suffering

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism

suffering

Postby heraclito27 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:45 pm

The suffering of the 4 noble truths can only percieved by sensation (vedana)?
heraclito27

Re: suffering

Postby cooran » Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:58 pm

Hello heraclito27,

This might be of assistance:
The Four Noble Truths by Ajahn Sumedho
http://www.buddhanet.net/4noble.htm
dukkha
http://palikanon.com/english/wtb/b_f/dukkha.htm

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
cooran

Postby Cloud » Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:26 am

Contact with the object (through the senses) combined with ignorance. In each experience, for every sensation, see that all things arise and fall (are impermanent), are bound with unsatisfactoriness and are not separate (neither self nor other).
Anicca-Dukkha-Anatta.
The purpose of Buddhist practice is to go from conceptually understanding these truths to directly experiencing them, transforming the mind and removing all traces of duality and clinging.
Cloud

Postby Individual » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:08 am

heraclito27 wrote:The suffering of the 4 noble truths can only percieved by sensation (vedana)?

If it is called suffering, it is also called sensation (of pleasure, pain, or neither).

It is not something you have to accept, just a consistent set of definitions. You could say all sorts of things perceive suffering, and that would turn Abhidhamma into useless poetry.
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra
Individual

Postby Individual » Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:06 pm

Or maybe the poetry could be useful. The point is: If it's called pain or pleasure, it is called a sensation. You sense pain and pleasure. You don't see, hear, smell, touch, taste, or think pain and pleasure; you sense it. Hence it's called sensation.
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra
Individual

Postby heraclito27 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:01 am

Aversion to painful feeling cause the start of 8 fold path.
Undestanding that everything is bound to painful feeling cause the end of craving.
The end of craving cause the end of existence.
The end of existence cause the end of painful feeling, problem solved.

So everything in buddhism is turning around "I'm feeling good", "I'm feeling bad"..
Those are the cause of existence, those are the motivation for "being a budhist", understanding those is the end of existence and the end of those is the final of the task.

It seems stupid to me. Not buddhism, stupid that things could be this way. That existence is so trifling. All my life I've thought that things are important but buddhism is telling that that something so trivial as "I'm feeling good", "I'm feeling bad" is ruling existence of beings.
heraclito27

Return to General Theravāda discussion