Can our father be reborn as our wife in a future lives?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism

Re: Can our father be reborn as our wife in a future lives?

Postby Virgo » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:06 pm

unspoken wrote:
Virgo wrote:
Kim O'Hara wrote:It's also possible for a person to win first prize in the lottery in two consecutive weeks, but it's not very likely.
If we can be reborn as any kind of creature in any of thousands of worlds, as we are told, the chance of two closely related people being reborn at similar times and places - and the same species! - must be infinitesimal.
Not worth worrying about, in fact.
:namaste:
Kim

Actually I disagree. There are many cases in the Suttas where people are born into the same households and so on. Sometimes we have very strong kammic connections with people that only play themselves out over a number of lifetimes, as weird as that may sound.

Kevin, Sutta is something that record the teachings of Buddha

Maybe in the Suttas there are not a lot of cases but in the Commentaries to the Suttas they are explained at times about the people in the Suttas. I tend to take the Commentary with the Sutta whenever I have an opportunity to do so.

Kevin
Virgo

Re: Can our father be reborn as our wife in a future lives?

Postby unspoken » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:22 am

Virgo wrote:
unspoken wrote:

Kevin, Sutta is something that record the teachings of Buddha

Maybe in the Suttas there are not a lot of cases but in the Commentaries to the Suttas they are explained at times about the people in the Suttas. I tend to take the Commentary with the Sutta whenever I have an opportunity to do so.

Kevin

Good buddhist

With metta
unspoken

Previous

Return to General Theravāda discussion