Dhammagiri Forest Monastery, Brisbane

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
cooran
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1

Dhammagiri Forest Monastery, Brisbane

Postby cooran » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:17 am

Hello all,

We have had some visitors at Dhammagiri recently. A couple of weeks ago, Ajahn Vajiro from Amaravati Buddhist Monastery in England stayed for some days and gave well-received, lucid teachings, as well as meditating with Lay practitioners.
http://www.amaravati.org/abmnew/index.p ... rticle/13/

Another joyful happening was of Dhamma Wheel member Fijinut arriving from, well, Fiji, for a stay of several weeks. He is doing a self retreat as well as being of service to the two resident Monks - Ajahn Dhammasiha and Ajahn Paramitto.

It was wonderful to meet Fijinut. He made such a good impression on everyone who met him with his courtesy, intelligence, Dhamma knowledge, and attractive personality that we were all wondering how to keep him permanently from the first day. However, his stay will only be a few weeks (this time) .... but we'll see what the future brings ..... :smile:

metta
Chris

edited to correct spelling
Last edited by cooran on Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---

Ben
Site Admin
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1001

Re: Dhammagiri Forest Monestary, Brisbane

Postby Ben » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:28 am

Thanks for the update Chris!
It sounds great!
Hopefully it wasn't too hot a day for you and the monks and the rest of the lay people at dhammagiri today.
Metta

Ben
Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.

Taṃ nadīhi vijānātha:
sobbhesu padaresu ca,
saṇantā yanti kusobbhā,
tuṇhīyanti mahodadhī.

Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia
e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com

AdvaitaJ

Postby AdvaitaJ » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:16 pm

Chris,

You can't keep him there for more than a few years. I haven't told him this yet, but I hope to sail my boat to Fiji and visit him there in 10 years or so. :D

Regards: AdvaitaJ
The birds have vanished down the sky. Now the last cloud drains away.
We sit together, the mountain and me, until only the mountain remains.
Li Bai

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:38 am

Greetings Chris,

Excellent news.

:buddha1:

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)

cooran

Postby cooran » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:53 am

Hello all,

A few happenings at Dhammagiri. Firstly, member: Fijinut who has been so warmly received and valued by the community during his Retreat (including service to Bhante Dhammasiha) over the last weeks, will be leaving in a couple of days. He will be visiting Townsville before returning to Fiji. This is sad, as the community would like to keep him - but aside from holding him in chains, we realise that all is impermanent and life goes on. May we all meet again in this life. :group:

The Dhammagiri Community has purchased the house and 10 acres which border the main property. It has a large modern home and hu-u-ge tractor shed. So we now have a much more comfortable venue for lay practitioners and meetings. The monks will still live in their Kutis over the hill in the forested part of the other 75 acres. But .... the new property has TWO toilets (you men wouldn't understand, so leave it alone :D ).

Bhante Dhammasiha will be away for a couple of weeks teaching in Singapore. He will return to us in the first week of April, 2009.

Luang Por Liem will be visiting Dhammagiri, together with Ajahn Siripanno, from Saturday 18 April to Monday 20 April, 2009. Everyone is welcome to join Dana and Discussion from 10.00 a.m. to 1.00 p.m.
Luang Por Liem Thitadhammo was born in Sri Saket Province in the Northeast of Thailand on the 5th of November, 1940. After higher ordination at twenty years of age, Luang Por practised in several village monasteries thoughout the Northeast until he joined the Forest Tradition in 1969, when he first arrived at Luang Pu Chah's monastery, Wat Nong Pah Pong. He soon became one of Luang Pu Chah's closest disciples. After Luang Pu Chah started becoming severely ill in 1982, he enthrusted Luang Por Liem to run the monastery. Shortly thereafter, as Luang Pu Chah's illness prevented him from speaking, the Sangha of Wat Nong Pah Pong appointed Luang Por Liem to take over the abbotship. He fulfills this duty up to the present day keeping the heritage of Luang Pu Chah's Dhamma and characteristic ways of monastic training available for monks, nuns and lay disciples.

Shortly after his 60th birthday, almost ten years after Luang Pu Chah's death, Luang Por Liem Thitadhammo was given the honorary title of Tan Chao Khun Visuddhi-Samvara Thera by His Majesty the King of Thailand. For the Sangha at Wat Pah Nanachat (Luang Pu Chah's International Forest Monastery of Western and non-Thai monks) Luang Por Liem is not only a dearly respected teacher and guide in the monastic life, but for the last nine years he also conducts every monastic ordination ceremony as the preceptor.
1.In Thailand "Luang Por" is an affectionate and respectful title given to older monks and means "Venerable Father". In a similar way, the appellation "Luang Pu" or "Venerable Grandfather" is used for very senior monks and can confer even greater reverence and respect. "Thita" is a Pali word that translates best as "stable" and is an epithet for Nibbana. Luang Por Liem's ordination name "Thitadhammo" perhaps refers to "insight into the stability of the principles of Dhamma"

2."Tan Chao Khun" is an ecclesiastical title roughly equivalent to a bishop. "Visuddhi" means "purity", carries connotations of authenticity, completion and integrity and is another epithet of Nibbana. "Samvara" translates as "restraint" or "discipline". It can refer to the mental qualities of non-grasping and detachment or to the sublime conduct of one practising the Dhamma. "Thera" refers to an elder monk in the Sangha.

metta
Chris
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---

fijiNut

Dhammagiri Forest Hermitage

Postby fijiNut » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:31 am

DHAMMAGIRI FOREST HERMITAGE

The idea of Dhammagiri is to establish a Hermitage in the Theravada Buddhist forest tradition. It is the first of its kind in Queensland, Australia. The Hermitage's main purpose is to serve as residence for a small number of Buddhist monks.
Based on a strict standard of virtue, the monks are dedicated to renunciation of sensuality and material possessions. In simplicity and solitude they practice meditation to develop states of profound stillness, concentration and bliss (samadhi). The resultant calm and one-pointedness of mind is used to develop insight into things as they really are. Wisdom arises and is progressively deepened in a process of thorough investigation of reality (vipassana), until ultimately the mind is liberated from greed, hatred, and delusion in the experience of Nibbana.
Dhammagiri also supports the lay community in their practice of the Buddhist teachings.
By offering almsfood and other requisites to the monastic community, and by sharing their merits with deceased relatives and all living beings, visitors to the Hermitage develop generosity (dana) in the traditional Buddhist form. After the meal, the senior monk is available for discussion. Visitors can deepen their theoretical knowledge of the Buddha's teaching, and receive instructions and encouragement to apply this knowledge to their own particular problems and conditions in everyday life.
On the weekends, guided meditations provide an opportunity to develop concentration. In lay life with its multiple demands and pressures, calm and clarity often appear unachievable. Dhammagiri serves as a sanctuary of quiet reflection and contemplation, where the serene, natural environment and the teachings from experienced monks allow visitors to rediscover peace in their heart.
May all visitors to Dhammagiri experience the peace of samadhi and may it lead them to understand the. Buddhist teachings on ever deeper levels. May they sharpen their wisdom until insight arises and attachments are abandoned in the realization of Nibbana. May they share all the knowledge, contentment and calm they develop at the Hermitage with all living beings in an attitude of kindness and compassion.
-Bhante Dhammasiha
Attachments
directions.rtf
Directions to Dhammagiri
(15.67 KiB) Downloaded 47 times
programme.rtf
Dhammagiri Programme
(34.28 KiB) Downloaded 48 times
biography.rtf
Bhante Dhammasiha's biography
(7.69 KiB) Downloaded 32 times

fijiNut

Pictures

Postby fijiNut » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:39 am

Pictures attached below
Attachments
DSC00759.JPG
Guest kuti
DSC00759.JPG (82.22 KiB) Viewed 1953 times
DSC00802.JPG
Dhamma talk in the Dhamma hall (temporary tent)
DSC00802.JPG (67.42 KiB) Viewed 1954 times
DSC00797.JPG
Bhante Dhammasiha (closer to camera) and visiting monk Venerable Paramitto
DSC00797.JPG (87.65 KiB) Viewed 1953 times

Ben
Site Admin

Re: Dhammagiri Forest Hermitage

Postby Ben » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:00 am

Thanks Fijinut!
I understand that you caught up with Dhamma Wheel member 'Chris' as well!
Its good to have you back!
Metta

Ben
Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.

Taṃ nadīhi vijānātha:
sobbhesu padaresu ca,
saṇantā yanti kusobbhā,
tuṇhīyanti mahodadhī.

Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia
e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com

fijiNut

Postby fijiNut » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:54 am

Ben,
Its great to be back, and it was my good fortune and kamma to spend time with Bhante Dhammasiha who is a gifted monk.
I would suggest anybody who has a chance to visit this special monastery.
I also had a little time to talk the to the devoted and generous lay community who support this monastery(including Chris). I'm very fortunate and very inspired to have met such devoted lay people in real life.

I'm reminded of SN 45.2 Upaddha Sutta
I have heard that on one occasion the Blessed One was living among the Sakyans. Now there is a Sakyan town named Sakkara. There Ven. Ananda went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, having bowed down to the Blessed One, sat to one side. As he was sitting there, Ven. Ananda said to the Blessed One, "This is half of the holy life, lord: admirable friendship, admirable companionship, admirable camaraderie."1

"Don't say that, Ananda. Don't say that. Admirable friendship, admirable companionship, admirable camaraderie is actually the whole of the holy life. When a monk has admirable people as friends, companions, & comrades, he can be expected to develop & pursue the noble eightfold path........

metta,
fiijiNut

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:02 am

Greetings,

That is very cool.

Thanks for sharing the photos, Fijinut.

How many resident bhikkhus are there?

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)

fijiNut

Postby fijiNut » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:19 am

retro,
There is only 1 resident monk there, Bhante Dhammasiha with Venerable Paramitto visiting from Amravati. He has spent 9 vassas with Ajahn Brahm. Hope the Brisbane sun is compelling enough to pull you from Melbourne come winter time! :tongue:

with metta,
fijiNut

zavk

Re: Dhammagiri Forest Monastery, Brisbane

Postby zavk » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:01 am

Cooran suggested I post these photos which I took during my visit in this thread:

House at the bottom of the hill. This is where the Dhamma talks are held and also where the monks come to collect almsfood.

Guest kuti.

The inside of the kuti.

The inside of the Dhamma tent.

Closeup of the altar.

Dhamma Wheel at the top of the hill, overlooking Bhante Dhammasiha's kuti.

Morning fog.

A spider, probably meditating.

This leaf caught my eye while waiting to present breakfast to the monks. I thought it embodied the Dhamma: That all life is subject to aging, decay and death. Yet, in impermanence is beauty, beautiful because fleeting.

And here is the python who came out to bathe in the sun one morning as I was finishing my breakfast.

Gave me a quizzical look before slithering back into the bush.

I felt the urge to touch it but I thought it best not to!

Back into the bush.
With metta,
zavk

cooran

Postby cooran » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:14 am

Dear Ed,

Thank you for posting these photos.

The Python is still around. And a few other sorts of snakes as well. Bhante Paramito said there was considerable interest among his friends at Amaravati when he told them about the python. :tongue:

Having the Dhamma teachings down at the house has the immeasurable benefit of sitting in an Airconditioned Dhammasala versus the Tent at the Top - in 35C temperatures it's a no-contest. :smile:

Tomorrow, Bhante Dhammasiha, Bhante Paramito and 25 or so lay persons are heading to the airport to go first to Bangkok overnight, and then to India for a Pilgrimage. Two weeks touring the four holy sites and then a week meditating in BodhGaya. Can't wait.
Wish you were coming .... but maybe next time .... we are hinting to Bhante Dhammasiha that maybe we could go again in about two years.

with metta
Chris

BlackBird
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 6

Postby BlackBird » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:08 am

Hey good luck on your travels Chris, hope it's a fruitful time for you and all those who are with you :)

metta
Jack
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Return to “General Theravāda discussion”