Goenka vipassana
4%
Mahayana
7%

Total votes: 375

linda0012

Re: What tradition do you follow?

Postby linda0012 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:41 am

Upasaka wrote:Thai Forest tradition for me.

For me too. I also like that tradition.

Disciple

Postby Disciple » Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:16 pm

My main practice/tradition now is Dzogchen. No more wandering from tradition to tradition, this is it. :smile:

NotMe

Postby NotMe » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:58 am

linda0012 wrote:
Upasaka wrote:Thai Forest tradition for me.

For me too. I also like that tradition.

What they said.

colathenut

Postby colathenut » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:03 am

I'm not sure! I suppose Modern Theravada describes my approach to the Dhamma, but then General Theravada is another apt way of putting it. I am still very isolated from fellow Buddhists in my area, so my practice of Theravada is being developed largely by the Dhammawiki and the Pali Cannon, with guides from Access to Insight.

Perhaps you should add an option for "E-Theravada!"

JMGinPDX

Postby JMGinPDX » Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:30 pm

Thai Forest for me, mostly through convenience and proximity - the closest Dhamma center to where I live that also has children's programs, and has a path for taking the Precepts, is in the Thai Forest lineage (Portland Friends of Dhamma Center...fortunately they are also wonderful people from what I've seen so far!)

However, it's also by sensibility - I came to Buddhism from a decades-long agnosticism preceded by a childhood as a P.K. in Christian fundamentalism. So some of the more....esoteric, to be polite...concepts of most major religions have never resonated with me.
My study started with various Mahayana and Vajrayana styles, but I found them exhausting in terms of the high level of cultural/societal influence on the basic teachings. I'm highly respectful of them, but feel I need something more....foundational.
I tried the more vipassana-oriented insight meditation/Secular Buddhism approach, but it was TOO secular. I like my "rational" and "logical" with just a dash of "spiritual." :anjali: :buddha2:

gateisred

Postby gateisred » Wed May 04, 2016 4:08 am

I would probably have to say Modern Theravada or a "western" Theravada as I am more secular. I don't really consider myself to be dedicated to any sect of Buddhism, I just identify with Theravada the most.
Hostilities aren't stilled through hostility, regardless.
Hostilities are stilled through non-hostility:
this, an unending truth.
:buddha1:

Return to “General Theravāda discussion”