Love is in the air!

Theravāda in the 21st century - modern applications of ancient wisdom

Love is in the air!

Postby Cittasanto » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:30 am

OK so it is valentines day, and I remembered in one of Thanissaros essays or books, he mentions a love poem but can not remember where to look for it???

but not that important really.

my question is what is your favourite passage from the texts (or teachers) regarding Love?
would you send it to your partner and not get smacked around the head, or end up single again, or better yet homeless?

this maybe better in the lounge or open Dhamma but...
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Re: Love is in the air!

Postby mikenz66 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:32 am

"If both husband & wife want to see one another not only in the present life but also in the life to come, they should be in tune [with each other] in conviction, in tune in virtue, in tune in generosity, and in tune in discernment. Then they will see one another not only in the present life but also in the life to come."

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html

:heart:
Mike
mikenz66

Postby Cittasanto » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:52 am

EDIT - OK 20min late with that one :)

OK found something
"Samajivina Sutta: Living in Tune" (AN 4.55), translated from the Pali by Thanissaro Bhikkhu. Access to Insight, 3 July 2010, http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html . wrote:Husband & wife, both of them having conviction, being responsive, being restrained, living by the Dhamma, addressing each other with loving words: they benefit in manifold ways. To them comes bliss. Their enemies are dejected when both are in tune in virtue. Having followed the Dhamma here in this world, both in tune in precepts & practices, they delight in the world of the devas, enjoying the pleasures they desire.
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Postby SamBodhi » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:44 pm

I am not sure if this is usually considered to be a quote concerning love, but it was the first thing that came to mind when I read the original post.

“Just as a mother protects her own child with her life, as though they were her only child, this limitless intention is nurtured in the same way in regard to all beings.”

--Karaṇīya-metta-sutta

with Metta,
pung S
"An inward-staying
unentangled knowing,
All outward-going knowing
cast aside."
--Upasika Kee Nanayon
SamBodhi

Postby Cittasanto » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:27 pm

pung S wrote:I am not sure if this is usually considered to be a quote concerning love, but it was the first thing that came to mind when I read the original post.

“Just as a mother protects her own child with her life, as though they were her only child, this limitless intention is nurtured in the same way in regard to all beings.”

--Karaṇīya-metta-sutta

with Metta,
pung S

:-)
Like the use of my translation :-)
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Cittasanto

Postby Sam Vara » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:51 pm

Several years ago, an Ajahn at our monastery introduced an all-night sitting by saying:

"The moon is full, the night is young, and I'm in the mood for love"!
Sam Vara

Postby retrofuturist » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:18 pm

Greetings Cittasanto,

Cittasanto wrote:he mentions a love poem but can not remember where to look for it???

Could it be...

DN 21 wrote:“There was a time, Lord, when the Bhagavā dwelt at Uruvelā, on the bank of the Nerañjanā river, at the foot of the goatherds’ banyan-tree, soon after his supreme enlightenment. At that very time, Lord, was I enamoured of Baddhā Sūriya-vaccasā, the daughter of Timbaru, King of the Gandhabbas. This girl, however, Lord, was in love with another, with Sikkhaddhī, the son of the charioteer Mātali, for whom she longed. Since I could not win that girl by any means whatsoever, I took my lyre of red vilva-wood, approached the abode of Timbaru, king of the Gandhabbas, and, having drawn near, let my lyre of red vilva-wood be heard and the song alluding to the Buddha, the Dhamma, Arahants and to love.

“The song being over, Baddhā Sūriya-vaccasā addressed me: ‘I did not see yet, Sir, that Bhagavā face to face. However, I have heard of the Bhagavā when I went to dance at the pleasure hall of the Thirty-three gods. Since you, Sir, spoke in praise of that Bhagavā, let there be a meeting between us today.’ And so, Lord, there was a meeting between that girl and me; but don’t let me speak on this any further.”

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby Cittasanto » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:43 pm

Hi Retro,
I don't think so? and it seams crude to the one I recollect, I know he mentions it in a book or essay I read before my return but can not think what book?? I am assuming a fairly recent one though, but could be completely mistaken!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Cittasanto

Postby SamBodhi » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:26 am

Cittasanto wrote::-)
Like the use of my translation :-)

You know, when I first saw this topic, I thought of that verse. But I didn't have the strength to search about looking for it. But, I subscribe to your site through google.com/reader and saw that very verse I was thinking of in my reading list! Thanks for posting it.

with Metta,
pung S
"An inward-staying
unentangled knowing,
All outward-going knowing
cast aside."
--Upasika Kee Nanayon
SamBodhi

Postby Cittasanto » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:32 am

cool didn't know that could be done!
Hope the site is helpful.
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Cittasanto

Return to Theravāda for the modern world