Mind lives on after death?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Vangelis

Mind lives on after death?

Post by Vangelis »

In one of the suttas, the Buddha rebukes a monk for stating that the mind lives on after death. Anyone know which one it is? I have searched and can't find it.

Thanking you in advance,

Vangelis
pegembara

Post by pegembara »

At one time the Bhagava was staying at the Jetavana monastery of Anathapindika in Savatthi. At that time there arose in Bhikkhu Sati, the son of a fisherman, a depraved view1 thus: "As I understand the dhamma (the Teaching) as taught by the Bhagava, it is the same Consciousness which migrates and runs on (from existence to existence) and there is no other besides it (that does so)."

MAHATANHASANKHAYA SUTTA
http://www.thisismyanmar.com/nibbana/ti ... hatan1.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech.
Dhammarakkhito

Re: Mind lives on after death?

Post by Dhammarakkhito »

no, mind is dependently arisen
"Just as the ocean has a single taste — that of salt — in the same way, this Dhamma-Vinaya has a single taste: that of release."
— Ud 5.5

https://www.facebook.com/noblebuddhadha ... 34/?type=3

http://seeingthroughthenet.net/
https://sites.google.com/site/santipada ... allytaught
cappuccino

Re:

Post by cappuccino »

pegembara wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:58 am"As I understand the dhamma (the Teaching) as taught by the Bhagava, it is the same Consciousness which migrates and runs on (from existence to existence) and there is no other besides it (that does so)."
Consciousness is continuous, yet changing

same Consciousness is wrong
Coaching
I specialize in Theravada Buddhism.
chownah

Re: Re:

Post by chownah »

cappuccino wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:52 pm Consciousness is continuous, yet changing
Do you have some sutta reference which supports your view.
chownah
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

If I — being asked by Vacchagotta the wanderer if there is no self — were to answer that there is no self, that would be conforming with those brahmans & contemplatives who are exponents of annihilationism [the view that death is the annihilation of consciousness].
Ananda Sutta: To Ananda
Coaching
chownah

Post by chownah »

cappuccino wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:00 am If I — being asked by Vacchagotta the wanderer if there is no self — were to answer that there is no self, that would be conforming with those brahmans & contemplatives who are exponents of annihilationism [the view that death is the annihilation of consciousness].
Ananda Sutta: To Ananda
I don't see how the sutta reference you brought says anything about annihilation of consciousness. Annihilationism with respect to self means that if one that there is a self and it ends at death then this is annihilation of the self but since there is no self then there is nothing to be annihilated.....as I see it.

Perhaps this sutta reference is more to the point:
MN 38
Mahatanhasankhaya Sutta
the Blessed One said to him, "Is it true, Sāti, that this pernicious view has arisen in you — 'As I understand the Dhamma taught by the Blessed One, it is just this consciousness that runs and wanders on, not another'?"....
"And to whom, worthless man, do you understand me to have taught the Dhamma like that? Haven't I, in many ways, said of dependently co-arisen consciousness, 'Apart from a requisite condition, there is no coming-into-play of consciousness'?
chownah
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

How will you cease to exist? By losing body? By losing self?

Any difference it would make, it has already made.
Coaching
chownah

Post by chownah »

cappuccino wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:41 pm How will you cease to exist? By losing body? By losing self?

Any difference it would make, it has already made.
I think that the point is that you will not cease to exist because there is no you in existence....you can't lose self because there is no self to lose....you can't lose something you don't have......you can't annihilate a self because there is no self to annihilate.
chownah
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

because you're selfless already,
there should be no expectation of annihilation

I think atheists expect death, yet that will never happen
Coaching
chownah

Post by chownah »

Thinking about "me dying" gives rise to the delusional self and all the suffering which goes along with it including the suffering which arises from the mistaken view of "me dying".
chownah
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

you cannot die
because you are not there

your existence is happening without you
and will continue
Coaching
chownah

Post by chownah »

the path there is but nobody on it
chownah
User1249x

Re: Re:

Post by User1249x »

There is a big difference between a continuous consciousness and a continium of consciousnesses...
Two analogies;
1) The former is like seeing a train passing while the latter is talking about different trains passing one after another.
2) A passing train seen as: a continuous wagon and continium of individual wagons
Last edited by User1249x on Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

cappuccino wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:00 am [the view that death is the annihilation of consciousness]
The above is not from the sutta but added by the translator. The suttas appear to define annihilationism as follows:
Herein, bhikkhus, a certain recluse or a brahmin asserts the following doctrine and view: 'The self, good sir, has material form; it is composed of the four primary elements and originates from father and mother. Since this self, good sir, is annihilated and destroyed with the breakup of the body and does not exist after death, at this point the self is completely annihilated.' In this way some proclaim the annihilation, destruction, and extermination of an existent being.

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .bodh.html
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati