Goenka vipassana
4%
Mahayana
7%

Total votes: 423

linda0012

Re: What tradition do you follow?

Postby linda0012 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:41 am

Upasaka wrote:Thai Forest tradition for me.

For me too. I also like that tradition.

Disciple

Postby Disciple » Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:16 pm

My main practice/tradition now is Dzogchen. No more wandering from tradition to tradition, this is it. :smile:

NotMe

Postby NotMe » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:58 am

linda0012 wrote:
Upasaka wrote:Thai Forest tradition for me.

For me too. I also like that tradition.

What they said.

colathenut

Postby colathenut » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:03 am

I'm not sure! I suppose Modern Theravada describes my approach to the Dhamma, but then General Theravada is another apt way of putting it. I am still very isolated from fellow Buddhists in my area, so my practice of Theravada is being developed largely by the Dhammawiki and the Pali Cannon, with guides from Access to Insight.

Perhaps you should add an option for "E-Theravada!"

JMGinPDX

Postby JMGinPDX » Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:30 pm

Thai Forest for me, mostly through convenience and proximity - the closest Dhamma center to where I live that also has children's programs, and has a path for taking the Precepts, is in the Thai Forest lineage (Portland Friends of Dhamma Center...fortunately they are also wonderful people from what I've seen so far!)

However, it's also by sensibility - I came to Buddhism from a decades-long agnosticism preceded by a childhood as a P.K. in Christian fundamentalism. So some of the more....esoteric, to be polite...concepts of most major religions have never resonated with me.
My study started with various Mahayana and Vajrayana styles, but I found them exhausting in terms of the high level of cultural/societal influence on the basic teachings. I'm highly respectful of them, but feel I need something more....foundational.
I tried the more vipassana-oriented insight meditation/Secular Buddhism approach, but it was TOO secular. I like my "rational" and "logical" with just a dash of "spiritual." :anjali: :buddha2:

gateisred

Postby gateisred » Wed May 04, 2016 4:08 am

I would probably have to say Modern Theravada or a "western" Theravada as I am more secular. I don't really consider myself to be dedicated to any sect of Buddhism, I just identify with Theravada the most.
Hostilities aren't stilled through hostility, regardless.
Hostilities are stilled through non-hostility:
this, an unending truth.
:buddha1:

stephx

Postby stephx » Sun May 29, 2016 1:14 am

Thai Forest tradition.
I am studying under Thanissaro Bhikkhu through his tremendous wealth of talks and writings available online.
Such a gift.

ECS

Postby ECS » Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:51 pm

In my current mind , Buddhism is the natural process of all existence regardless living or non-living travelling naturally back into the original state before existence , the state of nothingness .....as human , Buddhism is the natural process of realization , realizing own existence and cause of existence - the emotion ........as human realize he is emotion , he is desire / love / hate / anger / worry / fear / greed / ego etc and he realize he is constantly in a natural process of forgetting all emotion , he will no longer holds on to the mind , he no longer hold on to emotion ... he realize that by holding on to emotion / the mind is just like trying to stop a moving train with his leg ... this will lead to suffering ... he realize that holding on to desire / love / greed / fear etc is suffering and as he awaken to this , he no longer hold the mind as he realize he is the mind ......and as he travel further , all emotion will gradually and naturally forgotten / decreases .....into a condition of emptiness and back into the original state of nothingness .

So if one created desire to choose what to follow , what to believe , what to learn etc ... one emotion will increases meaning that as one hold on to his mind and continue to creates emotion , continue to gain knowledge , continue to creates beliefs / faith ... emotion will increase and as such he will travel longer journey into realization of this and suffering will be the nature of this path ...

So regardless what tradition you choose , as long as you created something to hold on to the mind , that is suffering ....

I hope to debate with any Buddhism Master for my own learning process

akashdhamma

Postby akashdhamma » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:22 pm

The Dhamma has one taste.

I feel among the different traditions there is mainly an underlying difference in emphasis of a particular aspect(s) of the dhamma, but every tradition includes every aspect of the essential teaching of Shila, Samadhi & Pannya.

My own practice is derived from almost every option on the list except for Sri Lankan & Thai (not Thai Forest), because I am not well versed with these traditions.

Although heavily influenced by the Suttas preserved by Theraveda traditions - I dont see much contradiction in the Mahayana philosophy. The intent behind Mahayana and the philosophy in itself is a genuine fabrication meant to facilitate a bodhisattva's journey (or initiate future bodhisattva's), but many of the practices that have come to be seem inefficient and a diversion from the essence of the way.

For example: esoteric transmissions, tantra, mandalas, sexual practice/visualizations, etc may not really be necessary and might just be a waste of precious resources that may be better utilized by simply trying to develop the paramittas - but who knows, perhaps these are the conditions to develop certain qualities that wont arise otherwise.

All in all, I feel that all the traditions - including Zen & Chan have potential to lead people towards growth & Nibanna, and all traditions have produced wonderful teachers who understood the dhamma as it is, beyond the veils. The most essential factor of the path is Kamma. If we consciously create kusala kamma with our minds focused on nibanna, then the kamma will act as a fuel towards this goal and everything else that is necessary for us to reach there will manifest by the potentials of our kamma.
Tam Kho Panna Bhagavatam :
Evam Kalyanno,
Kitti Saado,
Abhu Gaato

justindesilva

Postby justindesilva » Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:32 pm

I have spent my time in many parts ofbthr globe and I was questioning about true buddhism and theistic religions since I was a child. My studies which followed studying all religions ended up when I realised that we beings are born on the earth as per samsara for manifestation of universal energy and the balance of thevdolat system extending to the universe. However Lord budda realising this truth to guide us treated us with agganna sutra which is close to the big bang theory in modern cosmology.
We are trapped in this venture with avidya (moha) ,greed (loba) and dvesha . Withnthid in mind I refuse to follow any tradition but follow budda dharma by reading matter from any tradition of it suits my knowledge. I am much impressed by the aranyawasi priests who divulge real facts from buddhist Dharma. Maithri.

padmini

Postby padmini » Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:03 am

Hickersonia wrote:while most of my reading has focused on the Theravada tradition, the only local Sangha I've found to be accessible to me is Tibetan, and I find that I'm actually very comfortable with that too...

Really?
Actually I have the same "problem". I feel the Theravada teachings are closer to me and I'm trying to learn Vipassana and reading about Theravada practices, but the nearest centre is Tibetan. What should I do?

I'm not sure, I worry mixing traditions so early in the path might just get me confused.

Anyway, I voted "general" as my knowledge of the different schools is not deep enough to choose one yet.
The Buddha's path is simple and meant for ordinary people; anyone with goodwill and determination can follow its steps toward freedom of heart and mind
-- Ven. Ayya Khema

justindesilva

Postby justindesilva » Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:56 pm

A mahayana buddhist priest who trotted the globe around 1500 and came to sri lanka, finally emphasised that the teachings of Buddha only lies within the four noble truths. I too endorse this fact.
Like various sects of Christianity or Moslems traditions of buddhism too had been changing with the cultures of the societies. One of the best examples is buddhism in sri lanka mixed with Hinduism. But it is up to the skilled and intelligent follower to select the right and wrong with "samma ditthi"

Spiny Norman

Postby Spiny Norman » Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:24 pm

padmini wrote:
Hickersonia wrote:while most of my reading has focused on the Theravada tradition, the only local Sangha I've found to be accessible to me is Tibetan, and I find that I'm actually very comfortable with that too...

Really?
Actually I have the same "problem". I feel the Theravada teachings are closer to me and I'm trying to learn Vipassana and reading about Theravada practices, but the nearest centre is Tibetan. What should I do?

I'm not sure, I worry mixing traditions so early in the path might just get me confused.

Anyway, I voted "general" as my knowledge of the different schools is not deep enough to choose one yet.

There is no harm in visiting the Tibetan group, and you don't have to make any commitments - the approach will be different though. How much further away is your nearest Theravada group?
Are you familiar with the Buddhanet world directory? http://www.buddhanet.info/wbd/
"My religion is very simple - my religion is ice-cream."
Dairy Lama

padmini

Postby padmini » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:16 am

Spiny Norman wrote:There is no harm in visiting the Tibetan group, and you don't have to make any commitments - the approach will be different though. How much further away is your nearest Theravada group?
Are you familiar with the Buddhanet world directory? http://www.buddhanet.info/wbd/

Thank you. I know about Buddhanet, and from that and other research I made it seems like the closest Theravada group (http://santacittarama.altervista.org) is some 500 km from here. I could go there once in a while for a retreat but not regularly.

It's not that I don't want to meet the Tibetan group, it's just that so early in the path I think I might mix up things and end up doing nothing properly. I don't know.
The Buddha's path is simple and meant for ordinary people; anyone with goodwill and determination can follow its steps toward freedom of heart and mind
-- Ven. Ayya Khema

Spiny Norman

Postby Spiny Norman » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:49 am

padmini wrote:
Spiny Norman wrote:There is no harm in visiting the Tibetan group, and you don't have to make any commitments - the approach will be different though. How much further away is your nearest Theravada group?

Thank you. I know about Buddhanet, and from that and other research I made it seems like the closest Theravada group (http://santacittarama.altervista.org) is some 500 km from here. I could go there once in a while for a retreat but not regularly.

It's not that I don't want to meet the Tibetan group, it's just that so early in the path I think I might mix up things and end up doing nothing properly. I don't know.

On balance I would say that it is better to have a sangha than not, even if it is not in one's preferred tradition. Are there any other traditions locally you could look at?
"My religion is very simple - my religion is ice-cream."
Dairy Lama

padmini

Postby padmini » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:16 am

Spiny Norman wrote:
On balance I would say that it is better to have a sangha than not, even if it is not in one's preferred tradition. Are there any other traditions locally you could look at?

Thank you. I'll see if there are any Theravada informal meditation groups in the area, otherwise I'll go to the Tibetan one.

Very close to my house there's a Soka Gakkai group, but I know their practice is very different and I don't share their view so I prefer not to go there.
-- Ven. Ayya Khema

Dan74

Postby Dan74 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:45 am

I follow the Korean Zen tradition (called Seon), which is similar to classical Linchi. There is a good balance of Zen practical focus on the here-and-now, study and ethics, IMO and I like the fact that contact with the teacher is important.

I have a great fondness for the Thai Forest tradition as well as for a number of other Theravada teachers and of course love the Pali suttas.
_/|\_

Jay15191

Postby Jay15191 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:44 pm

theravada_guy wrote:I just follow general Theravada. I'm somewhat in contact with a bhikkhu from Sri Lanka, and I'm trying to set up a time to go and see him to take formal Refuge and Precepts, but he's pretty busy. I think they're planning on building a meditation center up where he's at, which is about 45 miles from where I live.

When I meditate, I just concentrate on the breath. I haven't started doing metta meditation yet, but I need too, pretty badly.

hi there
can i contact to that bhikkhu ??

Return to “General Theravāda discussion”