The use of "Bhante"

Theravāda in the 21st century - modern applications of ancient wisdom

Re: The title 'Ajahn'

Postby LonesomeYogurt » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:57 am

danieLion wrote:
Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:...Collectively, in almost every sutta the Buddha addresses the monks as "bhikkhave," and in other places where, for example, he is referring to a particular bhikkhu by name, e.g. in the Mahātaṇhāsaṅkhaya Suttaṃ when telling the bhikkhus to invite the bhikkhu Sāti to come and see him:
“Ehi tvaṃ bhikkhu, mama vacanena sātiṃ bhikkhuṃ kevaṭṭaputtaṃ āmantehi

Hi Bhikkhu Pesala,
Do you know why there's a differentiation of usage with "Bhikkhu"? That is, why is there a difference in usage about where "Bhikkhu" is placed in the title? For example, at the beginning, as in Bhikkhu Bodhi, or at the end, as in Thanissaro Bhikkhu?

I've also noticed with Bhuddhadasa, for instance, that depending on the publication he's sometimes "Ajahn" and sometimes "Bhikkhu"?

I've inferred from all this that there's a lot of room for personalization. Is this accurate?
Kind regards,
Daniel

Pesala would know better but I think that it's more common in Thailand to be "monastic name Bhikkhu" rather than the "Bhikkhu monastic name." Buddhadasa himself is usually refered to as Buddhadasa Bhikkhu.

Ajahn just means teacher in Thai.
Gain and loss, status and disgrace,
censure and praise, pleasure and pain:
these conditions among human beings are inconstant,
impermanent, subject to change.

Knowing this, the wise person, mindful,
ponders these changing conditions.
Desirable things don’t charm the mind,
undesirable ones bring no resistance.

His welcoming and rebelling are scattered,
gone to their end,
do not exist.
- Lokavipatti Sutta

Stuff I write about things.
LonesomeYogurt

Re: The use of "Bhante"

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:46 am

I don't know why the word order is different — I don't think word order matters much in Pāli since the case ending of a word defines its role as subject, object, etc.

I think it works better in an English sentence if the title is first — if we were to translate "bhikkhu" as "Venerable", then: we would say "Venerable Pesala isn't a Pāli scholar," not "Pesala Venerable isn't a Pāli scholar."
AIM WebsitePāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Bhikkhu Pesala

Postby santisasana » Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:44 am

Bhante,

Thank you for sharing the knowledge.

The Burmese words "Saya" or "Sayādaw" (royal teacher) are also derived from the same Pāl word (ca in Burmese is pronounced as sa). Burmese nuns are addressed as "Sayalay" and female meditation teachers are addressed as "Sayama" while male lay teachers are addressed as "Sayagyi."

If I may add some more precision...
In the Burmese tradition, elder nuns may be adressed as 'sayagyi' and younger ones as 'sayalay' ("gyi' conveying the meaning of big/great and 'lay' the meaning of small).
It is the way I heard these terms used in Burmese monasteries.

Metta
A buddhist nun
santisasana

Postby Ben » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:31 am

Greetings Ven Santisasana,

santisasana wrote:Bhante,

Thank you for sharing the knowledge.

The Burmese words "Saya" or "Sayādaw" (royal teacher) are also derived from the same Pāl word (ca in Burmese is pronounced as sa). Burmese nuns are addressed as "Sayalay" and female meditation teachers are addressed as "Sayama" while male lay teachers are addressed as "Sayagyi."

If I may add some more precision...
In the Burmese tradition, elder nuns may be adressed as 'sayagyi' and younger ones as 'sayalay' ("gyi' conveying the meaning of big/great and 'lay' the meaning of small).
It is the way I heard these terms used in Burmese monasteries.

Metta
A buddhist nun

What is the correct form of address for a Thilashin?
kind regards,

Ben
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby santisasana » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:57 pm

Dear Ben,

In Burma, the thilashin are adressed simply by 'sayalay' or 'sayagyi'.

Metta
santisasana

Postby Ytrog » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:02 pm

I have a small question connected with the topic: is it pronounced with a long or a short ending? I've heard both bhantè and bhanté.
Suffering is asking from life what it can never give you.

mindfulness, bliss and beyond (page 8) wrote:Do not linger on the past. Do not keep carrying around coffins full of dead moments

If you see any unskillful speech (or other action) from me let me know, so I can learn from it.
Ytrog

Postby gavesako » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:44 pm

It is long ("teh").
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

ajahnchah.org - Teachings of Ajahn Chah in many languages
Dhammatube - Videos on Buddhist practice
Ancient Buddhist Texts - Translations and history of Pali texts
gavesako

Previous

Return to Theravāda for the modern world