Poll on Retreat attendance

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism

Have you attended a Vipassana/ Samatha retreat of at least two days duration ?

Poll ended at Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:02 pm

1) Yes
69%
2) No
31%

Total votes : 35

Poll on Retreat attendance

Postby PeterB » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:02 pm

Have you attended a Vipassana/ Samatha retreat of at least two days in duration ?
PeterB

Re: Poll on Retreat attendance

Postby phil » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:18 pm

Let me "come out" and say no, I haven't. I feel I can be a devoted lay follower of the Buddha's teaching without it....but that could change if and when I move from Japan to Thailand.
Kammalakkhano , bhikkhave, bālo, kammalakkhano pandito, apadānasobhanī paññāti
(The fool is characterized by his/her actions/the wise one is characterized by his/her actions/Wisdom shines forth in behaviour.)
(AN 3.2 Lakkhana Sutta)
phil

Postby PeterB » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:44 pm

Just out of interest Phil....why would moving from Japan make a difference ?
PeterB

Postby Goofaholix » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:04 pm

PeterB wrote:Have you attended a Vipassana/ Samatha retreat of at least two days in duration ?

Two whole days? gee you're tough. ;)
"Proper effort is not the effort to make something particular happen. It is the effort to be aware and awake each moment." - Ajahn Chah
"When we see beyond self, we no longer cling to happiness. When we stop clinging, we can begin to be happy." - Ajahn Chah
"Know and watch your heart. It’s pure but emotions come to colour it." — Ajahn Chah
Goofaholix

Postby retrofuturist » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:14 pm

Greetings Peter,

Do you means vipassana and/or samatha?

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby PeterB » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:32 pm

Yes Paul.
PeterB

Postby phil » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:12 am

PeterB wrote:Just out of interest Phil....why would moving from Japan make a difference ?

Hi Peter, as far as I have discovered in a few inquiries, the only Theravadin retreats offered here in Japan are through Goenka, which is not my thing. I appreciate the good intent of the firm leadership provided at Goenka retreats, but I would want a retreat where I could be provided with seclusion and time to follow my tradition of meditation, it would certainly be interesting to see if time and seclusion would provide conditions for the rising surface crap to burn off, if you will, so the mind could settle into deeper territories than usual. Maybe a Zen temple would provide me the time and seclusion and leave me to meditate in my tradition, I should look into it. Also I work on weekends and have to use all but a handful of my extra holidays to go visit my elderly parents. OK, enough excuses. But my original point stands, I hope newcomers to Dhamma don't feel going on retreats is the only way to demonstrate keen intent or the only way to make significant progress in overcoming the gross defilements. The Buddha undoubtedly did emphasize the need for physical seclusion, but if we are not going to have it 330 days a year, is it absolutely clear that it is valuable for just 30 or whatever? Maybe it is, I wouldn't know, maybe, like you said the other day, going on retreats supports the daily practice when one is not on retreat, definitely possible, maybe probable.
edit - I realized how stupid the last sentence is. How would I never if I have never been on a retreat? Only speculation. At some point in another thread I would like to hear from people in what ways gains that are made during retreats are built on so that the hindrances and other defilements don't just just come storming back with a vengeance and overrun the mind when the favourable conditions for weakening them are removed.
Kammalakkhano , bhikkhave, bālo, kammalakkhano pandito, apadānasobhanī paññāti
(The fool is characterized by his/her actions/the wise one is characterized by his/her actions/Wisdom shines forth in behaviour.)
(AN 3.2 Lakkhana Sutta)
phil

Return to General Theravāda discussion