Access to Insight Bulk Download

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Crazy cloud

Re: Access to Insight Bulk Download

Post by Crazy cloud »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:Is there no Zip support on a Mac?
http://download.cnet.com/The-Unarchiver ... 55313.htmlworked for me - and thanks a lot :)
If you didn't care
What happened to me
And I didn't care for you

We would zig-zag our way
Through the boredom and pain
Occasionally glancing up through the rain

Wondering which of the
Buggers to blame
And watching for pigs on the wing
- Roger Waters
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:Is there no Zip support on a Mac?
There is support, but it isn't so good with executable files with an .exe suffix.

If I download the zip-suffixed file from ATI I can unzip it with no trouble at all, but if I download an exe-suffixed file from anywhere, before I can do anything with it I need to know exactly what the encoding is and then change the .exe to something more precise: .zip, .rar, .gz, .7z or whatever.

Perhaps there is now a program that will detect an exe's encoding, but as I'm usually a year or two behind the times technologically, I haven't come across it yet.
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I think I will stick with *.exe — anyone who wants Zip can download it from Access to Insight.

My original reason for hosting it was to save time for users on slow connections by compressing it more tightly using 7-Zip. The self-executable is more convenient to install for those who don't have an archive program to unzip *.7z files.

The difference used to be between 13 Mbytes for Zip and about 7 Mbytes for 7-Zip using PPMd compression, but now that it includes PDF files, I use LZMA2 for the best compression, and the difference is not nearly so significant.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)