Why teaching fear?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
ground

Re: Why teaching fear?

Post by ground »

Hanzze wrote:So what kind of others could change your opinion, TMingyur?
What opìnion are you referring to?

Kind regards
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

_/\_
Last edited by Hanzze on Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just that! *smile*
...We Buddhists must find the courage to leave our temples and enter the temples of human experience, temples that are filled with suffering. If we listen to Buddha, Christ, or Gandhi, we can do nothing else. The refugee camps, the prisons, the ghettos, and the battlefields will become our temples. We have so much work to do. ... Peace is Possible! Step by Step. - Samtach Preah Maha Ghosananda "Step by Step" http://www.ghosananda.org/bio_book.html

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Punna Sutta Nate sante baram sokham _()_
ground

Post by ground »

Hanzze wrote:
TMingyur wrote:
Hanzze wrote:So what kind of others could change your opinion, TMingyur?
What opìnion are you referring to?

Kind regards
Dear TMingyur,

you told that "Secondly, it depends on who these "others" are supposed to be and on the "factuality" ("reality") of these alleged "others".
Is is necessary of which kind are the others, ...
Hanzze

You are not precise enough to support an efficient communication. You asked "So what kind of others could change your opinion, TMingyur?" and I asked "What opìnion are you referring to?" but you did not answer what opinion or view you are referring to.

Obviously you do not understand. The kind of others as to changing my view is of course dependend on the view in question. There are e.g. mundane views having to do with life as a layman (e.g. the view that one has to work in a certain way in order to be able to make one's living) and there are conventional views as to the buddhist path.
So what view ("opinion") are you referring to?
Hanzze wrote: ... your decisions will be our decision. That is a kind of fear I am talking about, I guess the same like requested from Annapurna. Who is teaching that?
Sorry, but please comply with conventional language and its meaning. My decisions are my decisions not yours and not "ours". However my decisions may affect others as others may affect my decisions. And again: These "others" are not the same "others" in all contexts of decisions. I do not understand what this has to do with fear. The influence of others has to do with the question of necessity not with fear.

If you want to have an efficient communication then please express yourself in a precise manner. Do not leave something just in your mind and do not write only a portion of what your are thinking. I am unable to follow your line of thought.

Kind regards
ground

Post by ground »

TMingyur wrote:The influence of others has to do with the question of necessity not with fear.
Here I have to add and clarify: Of course the insight in the necessity to comply with what others say or teach may cause fear of the consequences if one does not comply. But this fear may be well-founded or it may be unfounded.
And of course there may also be the insight that there is no need to comply in the first place. In this case fear of consequences is unfounded.
So everything is dependend on context. But delusion can never be insight.

Kind regards
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

Dear TMingyur,
Dear Friends,

does fear have any other quality than aversion?
Just that! *smile*
...We Buddhists must find the courage to leave our temples and enter the temples of human experience, temples that are filled with suffering. If we listen to Buddha, Christ, or Gandhi, we can do nothing else. The refugee camps, the prisons, the ghettos, and the battlefields will become our temples. We have so much work to do. ... Peace is Possible! Step by Step. - Samtach Preah Maha Ghosananda "Step by Step" http://www.ghosananda.org/bio_book.html

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Punna Sutta Nate sante baram sokham _()_