Looking for Gradual Discourse on the web

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism

Looking for Gradual Discourse on the web

Postby dhammapal » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:13 am

Majjhima 56 wrote:Then the Blessed One gave the householder ... progressive instruction, that is, talk on giving, talk on virtue, talk on the heavens; he explained the danger, degradation, and defilement in sensual pleasures and the blessing of renunciation. When he knew that the householder['s] ... mind was ready, receptive, free from hindrances, elated, and confident, he expounded to him the teaching special to the Buddhas: suffering, its origin, its cessation, and the path.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anupubbikath%C4%81

Does anyone know of a Dhamma talk on the web that follows this method?

Thanks / dhammapal.
dhammapal

Re: Looking for Gradual Discourse on the web

Postby rowyourboat » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:39 pm

dhammapal wrote:
Majjhima 56 wrote:Then the Blessed One gave the householder ... progressive instruction, that is, talk on giving, talk on virtue, talk on the heavens; he explained the danger, degradation, and defilement in sensual pleasures and the blessing of renunciation. When he knew that the householder['s] ... mind was ready, receptive, free from hindrances, elated, and confident, he expounded to him the teaching special to the Buddhas: suffering, its origin, its cessation, and the path.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anupubbikath%C4%81

Does anyone know of a Dhamma talk on the web that follows this method?

Thanks / dhammapal.

No Dhammapal,

Only a Buddha can deliver such a dhamma talk- and there are none around right now.

with metta

Matheesha
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
rowyourboat

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:53 pm

The Kutadanta Sutta is one good example. The Sāmaññaphala Sutta is another.

There are many others — the Mangala Sutta and Metta Sutta both start with the basics, then lead on to gradually higher and higher practices.
AIM WebsitePāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Bhikkhu Pesala

Postby dhammapal » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:32 am

I found an article "Generosity First" by Thanissaro Bhikkhu which has talk on giving, talk on virtue, talk on counterintuitive forms of happiness and then meditation and letting go of needless suffering.
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... generosity

With metta / dhammapal.
dhammapal

Postby phil » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:07 am

Hi Dhammapal

If you scroll down, you'll find a series of 3 or 4 talks by Bhikkhu Bodhi on the Mangala sutta. I think it lays out a very gradual approach to the Dhamma, very suitable for householders. It is in the terms of the Mangala Sutta rather than the discourse passage (repeated in quite a few suttas) that you refer to, but I think you'll find it similar...

http://www.sobhana.net/audio/english/bodhi/index.htm

By the way, I think about the passage you referred to almost every day and wonder about it. As we know, the suttas in question say that the Buddha didn't teach deeper topics until he was sure the listerners mind was ready, so that the teachings could be absorbed by the mind like dye by a white cloth rather than by a soiled cloth. In this day and age we plunge straight in. And that may be OK, but I wonder about it a lot...
Kammalakkhano , bhikkhave, bālo, kammalakkhano pandito, apadānasobhanī paññāti
(The fool is characterized by his/her actions/the wise one is characterized by his/her actions/Wisdom shines forth in behaviour.)
(AN 3.2 Lakkhana Sutta)
phil

Postby 123ertyy » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:21 am

Hmm, i'd like you to visit Youtube and check for the series dhamma discourse from Ven. Ajahn Brahmavamso. Load up few videos, relax and watch it peacefully :) All the best :D
We die someday.
123ertyy

Return to General Theravāda discussion