consoling my mom

Theravāda in the 21st century - modern applications of ancient wisdom

consoling my mom

Postby sgriff2514 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:02 am

yesterday my Mom came home from work and found her three year old bull dog dead. he had a seizure and when he comes out of it he would get really edgy. he tried to squeeze out of the top of the cage and ended up getting his collar stuck and strangled to death. my mom and my entire family are huge animal lovers and losing this dog was terrible because he was the only one to survive out of a litter of 8. i was trying to search and find some Buddhist views on death that may help my mom however little it can be to read and make her feel a little bit better. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Hank was his name.

Thanks
sgriff2514

Re: consoling my mom

Postby retrofuturist » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:29 am

Greetings,

In terms of what might be useful for you, as one who accepts the Buddha's teaching is...

Sn 3.8: Salla Sutta
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .irel.html

... however, your mother may not share this world-view and as such, may not find consolation in it. In fact, it might anger her.

Whatever you do, best to regard her with compassion and endeavour to help her through her grief, using the Buddha's teachings to support yourself (and thus making you of more use to her as a support).

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby cooran » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:24 am

If your mother is not a Buddhist, I wouldn’t try talking Buddhism to her.

This page may give you some understanding and some ideas:
The Emotions of Pet Loss - by Moira Anderson Allen, M.Ed.
http://www.pet-loss.net/emotions.shtml

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
cooran

Postby daverupa » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:49 am

Manifest the brahmaviharas, and then display your citta for her to read.

:heart:
    "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.
- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
daverupa

Return to Theravāda for the modern world