One moment meditation

Theravāda in the 21st century - modern applications of ancient wisdom

One moment meditation

Postby Lazy_eye » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:16 pm

Saw this the other day and it struck me as a useful approach for those of us with a lot of daily distractions...

Any thoughts? Would you recommend it to a friend who was interested in learning more about Buddhist meditation?
Lazy_eye

Re: One moment meditation

Postby David2 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:34 pm

Would you recommend it to a friend who was interested in learning more about Buddhist meditation?

Yes, it's certainly very good for absolute beginners.
David2

Postby Goofaholix » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:34 pm

Lazy_eye wrote:Saw this the other day and it struck me as a useful approach for those of us with a lot of daily distractions...

Any thoughts? Would you recommend it to a friend who was interested in learning more about Buddhist meditation?

Or... one could apply moment to moment mindfulness to daily activities as much as possible with the aim of making it as continuous as possible.

The approach in this video is working on the assumption that meditation is something separate from daily activity, everyday experience, and watering it down beyond usefulness. Why a minute? why not 30 seconds?

I think some people will find this exercise very helpful, it's a good start, the risk is they may think this is all there is to it.
"Proper effort is not the effort to make something particular happen. It is the effort to be aware and awake each moment." - Ajahn Chah
"When we see beyond self, we no longer cling to happiness. When we stop clinging, we can begin to be happy." - Ajahn Chah
"Know and watch your heart. It’s pure but emotions come to colour it." — Ajahn Chah
Goofaholix

Postby bodom » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:38 pm

One moment meditation
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=9467

:anjali:
The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
bodom

Return to Theravāda for the modern world