Study and Experiencing

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism

Study and Experiencing

Postby Hanzze » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:46 pm

Study and Experiencing

Let us talk about the difference between studying Dharma ideas and applying them in practice. ...Such terms are only conventions for teaching; We should not be attached to the language. The only source of true knowledge is to see what is within ourself. Only this kind of study has an end and is the study of real value...In our practice, our tendency is to grasp, to take experiences as me and mine. If you think, '1 am calm, I am agitated, I am good or bad, I am happy or unhappy," this clinging causes more becoming and birth. When happiness ends, suffering appears; when suffering ends, happiness appears. You will see yourself unceasingly vacillating between heaven and hell....I did not practice using textbook terms; I just looked at this one who knows. If it hates someone, question why. If it loves someone, question why. Probing all arising back to its origin, you can solve the problem of clinging and hating and get them to leave you alone. Everything comes back to and arises from the one who knows. But repeated practice is crucial.

Understanding the Buddhas Teachings- A Still Forest Pool by Ajahn Chah
Just that! *smile*
...We Buddhists must find the courage to leave our temples and enter the temples of human experience, temples that are filled with suffering. If we listen to Buddha, Christ, or Gandhi, we can do nothing else. The refugee camps, the prisons, the ghettos, and the battlefields will become our temples. We have so much work to do. ... Peace is Possible! Step by Step. - Samtach Preah Maha Ghosananda "Step by Step" http://www.ghosananda.org/bio_book.html

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Punna Sutta Nate sante baram sokham _()_
Hanzze

Re: Study and Experiencing

Postby ignorant layman » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:05 am

That seems to be the hardest part of the practice for alot of us. To believe the Dhamma is just to have a thought . If the mind is conditioned against it the good thought will be useless. There will be no experience, just a thought. I think this is the point of meditation. It lets us recondition the mind so that we know and do instead of just thinking.
like you said, we have to see within ourselves.
Happiness, wisdom and safety upon you!
ignorant layman

Postby rowyourboat » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:00 am

"When, on observing that the monk is purified with regard to qualities based on delusion, he places conviction in him. With the arising of conviction, he visits him & grows close to him. Growing close to him, he lends ear. Lending ear, he hears the Dhamma. Hearing the Dhamma, he remembers it. Remembering it, he penetrates the meaning of those dhammas. Penetrating the meaning, he comes to an agreement through pondering those dhammas. There being an agreement through pondering those dhammas, desire arises. With the arising of desire, he becomes willing. Willing, he contemplates (lit: "weighs," "compares"). Contemplating, he makes an exertion. Exerting himself, he both realizes the ultimate meaning of the truth with his body and sees by penetrating it with discernment.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/study/stream.html

I think there is an element of listening and absorbing the dhamma, then making it your own (develop right view) and then getting down to practice. Often the middle bit might be missing and jumping straight into meditation may not be the best approach.

with metta

Matheesha
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
rowyourboat

Postby ignorant layman » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:52 am

good point. so if willing contemplation is the bridge between desire and exertion the problem can arise from not having the will to change,(from our own bad conditioning, sloth, ect.) Or poor contemplation (wrong view, complacency, procrastination, ect.) Solving this seems to be a matter of observing ones own thought processes and being painfully honest about them. Thats why its so hard.
Happiness, wisdom and safety upon you!
ignorant layman

Return to General Theravāda discussion