Bad kamma

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism

Bad kamma

Postby gingercatni » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:43 pm

Please don't laugh at this, I'm being very serious. 13 years ago i had a goldfish that suddently began swimming upside down, after a while with no change and my mother who worked in a vet clinic telling me that this was not curable I added a poison to the water that killed the fish. I have always regretted doing so, but as what I thought was compassion to my pet who I could not help I thought it was best. Years later the the power of the net I find this can be easily solved. My guilt has increased, I know it's stupid but I love all creatures and I still feel awful all these years later. Any thoughts? :cry:
gingercatni

Re: Bad kamma

Postby cooran » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:11 pm

Hello gingercatni.

You can’t change the past but you can safeguard the future.

How you are feeling is not a wholesome mindstate to allow to continue. It is self-blame. Attanuvada-bhaya fear or danger of self-blame, feeling ashamed and guilty about what one has done.

The practise Metta (LovingKindness) towards yourself and others will help to remove this mulling over and self-blame.
http://www.audiodharma.org/series/1/talk/1728/
http://www.buddhanet.net/metta.htm

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
cooran

Postby retrofuturist » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:18 pm

Greetings,

This a good example of the fruition of kamma (vedana) and that the vedana isn't always proportional to the kamma from which it originated.

The relationship between kamma and vipaka isn't some kind of unverifiable magical superstitious thing. In fact, it's what you've explained in your post... a volitional action done by "I" or "me", yielding a mental resultant for that "I" or "me". If you can transcend ignorant perceptions of "I" or "me" and you'll never feel the effects of vipaka again, but of course that's not easy (as doing so permanently involves arahantship - it's also the reason that arahants are said not to create kamma)... so in the meantime, just face your actions directly - sit with it. Maybe picture the fish and apologise to it.

I'd also like to second Cooran's metta suggestion.

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby gingercatni » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:20 pm

cooran wrote:Hello gingercatni.

You can’t change the past but you can safeguard the future.

How you are feeling is not a wholesome mindstate to allow to continue. It is self-blame. Attanuvada-bhaya fear or danger of self-blame, feeling ashamed and guilty about what one has done.

The practise Metta (LovingKindness) towards yourself and others will help to remove this mulling over and self-blame.
http://www.audiodharma.org/series/1/talk/1728/
http://www.buddhanet.net/metta.htm

with metta
Chris

gingercatni

Postby plwk » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:33 am

If these would be of any help, on top of the excellent ones already mentioned...
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .budd.html
Let go of the past, let go of the future, let go of the present, and cross over to the farther shore of existence.
With mind wholly liberated, you shall come no more to birth and death.

http://www.mahindarama.com/e-tipitaka/s ... sn42-8.htm
'The Blessed One in a variety of ways criticizes & censures the taking of life, and says, "Abstain from taking life."
There are living beings that I have killed, to a greater or lesser extent. That was not right. That was not good.
But if I become remorseful for that reason, that evil deed of mine will not be undone.'
So, reflecting thus, he abandons right then the taking of life, and in the future refrains from taking life.
This is how there comes to be the abandoning of that evil deed.
This is how there comes to be the transcending of that evil deed.

"That noble disciple, headman -- thus devoid of covetousness, devoid of ill will, unbewildered, alert, mindful -- keeps pervading the first direction [the east] with an awareness imbued with good will, likewise the second, likewise the third, likewise the fourth.
Thus above, below, & all around, everywhere, in its entirety, he keeps pervading the all-encompassing cosmos with an awareness imbued with good will -- abundant, expansive, immeasurable, without hostility, without ill will.
Just as a strong conch-trumpet blower can notify the four directions without any difficulty, in the same way, when the release of awareness through good will is thus developed, thus pursued, any deed done to a limited extent no longer remains there, no longer stays there.

"That noble disciple -- thus devoid of covetousness, devoid of ill will, unbewildered, alert, mindful -- keeps pervading the first direction with an awareness imbued with compassion...appreciation...equanimity, likewise the second, likewise the third, likewise the fourth.
Thus above, below, & all around, everywhere, in its entirety, he keeps pervading the all-encompassing cosmos with an awareness imbued with equanimity -- abundant, expansive, immeasurable, without hostility, without ill will.
Just as a strong conch-trumpet blower can notify the four directions without any difficulty, in the same way, when the release of awareness through equanimity is thus developed, thus pursued, any deed done to a limited extent no longer remains there, no longer stays there."

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html
...there should arise fear, terror, or horripilation, then on that occasion you should recollect Me:
'Indeed, the Blessed One is worthy & rightly self-awakened, consummate in knowledge & conduct, well-gone, an expert with regard to the world, unexcelled as a trainer for those people fit to be tamed, the Teacher of divine & human beings, awakened, blessed.'
For when you have recollected me, whatever fear, terror, or horripilation there is will be abandoned.

"If you can't recollect me, then you should recollect the Dhamma:
'The Dhamma is well-expounded by the Blessed One, to be seen here & now, timeless, inviting verification, pertinent, to be realized by the wise for themselves.' For when you have recollected the Dhamma, whatever fear, terror, or horripilation there is will be abandoned.

"If you can't recollect the Dhamma, then you should recollect the Sangha:
'The Sangha of the Blessed One's disciples who have practiced well... who have practiced straight-forwardly... who have practiced methodically... who have practiced masterfully — in other words, the four types of noble disciples when taken as pairs, the eight when taken as individual types — they are the Sangha of the Blessed One's disciples: worthy of gifts, worthy of hospitality, worthy of offerings, worthy of respect, the unexcelled field of merit for the world.'
For when you have recollected the Sangha, whatever fear, terror, or horripilation where is will be abandoned. Why is that?
Because the Tathagata — worthy & rightly self-awakened — is devoid of passion, devoid of aversion, devoid of delusion.
He feels no fear, feels no terror, feels no dread. He doesn't run away."
Bhikkhus, if you develop and make much this one thing,
it invariably leads to weariness, cessation, appeasement, realization and extinction.
What is it? It is recollecting the Enlightened One.
If this single thing is recollected and made much,
it invariably leads to weariness, cessation, appeasement, realization and extinction.

Anguttara-Nikaya: Ekanipata: Ekadhammapali: Pañhamavagga
VSM VMM WBB TBHT WTBT My Page
plwk

Postby rowyourboat » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:44 am

plwk- thank you for posting that sutta on excessive remorse- I didnt realize that a sutta existed that explained this link. :anjali:

with metta

Matheesha
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
rowyourboat

Return to General Theravāda discussion