Examples please of self-views?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism

Examples please of self-views?

Postby dhammapal » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:20 am

Majjhima 131 wrote:And how is one taken in with regard to present qualities? There is the case where an uninstructed run-of-the-mill person who has not seen the noble ones, is not versed in the teachings of the noble ones, is not trained in the teachings of the noble ones, sees:
1. form as self,
or 2. self as possessing form,
or 3. form as in self,
or 4. self as in form.
From: Bhaddekaratta Sutta translated from the Pali by Thanissaro Bhikkhu and read aloud

Can anyone offer examples of these 4 permutations? I think the most common ones nowadays are the materialistic views of 1. form of the body as self, 2. self as possessing formed objects and 4. self as in an objective universe of form. Do people oscillate rapidly between the four?

Thanks / dhammapal.
dhammapal

Re: Examples please of self-views?

Postby daverupa » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:29 pm

1. This body is me, it is what I am.
2. This body is mine.
3. This body is one facet of me.
4. Because of this body, I am.

So too with feelings, perceptions, sankhara, and vinnana. For example:

...20. Because of this consciousness, I am. ~Descartes
    "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.
- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
daverupa

Re: Examples please of self-views?

Postby villkorkarma » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:10 pm

I look out to the world and see so much misseary, if there was an I there wouldnt be any I´s performing bad actions and make them selves misserable.
Good parents is needeed?
dont hurt anyone in any sort of way
villkorkarma

Return to General Theravāda discussion