Ajahn Chah Remembrance Day 2011

Theravāda in the 21st century - modern applications of ancient wisdom

Ajahn Chah Remembrance Day 2011

Postby yamaka » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:32 am

yamaka

Re: Ajahn Chah Remembrance Day 2011

Postby sattva » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:09 pm

First of all, I didn't open the PDF file, but searched online for something on the subject. I am uncertain as to why his remembermce day should be in December when he died in January. Do you know the reason for this, yamaka?
:anjali:

Here are several links I found on the subject.
http://trccpenchala.blogspot.com/2011/1 ... -acrd.html

http://www.mysinchew.com/node/33270
Wishing: In gladness and in safety,
May all beings be at ease.
---from the Metta Sutta
sattva

Postby Goofaholix » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:58 pm

sattva wrote:First of all, I didn't open the PDF file, but searched online for something on the subject. I am uncertain as to why his remembermce day should be in December when he died in January. Do you know the reason for this, yamaka?

Looking at the links you'll notice there are many Ajahn Chah monks in attendance, as there were in previous years I think.

If this were held in January they wouldn't be able to attend similar events in Thailand, not many of them having perfected the ability to be in two places at once ;)

Simple really.
"Whenever we feel that we are definitely right, so much so that we refuse to open up to anything or anybody else, right there we are wrong. It becomes wrong view. When suffering arises, where does it arise from? The cause is wrong view, the fruit of that being suffering. If it was right view it wouldn't cause suffering." - Ajahn Chah
"Remember you dont meditate to get anything, but to get rid of things. We do it, not with desire, but with letting go. If you want anything, you wont find it." - Ajahn Chah
Goofaholix

Postby yamaka » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:49 am

Goofaholix wrote:
sattva wrote:First of all, I didn't open the PDF file, but searched online for something on the subject. I am uncertain as to why his remembermce day should be in December when he died in January. Do you know the reason for this, yamaka?

Looking at the links you'll notice there are many Ajahn Chah monks in attendance, as there were in previous years I think.

If this were held in January they wouldn't be able to attend similar events in Thailand, not many of them having perfected the ability to be in two places at once ;)

Simple really.

Certainly :anjali:
yamaka

Postby yamaka » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:52 am

Dear all,

For your information, this occasion will be led by Ven. Ajahn Nyanadhammo and many others western elder monks of Ajahn Chah.

yamaka

Postby sattva » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:01 am

Goofaholix wrote:Looking at the links you'll notice there are many Ajahn Chah monks in attendance, as there were in previous years I think.

Simple really.

ahhh, yes!

Can you tell i am not a detail person? :namaste:
Wishing: In gladness and in safety,
May all beings be at ease.
---from the Metta Sutta
sattva

Postby Bankei » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:31 am

I must say I find this sort of thing strange.
-----------------------
Bankei
Bankei

Postby gavesako » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:01 pm

This event is organized by a generous sponsor in Malaysia who has faith in the Ajahn Chah tradition and prints many books for free distribution. That is why many senior monks have made extra effort to come to Malaysia in December and then go to Thailand in January where the "original" memorial event is held every year.

Video of Ajahn Sumedho talking about "The Escape Hatch from Samsara":

http://vimeo.com/13518996
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

ajahnchah.org - Teachings of Ajahn Chah in many languages
Dhammatube - Videos on Buddhist practice
Ancient Buddhist Texts - Translations and history of Pali texts
gavesako

Postby pilgrim » Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:46 am

Although no one doubts the sincerity of these Ajahns, some people have difficulty reconciling their lectures on forgiveness, metta and acceptance in view of the failure at reconciliation between their sangha and Ajahn Brahm after such a long period. In the souvenior program, it was noted that one Ajahn who spent many years in the Perth monastery pointedly ommited the name of the abbot, mentioning as his teachers visiting monks from Thailand instead. I hope mention of this conflict is not taboo but I think it is worth mentioning as Ajahn Brahm continues to be a very popular teacher here. Furthermore, Ajahn Hasapanna, the bhikkhuni who is the present abbess of Dhammasara is also a Malaysian and is presently also giving teachings here. One really hopes that they can reconcile and put an end to this dichotomy.
pilgrim

Postby Mr Man » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:03 am

Hi Pilgrim

Had you seen this http://www.dhammaloka.org.au/home/item/ ... dwide.html?

I don't think mention of "this conflict" is taboo but hopefully it is becoming obsolete.

Mr Man

Postby pilgrim » Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:26 pm

Mr Man wrote:Hi Pilgrim

I don't think mention of "this conflict" is taboo but hopefully it is becoming obsolete.

Mr Man, Thanks for pointing this out. It is a good sign and a step in the right direction and hopefully, with sufficient time, the sangha will get over this episode. The laity will always be polite and on their best behavior in front of the ajahns, so I think many in the sangha do not fully appreciate the disappointment and incredulity we experience when we lay people tend to get over own quarrels much faster and with less recrimination. And here we are, listening to Dhamma talks on acceptance and forgiveness. :roll:
pilgrim

Postby gavesako » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:24 pm

LIVE streaming videos of the event:

More about ACRD 2011 - 20th Anniversary
The Ajahn Chah Remembrance Day (ACRD) is a special day devoted to one of the great contemporary Buddhist monks in Thailand, Venerable Ajahn Chah who is also known as Ajahn Chah Subhaddo. He established the first monastery in Thailand to be run by and for English-speaking monks, Wat Pah Nanachat ('International Forest Monastery') which Venerable Sumedho assisted in the setting up as the first abbot. Venerable Ajahn Chah is especially revered for his contribution and dedication to the establishment of the practice of the Thai Forest Tradition in Buddhism outside of Thailand. This year’s event, which is the third one to be held in Malaysia, is especially significant as it marks the 20th anniversary of this great monk’s passing. The two-day event on the 17th & 18th of December 2011, will be held at the SJK (C) Yuk Chai (Taman Megah) school hall. Monks from the UK, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Thailand and Malaysia will be attending this event.

http://www.justin.tv/ajahnchahrd
Bhikkhu Gavesako

gavesako

Postby bodom » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:43 pm

I have been reading Ajahn Chah's words and those of his disciple Ajahn Sumedho all morning.

:bow: :bow: :bow:

:namaste:
The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
bodom

Postby gavesako » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:51 am

Yesterday was the Ajahn Chah 20th year anniversary celebration at Wat Nong Pah Pong, Ubon, Thailand.

๑๐. ยมฺหา ธมฺมํ วิชาเนยฺย
สมฺมาสมฺพุทฺธเทสิตํ
สกฺกจฺจํ ตํ นมสฺเสยฺย
อคฺคิหุตฺตํว พฺราหฺมโณ ฯ ๓๙๒ ฯ

เมื่อรู้ธรรมที่พุทธเจ้าทรงแสดง
จากบุคคลใด
ควรเคารพนอบน้อมบุคคลนั้น
เหมือนพราหมณ์บูชาไฟ

From whom one knows the Truth Sublime
Which the Awakened One proclaimed,
Devotedly should one revere him,
As a brahmana tends the sacrificial fire.

http://www.dhammathai.org/dhammapada/dp26.php
Bhikkhu Gavesako

gavesako

Postby Hickersonia » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:17 pm

pilgrim wrote:
Mr Man wrote:Hi Pilgrim

Mr Man, Thanks for pointing this out. It is a good sign and a step in the right direction and hopefully, with sufficient time, the sangha will get over this episode. The laity will always be polite and on their best behavior in front of the ajahns, so I think many in the sangha do not fully appreciate the disappointment and incredulity we experience when we lay people tend to get over own quarrels much faster and with less recrimination. And here we are, listening to Dhamma talks on acceptance and forgiveness. :roll:

I was unaware that there was such an issue at all, but it is always comforting to hear/read of occasions when men are able to reconcile their differences and move forward in positiveness and good will. Perhaps my saying so is a little off topic for the thread, but it was worthy of saying I think as so many people fail in this particular regard and I think such negativity will prevent them from peace and happiness always.
Hickersonia
http://hickersonia.wordpress.com/

"Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of
throwing it at someone else; you are the one getting burned."
Hickersonia

Return to Theravāda for the modern world