Would a buddhist monk...

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism

Re: Would a buddhist monk...

Postby Hanzze » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:46 pm

_/\_
Last edited by Hanzze on Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just that! *smile*
...We Buddhists must find the courage to leave our temples and enter the temples of human experience, temples that are filled with suffering. If we listen to Buddha, Christ, or Gandhi, we can do nothing else. The refugee camps, the prisons, the ghettos, and the battlefields will become our temples. We have so much work to do. ... Peace is Possible! Step by Step. - Samtach Preah Maha Ghosananda "Step by Step" http://www.ghosananda.org/bio_book.html

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Punna Sutta Nate sante baram sokham _()_
Hanzze

Postby Phra Chuntawongso » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:36 pm

Hanzze wrote:Dear Ven. Nanadhaja,

for sure we need to use a Name for all the "rupas". So what should a monk name him self, when there is a need for introduction? What is the explanation of a Monk if he is asked who or what he is?

Hi Hanzze,I would introduce myself as Venerable Greg or as Venerable Nanadhaja or when I relocate to Thailand,Phra Greg or Phra Nanadhaja.
If I was in a country where the people were not used to seeing monks in robes walking along the street doing alms rounds and they asked me who or what I was I would explain to them that I am a buddhist monk and I would also explain if they asked,what I was doing.
And crawling on the planets face,some insects called the human race.
Lost in time
Lost in space
And meaning
Phra Chuntawongso

Postby Phra Chuntawongso » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:44 pm

Hanzze,if you would like to see some of the problems a buddhist monk can have in the west check out this site.
http://yuttadhammo.sirimangalo.org
This monk has had to deal with the police in america.I think he gave them his name and what he was.American police do not always have a sense of humor. :jawdrop:
And crawling on the planets face,some insects called the human race.
Lost in time
Lost in space
And meaning
Phra Chuntawongso

Postby Hanzze » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:58 pm

_/\_
Last edited by Hanzze on Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just that! *smile*
...We Buddhists must find the courage to leave our temples and enter the temples of human experience, temples that are filled with suffering. If we listen to Buddha, Christ, or Gandhi, we can do nothing else. The refugee camps, the prisons, the ghettos, and the battlefields will become our temples. We have so much work to do. ... Peace is Possible! Step by Step. - Samtach Preah Maha Ghosananda "Step by Step" http://www.ghosananda.org/bio_book.html

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Punna Sutta Nate sante baram sokham _()_
Hanzze

Postby Hanzze » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:16 pm

_/\_
Last edited by Hanzze on Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just that! *smile*

Hanzze

Postby Individual » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:37 pm

When I asked the local Zen monk his name, he smiled and said, "You can call me whatever you like."
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra
Individual

Postby Hanzze » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:54 am

_/\_
Last edited by Hanzze on Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just that! *smile*

Hanzze

Postby Individual » Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:04 am

Hanzze wrote:
Individual wrote:When I asked the local Zen monk his name, he smiled and said, "You can call me whatever you like."

Hi Individual,

That sounds very dhamma, thanks for the hint. So is there a different?

Is what different?

The Diamond Sutra
Individual

Postby Hanzze » Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:08 am

_/\_
Last edited by Hanzze on Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just that! *smile*

Hanzze

Postby Individual » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:24 am

Hanzze wrote:
Individual wrote:
Hanzze wrote:Hi Individual,

That sounds very dhamma, thanks for the hint. So is there a different?

Is what different?

A different between "Monk" from the view of the Dhamma taught by the Buddha.

I don't know.

The Diamond Sutra
Individual

Previous

Return to General Theravāda discussion