Complacency Re Animal Rebirth

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism

Complacency Re Animal Rebirth

Postby dhammapal » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:06 am

Hi,

I am lacking a sense of urgency to avoid rebirth as an animal. Thoughts of birth in the unspeakable cruelty of hell seems like persecutory delusions, and hungry ghost sounds extremely deprived which my generosity should avoid, but I've been complacent that at least I would be a very rich ant. I have the idea that if I was a tiny insect I would have a greatly reduced carbon footprint and consumption.

I think the Buddha compared rebirth in the animal realm as falling into a sewer. Anyone have a link?

Thanks / dhammapal.
dhammapal

Re: Complacency Re Animal Rebirth

Postby retrofuturist » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:26 am

Greetings,

I am lacking a sense of urgency to avoid rebirth as an animal.

Act like a dog, become a dog.

Act like an ox, become an ox.

How might one act if one does not wish to become an animal?

See:

MN 57: Kukkuravatika Sutta
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .nymo.html

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby dhammapal » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:42 pm

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,

I am lacking a sense of urgency to avoid rebirth as an animal.

Act like a dog, become a dog.

Act like an ox, become an ox.

How might one act if one does not wish to become an animal?

See:

MN 57: Kukkuravatika Sutta
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .nymo.html

Metta,
Retro. :)

I'm read up on the practices to avoid animal rebirth e.g. celibacy. My question was how to not be complacent about the suffering of the animal realm.

Thanks / dhammapal.
dhammapal

Postby cooran » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:36 am

dhammapal wrote:Hi,

I am lacking a sense of urgency to avoid rebirth as an animal. Thoughts of birth in the unspeakable cruelty of hell seems like persecutory delusions, and hungry ghost sounds extremely deprived which my generosity should avoid, but I've been complacent that at least I would be a very rich ant. I have the idea that if I was a tiny insect I would have a greatly reduced carbon footprint and consumption.

I think the Buddha compared rebirth in the animal realm as falling into a sewer. Anyone have a link?

Thanks / dhammapal.

Hello dhammapal,

I think you may be referring to this:

32. "Sariputta, there are these four kinds of generation. What are the four? Egg-born generation, womb-born generation, moisture-born generation and spontaneous generation.

33. "What is egg-born generation? There are these beings born by breaking out of the shell of an egg; this is called egg-born generation. What is womb-born generation? There are these beings born by breaking out from the caul; this is called womb-born generation. What is moisture-born generation? There are these beings born in a rotten fish, in a rotten corpse, in rotten dough, in a cesspit, or in a sewer; this is called moisture-born generation. What is spontaneous generation? There are gods and denizens of hell and certain human beings and some beings in the lower worlds; this is called spontaneous generation. These are the four kinds of generation.
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .ntbb.html

with metta
Chirs
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
cooran

Postby dhammapal » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:01 am

dhammapal wrote:I think the Buddha compared rebirth in the animal realm as falling into a sewer. Anyone have a link?

Thanks / dhammapal.

I've got no idea where I read it. The Buddha gave similes for rebirth in hell, hungry ghost, animal, human and deva realms.

Thanks / dhammapal.
dhammapal

Return to General Theravāda discussion