Could someone edit this incorrect statement in Wiki?

Theravāda in the 21st century - modern applications of ancient wisdom

Could someone edit this incorrect statement in Wiki?

Postby manas » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:12 pm

I was reading through some philosophy on Wikipedia, and way down the page there is a modest-sized entry claiming to summarize the purpose of life from the Buddhist perspective. The very first sentence is plainly incorrect, and I know that one of the resident scholars here could easily rephrase this line using the 'edit' function, if they felt so inclined:

Buddhism
[edit] Early Buddhism

Buddhism is a nondual doctrine, in which subject, object, and action are all viewed as illusory.

As I understand it, Buddhism is not 'non dual' as such. And while unenlightened beings are subject to delusion, that's not the same as saying that 'subject, object and action' are all 'illusory'. But as I said, although I perceive error here, I don't as yet have the depth of study behind me with with which to confidently frame an alternative statement for Wiki.

Kind regards.
manas

Re: Could someone edit this incorrect statement in Wiki?

Postby daverupa » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:40 am

...is it already changed?
    "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.
- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
daverupa

Postby Buckwheat » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:16 am

I looked at the edit history and:

(cur | prev) 23:19, 8 February 2012‎ 134.76.63.1 (talk)‎ (118,222 bytes) (→Early Buddhism: deleted wrong misleading statement (unreality of action etc.)) (undo)

Looks like somebody changed it.
Sotthī hontu nirantaraṃ - May you forever be well.
Buckwheat

Postby retrofuturist » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:58 am

Greetings,

Buddhism is a nondual doctrine, in which subject, object, and action are all viewed as illusory.

Right, wrong or misleading, it's hard to see the significance to the "meaning of life" anyway.

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby Buckwheat » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:33 am

Retro,
You are right. It seems the most accurate entry would be that the Buddha told us not to waste time on this question. Is it worth editing Wikipedia to say as much, or is it better to leave it as it currently stands?
Sotthī hontu nirantaraṃ - May you forever be well.
Buckwheat

Return to Theravāda for the modern world