The Nature of Stream-Entry

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
darvki

The Nature of Stream-Entry

Postby darvki » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:44 am

Is it to be assumed that after stream-entry and death:

* One is reborn without the previously abandoned fetters, making one (if reborn as a human) a newborn that has attained the first path and fruition?

* Or that because the rebirth occurred, the previously abandoned fetters have re-arisen as a body has -- but that because of kamma, one is bound for re-attaining stream-entry at the very least (with further attainments taking place for certain by the sixth or seventh rebirth)?

rowyourboat

Re: The Nature of Stream-Entry

Postby rowyourboat » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:00 am

I think there was a sutta saying that one cannot fall away from stream entry (as in fetters re-appearing once again), but havent seen that particular sutta in a long time.

with metta

Matheesha
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha

rowyourboat

Postby rowyourboat » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:42 pm

34. The Blessings of Stream-entry

There are, O monks, these six blessings in realizing the fruit of stream-entry: One is firm in the good Dhamma. One is unable to fall back. One has set a limit to suffering. One is endowed with uncommon knowledge. One has clearly understood causes and the phenomena arisen by causes. [71]
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha

kiane

Postby kiane » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:34 am

The Buddha Gautama was said to have met the previous Buddha and I supposed Gautama in that incarnation would have gain stream entry...but what I could not understand is why there are 500 more incarnation before he became the present Buddha.Can someone kindly enlighten, many thanks in advance.

Ben
Site Admin

Postby Ben » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:53 am

kiane wrote:The Buddha Gautama was said to have met the previous Buddha and I supposed Gautama in that incarnation would have gain stream entry...but what I could not understand is why there are 500 more incarnation before he became the present Buddha.Can someone kindly enlighten, many thanks in advance.

He was a putthujana when he made his aspiration to become a Buddha - not a sotapanna. He was a putthujana until he sat under the Bodhi Tree.
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com..

Return to “General Theravāda discussion”