Voluntary starvation

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Individual

Voluntary starvation

Post by Individual »

Would voluntary starvation of oneself be considered a violation of the precept against no killing?
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra
mikenz66

Re: Voluntary starvation

Post by mikenz66 »

This thread has some relevance to the question, at least for bhikkhus.
http://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=6397" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mike
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

Individual wrote:Would voluntary starvation of oneself be considered a violation of the precept against no killing?
For a start the precepts aren't commandments they are rules of training or guidelines that we take on board and use to reflect on the wisdom and consequences of our actions, so "violation" is not really an appropriate term in my opinion.

So one would reflect on the motivation for ones proposed action in the light of the 5 precepts to determine if it was wise, though it's hard to imagine circumstances where staring yourself would be considered wise.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

I believe it is a Jain practice, an extension of their radical asceticism, and praised as an expression of extreme holiness.
In Buddhist terms, it amounts to throwing away a precious human life, one of our few opportunities to learn the dhamma and make progress towards nibbana. I can't think of any situation where it would be a skillful act for any normally-healthy person.
:namaste:
Kim
Paññāsikhara

Post by Paññāsikhara »

If one is to intentionally destroy this life, only to take up another existence, then this is something not praised by the Buddha. cf. Channa.
My recently moved Blog, containing some of my writings on the Buddha Dhamma, as well as a number of translations from classical Buddhist texts and modern authors, liturgy, etc.: Huifeng's Prajnacara Blog.
ground

Post by ground »

Individual wrote:Would voluntary starvation of oneself be considered a violation of the precept against no killing?
As a side note: Suicide cannot be considered as full-fledged killing at all.

Kind regards
Paññāsikhara

Post by Paññāsikhara »

TMingyur wrote:

Kind regards
Why not? Do you have any Theravadin scriptural support for this statement?
My recently moved Blog, containing some of my writings on the Buddha Dhamma, as well as a number of translations from classical Buddhist texts and modern authors, liturgy, etc.: Huifeng's Prajnacara Blog.
ground

Post by ground »

Paññāsikhara wrote:
TMingyur wrote:

Kind regards
Why not? Do you have any Theravadin scriptural support for this statement?
Oh sorry. Thank you for this response. I have been very unthoughtful saying this.
I recalled an interpretation that full-fledged killing is a killing where the agent is alive after having killed being able to be conscious of the fact that he/she has killed a living being. In case of suicide this is not possible since the agent is dead.

But I would be happy to learn about the Thervadin view.

Kind regards
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

It would be suicide. You know yourself what the Buddha said about that, right?
Alex123

Post by Alex123 »

Annapurna wrote:It would be suicide. You know yourself what the Buddha said about that, right?
if someone gives up this body and seizes another, I say it is a fault. In the bhikkhu that fault is not apparent. Bhikkhu Channa took his life faultlessly.
http://metta.lk/tipitaka/2Sutta-Pitaka/ ... ada-e.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

Hello, Alex, thanks for adding this,-I knew it would come.

I don't think it can be compared to the hypthetical scenario Individual gave us to think about.

Channa was already going from life to death in excruciating pain, since he was terminally ill.

He knew he would die eventually. He was fully aware of the teachings.

Somebody who starves himself intentionally, however, to end his life, is in another position and mindset than Channa.

He has a choice to live in health.

Channa didn't have that option.

Kind regards,

A.