbāna Sutta.
mettafuture

Post by mettafuture »

• "Thus, Ananda, from name-and-form as a requisite condition comes consciousness. From consciousness as a requisite condition comes name-and-form. From name-and-form as a requisite condition comes contact. From contact as a requisite condition comes feeling. From feeling as a requisite condition comes craving. From craving as a requisite condition comes clinging. From clinging as a requisite condition comes becoming. From becoming as a requisite condition comes birth. From birth as a requisite condition, aging, death, sorrow, lamentation, pain, distress, and despair come into play. Such is the origination of this entire mass of stress."
    • -- Maha-nidana Sutta (DN 15)
Wow, the Buddha was good! :shock:

When ever doubt arises, I remind myself of verses like these.
mettafuture

Post by mettafuture »

• "Monks, the ending of the fermentations is for one who knows & sees, I tell you, not for one who does not know & does not see. For one who knows what & sees what? Appropriate attention & inappropriate attention. When a monk attends inappropriately, unarisen fermentations arise, and arisen fermentations increase. When a monk attends appropriately, unarisen fermentations do not arise, and arisen fermentations are abandoned."
    • -- Sabbasava Sutta (MN 2)
The sutta gets even better after this part, but the first few lines alone offer great insight.

:bow:
phil

Post by phil »

These days for some reason I really like this translation of a verse from the Therigata, "lay well upon your heart the yoke of the noblest culture."

Edit - oops, I thought Therigata was in SN, but I was thinking of the Bhikkuni Samyutta. Well, in any case this is a good thread to bump up.
Kammalakkhano , bhikkhave, bālo, kammalakkhano pandito, apadānasobhanī paññāti
(The fool is characterized by his/her actions/the wise one is characterized by his/her actions/Wisdom shines forth in behaviour.)
(AN 3.2 Lakkhana Sutta)
Bodhisurfer

Post by Bodhisurfer »

I hav'nt read all of the first four Nikayas so my favourite quote so far is from the Anguttara Nikaya, The Mountain Simile

'I inform you, great king, I announce to you, great King: aging and death are rolling in on you. When aging and death are rolling in on you, great king, what is to be done?'
'As aging and death are rolling in on me, venerable sir, what else should be done but tolive by the Dhamma, to live righteously, and to do wholesome and meritorious deeds?'

For me this really is a wake up call :smile:
Sabbe dhamma nalam abhinivesaya