The Nature of Stream-Entry

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism

The Nature of Stream-Entry

Postby darvki » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:44 am

Is it to be assumed that after stream-entry and death:

* One is reborn without the previously abandoned fetters, making one (if reborn as a human) a newborn that has attained the first path and fruition?

* Or that because the rebirth occurred, the previously abandoned fetters have re-arisen as a body has -- but that because of kamma, one is bound for re-attaining stream-entry at the very least (with further attainments taking place for certain by the sixth or seventh rebirth)?
darvki

Re: The Nature of Stream-Entry

Postby rowyourboat » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:00 am

I think there was a sutta saying that one cannot fall away from stream entry (as in fetters re-appearing once again), but havent seen that particular sutta in a long time.

with metta

Matheesha
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
rowyourboat

Postby rowyourboat » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:42 pm

34. The Blessings of Stream-entry

There are, O monks, these six blessings in realizing the fruit of stream-entry: One is firm in the good Dhamma. One is unable to fall back. One has set a limit to suffering. One is endowed with uncommon knowledge. One has clearly understood causes and the phenomena arisen by causes. [71]
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
rowyourboat

Postby kiane » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:34 am

The Buddha Gautama was said to have met the previous Buddha and I supposed Gautama in that incarnation would have gain stream entry...but what I could not understand is why there are 500 more incarnation before he became the present Buddha.Can someone kindly enlighten, many thanks in advance.
kiane

Postby Ben » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:53 am

kiane wrote:The Buddha Gautama was said to have met the previous Buddha and I supposed Gautama in that incarnation would have gain stream entry...but what I could not understand is why there are 500 more incarnation before he became the present Buddha.Can someone kindly enlighten, many thanks in advance.

He was a putthujana when he made his aspiration to become a Buddha - not a sotapanna. He was a putthujana until he sat under the Bodhi Tree.
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Return to General Theravāda discussion