Theravada holidays

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Tex

Theravada holidays

Post by Tex »

Greetings, all.

I searched and didn't see a thread on Theravada holidays.

I'm only aware of Visakha Puja, Magha Puja, and Asalha Puja, are there others?

How do you celebrate these holidays yourself? Any tips for beginners, or those who don't have a sangha close by? How are these days typically celebrated in different cultures?

:buddha2:
"To reach beyond fear and danger we must sharpen and widen our vision. We have to pierce through the deceptions that lull us into a comfortable complacency, to take a straight look down into the depths of our existence, without turning away uneasily or running after distractions." -- Bhikkhu Bodhi

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -- Heraclitus
DNS
Site Admin

Re: Theravada holidays

Post by DNS »

The Kathina' festival is another one, when usually one family from the lay members donates new robes for the monks. Others bring other gifts and essentials for the monks (October).

Another poya day I like is the Sanghamitta Day on the Full Moon of December. It celebrates Ven. Sanghamitta, daughter of King Ashoka, for going to Sri Lanka with a Bodhi Tree sapling (tree is still alive today) and spreading Buddhism there. It provides a holiday honoring a great female disciple.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Here is a great report on Sanghamitta Day, by Dhamma Wheel member Bhikkhu Samahita:

http://what-buddha-said.net/drops/III/U ... ya_Day.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:buddha1:
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

In Burma, Mahāsamaya Day is widely celebrated

The Fullmoon Day of Maha Samaya Day is in June.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

i just got home from celebrating magha puja day by spending the weekend at my temple and taking the 8 precepts. thats what i do for holidays
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
DhammaDan

Post by DhammaDan »

jcsuperstar wrote:i just got home from celebrating magha puja day by spending the weekend at my temple and taking the 8 precepts. thats what i do for holidays
Are you as hungry as I am?
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

no, im fine, they stuff me at lunch at the wat, and normally at home i only eat like once a day so i'm good.
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

When you decide to follow the 8 precepts or when you just want to eat one meal, just be sure to do the following:

1. Eat until you are full or even a little more.
2. If you normally eat 2200 calories per day, eat about 1500 to 1800 for the one meal at lunch or a little less if you had breakfast.
3. Don't eat the same amount at lunch that you usually do if you would eat 3 meals a day. You need to eat much more.

In the end, you will consume less calories by eating one meal (usually) even though it is a large meal. You will lose weight if you are currently over-weight.

It's a great diet and it is easy once you get used to it!
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

especially since its early in the day and you have lots of tim eto work off those calories!
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ