The 3 levels of knowledge about each of the 4 noble truths?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism

The 3 levels of knowledge about each of the 4 noble truths?

Postby starter » Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:43 pm

Hi friends,

Merry X-mas!

I'm reading Meditation4 and gets lost here:

"... only when he [the Buddha] had gained knowledge of things as they have come to be — in terms of the four noble truths, and the three levels of knowledge {?} about each truth — did he claim full Awakening."

What are tthe three levels of knowledge about each truth? They don't appear to be the 3 noble knowledge that the Buddha obtained at the night of his awakening?

Since I'll be away for a while, I wish all of you a very fruitful peaceful 2010! All the best,

Starter
starter

Re: The 3 levels of knowledge about each of the 4 noble truths?

Postby mikenz66 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:51 am

Hi Starter,

SN 56.11 Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .piya.html
"As long as my knowledge of seeing things as they really are, was not quite clear in these three aspects, in these twelve ways, concerning the Four Noble Truths,[3] I did not claim to have realized ...

[3]As the previous paragraphs indicate, there are three aspects of knowledge with regard to each of the Four Noble Truths: 1. The knowledge that it is the Truth (sacca-ñana). 2. The knowledge that a certain function with regard to this Truth should be performed (kicca-ñana). 3. The knowledge that the function with regard to this Truth has been performed (kata-ñana). The twelve ways or modes are obtained by applying these three aspects to each of the Four Noble Truths.

Hence the (usual) 12 spokes in the Dhamma Wheel.

:anjali:
Mike
mikenz66

Re: The 3 levels of knowledge about each of the 4 noble truths?

Postby clw_uk » Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:53 am

Ajahn Sumedho discusses this here

http://www.buddhanet.net/4noble.htm
“Happy is the man who has broken the chains which hurt the mind, and has given up worrying once and for all.” Ovid
clw_uk

Return to General Theravāda discussion