Fetter of greed for the immaterial and material?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism

Fetter of greed for the immaterial and material?

Postby Wizard in the Forest » Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:45 pm

The 4 noble truths and warning off clinging are the basis of all Buddhist practice, and restraint and guarding the sense doors seems to be the best way to determine when one has greed and aversion, but in the suttas where is the methods of finding ways to cut off greed for both material and non material gain?
"One is not born a woman, but becomes one."- Simone de Beauvoir
Wizard in the Forest

Re: Fetter of greed for the immaterial and material?

Postby plwk » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:17 pm

Mula Sutta
Nidana Sutta
Ananda Sutta
Bharadvaja Sutta
Sanditthika Sutta
Vitakkasanthana Sutta
Dhammadayada Sutta
There friends, greed is an evil, anger is an evil.
To dispel greed and anger, there is the middle path which conduces to wisdom, knowledge enlightenment and extinction.
It is this same Noble Eightfold Path such as right view, right thoughts, right speech, right actions, right livelihood, right effort, right mindfulness, and right concentration.
Friends, this is the middle path which conduces to wisdom, knowledge, enlightenment and extinction.

Magga-vibhanga Sutta
"And what, monks, is right mindfulness?
(i)There is the case where a monk remains focused on the body in & of itself — ardent, aware, & mindful — putting away greed & distress with reference to the world.
(ii)He remains focused on feelings in & of themselves — ardent, aware, & mindful — putting away greed & distress with reference to the world.
(iii)He remains focused on the mind in & of itself — ardent, aware, & mindful — putting away greed & distress with reference to the world.
(iv) He remains focused on mental qualities in & of themselves — ardent, aware, & mindful — putting away greed & distress with reference to the world. This, monks, is called right mindfulness.
Bhikkhus, if you develop and make much this one thing,
it invariably leads to weariness, cessation, appeasement, realization and extinction.
What is it? It is recollecting the Enlightened One.
If this single thing is recollected and made much,
it invariably leads to weariness, cessation, appeasement, realization and extinction.

Anguttara-Nikaya: Ekanipata: Ekadhammapali: Pañhamavagga
VSM VMM WBB TBHT WTBT My Page
plwk

Postby Wizard in the Forest » Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:02 pm

Thank you plwk! :goodpost:
Wizard in the Forest

Postby phil » Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:57 am

Hi Wizard

When you use the word "fetter" are you referring to the ten fetters?

If so, aren't the fetters of lust for existence in the material (rupa) realm and immaterial (arupa) realm very subtle fetters that are different from our conventional meaning of having greed for material and immaterial objects? Or are you just asking about greed for material and immaterial objects?
Last edited by phil on Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kammalakkhano , bhikkhave, bālo, kammalakkhano pandito, apadānasobhanī paññāti
(The fool is characterized by his/her actions/the wise one is characterized by his/her actions/Wisdom shines forth in behaviour.)
(AN 3.2 Lakkhana Sutta)
phil

Postby Wizard in the Forest » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:00 am

I'm talking about both conventional greed, and also about the feeling like a person wants to be born in another rupaloka and arupaloka. Without understanding the drawbacks of these fetters people won't let them go, and I want to know how the Buddha dealt with these issues.
Wizard in the Forest

Postby phil » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:05 am

Wizard in the Forest wrote:I'm talking about both conventional greed, and also about the feeling like a person wants to be born in another rupaloka and arupaloka. Without understanding the drawbacks of these fetters people won't let them go, and I want to know how the Buddha dealt with these issues.

OK, to be hoenst I have never though about rupaloka, arupaloka. I just think about not wanting to be born in the lower realms! :smile:

But it's good for me to meet people who reflect on subtler topics, thanks.
(The fool is characterized by his/her actions/the wise one is characterized by his/her actions/Wisdom shines forth in behaviour.)
(AN 3.2 Lakkhana Sutta)
phil

Postby Wizard in the Forest » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:10 am

phil wrote: OK, to be hoenst I have never though about rupaloka, arupaloka. I just think about not wanting to be born in the lower realms! :smile:

I don't want to be reborn at all. :? This is why I am contemplating all the drawbacks of higher and lower realms.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn05/sn05.007.bodh.html

This comes to mind.
Wizard in the Forest

Postby phil » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:47 am

Wizard in the Forest wrote:
phil wrote: OK, to be hoenst I have never though about rupaloka, arupaloka. I just think about not wanting to be born in the lower realms! :smile:

I don't want to be reborn at all. :? This is why I am contemplating all the drawbacks of higher and lower realms.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn05/sn05.007.bodh.html

This comes to mind.

That is so cool. I was posting the other day about how I don't seem to have an aspiration to reach liberation, so I like to hear from people who do, it's good for me.

I seem to have a lot of lust for existence in the human realm, I justify it by teachings that point out that compared to the hell realms where all is miserable and the deva realms where all is pleasant, it is the human realm that gives us the best opportunity to practice and develop understanding. But do I pratice and develop understanding? Next year I will, this afternoon I will, in 5 minutes I will, in this moment I will!
(AN 3.2 Lakkhana Sutta)
phil

Postby Wizard in the Forest » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:21 am

Rebirth in all realms are impersonal, unsatisfactory, and temporary. At one point your life in this precious rebirth will end. It is a rare rebirth where you can fully become exposed to the Buddha sasana, and understand the Buddhadhamma. With this, you no longer will be reborn.
Wizard in the Forest

Postby phil » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:43 am

Wizard in the Forest wrote:Rebirth in all realms are impersonal, unsatisfactory, and temporary. At one point your life in this precious rebirth will end. It is a rare rebirth where you can fully become exposed to the Buddha sasana, and understand the Buddhadhamma. With this, you no longer will be reborn.

Thanks! I love the contrast (and maybe it isn't a contrast) between these stirring words and your anime avatar who looks like a maid cafe waitress! Well, wizards in forests and maid cafe waitresses also have an opportunity to become fully exposed to the Buddha sasana. :smile:
(AN 3.2 Lakkhana Sutta)
phil

Postby Wizard in the Forest » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:25 am

HEHEHEHE! It is more of a reminder to know not to take myself seriously. :jumping:
Wizard in the Forest

Return to General Theravāda discussion