Do arahants have emotions?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Sacha G

Do arahants have emotions?

Post by Sacha G »

Hello
For long, I've thought that arahants don't have emotions, at least no negative one. But recently I've heard from some (and especially Ajahn Amaro) that they do, but that they are detached from them
What do you think?
Sacha G :hello:
Pali and Theravada texts:
http://dhamma.webnode.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DNS
Site Admin

Re: Do arahants have emotions?

Post by DNS »

From what I understand, Arahants have emotions, namely:

metta, karuna, mudita, uppekha

nothing more, nothing less.
Nori

Post by Nori »

Is not every minutest action driven by desire, intention and emotion?

Why would one decide to stand, sit down or take a single step?
jackson

Post by jackson »

David N. Snyder wrote:From what I understand, Arahants have emotions, namely:

metta, karuna, mudita, uppekha

Greetings David,
Are you saying an Arahant doesn't feel happiness? And also I seem to recall when one of the Buddha's chief disciples passed away he compared it to the sun going out, my memory may be off and I may have misinterpreted what he meant, so if someone knows the Sutta I'd appreciate if they could share it. Looking forward to this discussion!
With metta, :smile:
Jackson
"The heart of the path is quite easy. There’s no need to explain anything at length. Let go of love and hate and let things be. That’s all that I do in my own practice." - Ajahn Chah
Kenshou

Post by Kenshou »

Piti and sukha might be thought of as emotions, and as members of the 7 factors or awakening I would think that arahants would possess them, at least some of the time.

"Emotion" is a little bit of a vague word, though.
Kenshou

Post by Kenshou »

Edit: Post was too vague, too lazy to clarify it, don't worry about it.
Last edited by Kenshou on Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Jackson,
jackson wrote:
David wrote:metta, karuna, mudita, uppekha

Greetings David,
Are you saying an Arahant doesn't feel happiness?
These emotions are happy and/or peaceful ones.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
jackson

Post by jackson »

Hi everyone,
I managed to find the quote I was thinking of, but I can't find the original source. Here it is:
"There's a famous quotation from the time the Buddha learned of the deaths of two of his greatest disciples:
'It's as if the sun and the moon have left the sky.'
From that quotation, I would guess that while the Buddha loved all beings everywhere, with no exclusion, he also had relationships that were special to him, and he felt their loss."
Sharon Salzberg, “The Open Heart,”

Anyway, I'm wondering what the source for this quotation is, as I'm having trouble finding more info about it, and I'd also like to hear your thoughts on Sharon Salzberg's interpretation of it.
Much appreciation for this topic! :smile:
Jackson
"The heart of the path is quite easy. There’s no need to explain anything at length. Let go of love and hate and let things be. That’s all that I do in my own practice." - Ajahn Chah
Digity

Post by Digity »

I don't think arahants turn into emotionless robots. I imagine their relationship with emotions is much different and healthier than the average person.
Ben

Post by Ben »

So far all we have is different members opinions. And opinions based on what exactly?
Can anyone bring any textual support for their contentions?
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Nori

Post by Nori »

Digity wrote:I don't think arahants turn into emotionless robots. I imagine their relationship with emotions is much different and healthier than the average person.
I like the way you to put this. If I had to speculate based on my understanding, there is some sorts of emotion until their dissolution.
Last edited by Nori on Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kenshou

Post by Kenshou »

Ben wrote:So far all we have is different members opinions. And opinions based on what exactly?
Can anyone bring any textual support for their contentions?
The niramisa sutta shows a few examples of how an arahant can experience happiness, joy, and equanimity.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .nypo.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"And what is the still greater unworldly joy? When a taint-free monk looks upon his mind that is freed of greed, freed of hatred, freed of delusion, then there arises joy. This called a 'still greater unworldly joy.'

"And what is the still greater unworldly happiness? When a taint-free monk looks upon his mind that is freed of greed, freed of hatred, freed of delusion, then there arises happiness. This is called a 'still greater unworldly happiness.'

"And what is the still greater unworldly equanimity? When a taint-free monk looks upon his mind that is freed of greed, freed of hatred and freed of delusion, then there arises equanimity. This is called a 'still greater unworldly equanimity.'
Ben

Post by Ben »

Ah thank you Kenshou for your substantive contribution!

But do you think happiness, joy and equanimity that are experienced as the result of developing jhana and/or vipassana are emotions? Are they the same happiness, joy and equanimity that an uninstructed run-of-the-mill worldling experiences? If so, why and what support do you have? If not, why and what support do you have?
The questions are not directed specifically to you Kenshou - but to anyone.
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

Nori

Post by Nori »

Ben wrote:But do you think happiness, joy and equanimity that are experienced as the result of developing jhana and/or vipassana are emotions? Are they the same happiness, joy and equanimity that an uninstructed run-of-the-mill worldling experiences? ...
There is another sutta which describes the various jhanas. In it, it describes that even this unworldly joy, described above, subsides in the higher jhanas. I cannot answer your question with certainty, but I would suspect that it is some sort of feeling/emotion.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Nori,
Nori wrote:
Ben wrote:But do you think happiness, joy and equanimity that are experienced as the result of developing jhana and/or vipassana are emotions? Are they the same happiness, joy and equanimity that an uninstructed run-of-the-mill worldling experiences? ...
There is another sutta which describes the various jhanas.
Quote and citation, please!
I think a discussion based on textual evidence and reason is far more beneficial and interesting than one based on mere opinions and speculations.
kind regards

Ben

- Sutta Nipata 3.725