Uposatha?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism

Uposatha?

Postby whynotme » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:17 pm

Hi,

Does anyone here practice Uposatha? I tried but it was hard, especially the one mean per day, my body tired, I couldn't work well so I gave up. What is your experience?

Regards.
Please stop following me
whynotme

Re: Uposatha?

Postby David N. Snyder » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:31 pm

The precept is to not eat solid foods beyond noon (juice in the evening is okay). I believe it is okay to eat two meals (breakfast, lunch) before noon. There have been at least a few threads already on the One meal a day program:

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=3045
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby bodom » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:34 pm

The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
bodom

Postby mlswe » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:24 pm

the discipline bred contentment with simplicity and character from self-restraint
mlswe

Postby whynotme » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:53 pm

Thanks,

I have another questions. I am a funny guy, I like to joke and often joking around. I don't mean to lie, and I know that joking isn't good as it is an attachment with joy. But does joking is considered a false speech, or a lie? Because sometimes I said something that isn't true for a joke. What is the right attitude?

And the high and luxury bed, what is considered a high bed? In Uposatha days I slept on the floor but sometimes it was hard because of the environment. Could a low and simple bed be allowed? And if yes, what is a low and simple bed?

Regards.
Please stop following me
whynotme

Postby bodom » Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:14 pm

I have another questions. I am a funny guy, I like to joke and often joking around. I don't mean to lie, and I know that joking isn't good as it is an attachment with joy. But does joking is considered a false speech, or a lie? Because sometimes I said something that isn't true for a joke. What is the right attitude?

Yes. Lying for the sake of a joke is still lying:

When delusion is the principal motive, the result is a less pernicious type of falsehood: the irrational lie, the compulsive lie, the interesting exaggeration, lying for the sake of a joke.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... toend.html

And the high and luxury bed, what is considered a high bed? In Uposatha days I slept on the floor but sometimes it was hard because of the environment. Could a low and simple bed be allowed? And if yes, what is a low and simple bed?

See here:

The last precept concerns sleep. Just as all the other luxuries have been cut out, so the luxury of a large, soft bed should be dispensed with for this night. In warm Buddhist countries a mat on the floor is enough, but where the weather is colder a hard mattress or folded blankets on the floor could be used. On a hard surface the body actually relaxes more than on a soft one, also there is less desire to sleep long. On these nights an effort should be made to restrict sleep to the minimum. A "large bed" means one in which two people sleep. The Buddhist who practices these precepts for a day and a night always sleeps by himself.

And here:

Questions and Answers

The eighth precept does not permit the use of high or large beds. It is still not clear what is meant here. Perhaps even the one who is observing the precepts doesn't understand completely. What is meant by a large bed, and what are the measurements that make a large bed unallowable?

Beds and stools, made of boards, rattan or cloth, may have many curved or straight legs. The bed should not exceed 8 sugata inches (approximately 20 modern inches [3]) in height, measured from the base board down. Exceeding this height would make the bed unallowable. In the case of a square stool, even if the legs exceed 8 sugata inches it is still allowable. If a bed has a back and side boards, even if it is a little over the prescribed dimensions it is allowable. A bed or stool that has legs longer than the allowed measurements but which is fixed in place is allowable. A bed which does not have a head board may, by putting wood under the legs, be elevated up to but not exceeding 8 sugata inches. High beds and seats tend to lead to boastfulness and excitement. Thus the purpose behind not sitting or lying on high seats or beds is to avoid the possibility of such things leading to lust.

What are the characteristics of beds and stools?

The bed is long and is for reclining upon. The stool is for sitting on and is either round or four-sided.

How many arms-widths or forearms-lengths in size before a bed is too big for use?

The bed is not measured in this fashion. The term 'big' here refers to coverings and decorations that should not be used. The Atthakatha Acariyas have arranged a list of nineteen.

A seat adorned with images of fierce animals such as tigers, crocodiles, etc.
Pelts with long fur. (The hairs exceed four inches in length.)
Spreads made of wool, which are intricately embroidered.
Spreads made of wool, with intricate designs.
Spreads made of wool, with pictures of flowers.
Spreads made of wool, with intricate pictures of various animals.
Spreads made of wool, with hair on both sides.
Spreads made of wool, with hair on one side.
Spreads made out of tiger skins.
Red canopy furnishings.
Elephant rugs.
Horse rugs.
Chariot rugs.
Spreads woven of gold and silk and trimmed in gold.
Spreads woven of silk and trimmed in gold.
A woolen spread big enough for 16 dancers to dance on.
Spreads made from civet pelts.
Beds with red cushions at both ends.
A mattress stuffed with nothing but kapok.

Another explanation of the term 'big' or 'large' bed here is that it refers to a bed big enough for two or more persons. Those who keep the Uposatha precepts stay away from beds such as these, which are meant for couples.

What mattresses (stuffings) are allowable?

Mattresses stuffed with wool or feathers or with fur from bipeds or quadrupeds but not with human hair.
Mattresses stuffed with cloth.
Mattresses stuffed with bark.
Mattresses stuffed with grass.
Mattresses stuffed with leaves, except for the leaves of the Borneo camphor. The leaves of the Borneo camphor, if mixed with the leaves of other trees, are allowable.

Mattresses in the above list have been allowed by the Buddha.

According to the Sutta, it is not allowable to lie on a large or high bed. Would it be considered a breach of the precept to sit on a large or high bed?

Even though the Sutta mentions only lying down, the Atthakatha Acariyas here include sitting as well. This is similar to the seventh precept, where the Atthakatha Acariyas include listening in the prohibition against the watching of dancing, singing, etc. Standing or walking on a seat or bed is not prohibited.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... ha.html#qa

:anjali:
The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
bodom

Postby whynotme » Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:49 pm

Thank you bodom,

I will stop lying for the sake of a joke

May the Buddha's teaching guide us all

Regards.
Please stop following me
whynotme

Postby bodom » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:25 pm

whynotme wrote:I will stop lying for the sake of a joke

Most often the funniest jokes are the ones based on reality anyway.

:anjali:
bodom

Postby whynotme » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:40 pm

I feel happy to join a Therevada forum, most of Buddhists where I live are Mahayana, and it's difficult to discuss with them

What do you think about jobs that deal with imagination like writer, actor,.. mostly the entertainment industry? They always say things that not true, not real, are those things lies?

Regards.
Please stop following me
whynotme

Postby mlswe » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:32 pm

if it doesnt claim to be a true story, i dont think "lie" can apply to a piece of art

edit* altough if you are spreading propaganda and claiming it is art thats another story( :smile: ) however still somewhat complex
mlswe

Postby alan » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:57 am

Where do you live?
alan

Return to General Theravāda discussion