David's Book : Loving-kindness Meditation / Prayer (Metta)

Theravāda in the 21st century - modern applications of ancient wisdom

Postby yawares » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:49 pm

Dear Members,

[By Dr.David N. Snyder]

The Heart Sutra (Zen)

The Bodhisattva of Compassion from the depths of prajna wisdom saw the emptiness of all five
skandhas (aggregates) and sundered the bonds that caused him suffering. Know then:
Form here is only emptiness, emptiness only form. Form is no other than emptiness, emptiness
no other than form. Feeling, thought, and choice, consciousness itself, are the same as this.
Dharmas here are all empty, all are the primal void. None are born or die. Nor are they stained
or pure, nor do they wax or wane. So in emptiness no form, no feeling, thought, or choice nor is
there consciousness. No eye, ear, nose, tongue, body, mind; no color, sound, smell, taste, touch,
or what the mind takes hold of, nor even act of sensing. No ignorance or end of it nor all that
comes of ignorance: no withering, no death, no end of them. Nor is there pain or cause of
pain or cease in pain or noble path to lead from pain, not even wisdom to attain, attainment too is
emptiness. So know that the bodhisattva holding to nothing whatever but dwelling in prajna
wisdom is freed of delusive hindrance, rid of the fear bred by it, and reaches clearest nirvana.
All buddhas of past and present, buddhas of future time through faith in prajna wisdom come to
full enlightenment. Know then, the great dharani, the radiant, peerless mantra, the supreme,
unfailing mantra, the Prajna Paramita, whose words allay all pain. This is highest wisdom true
beyond all doubt, know and proclaim its truth:

Gatay, gatay; para gatay; para sam gatay; bodhi, svaha (Sanskrit)
Gone, gone; gone beyond; fully beyond; awake, rejoice

Tibetan Prayer for the Dead and Dying

O Buddhas and Bodhisattvas dwelling in the ten directions, compassionate, all-knowing, with the
five kinds of eyes, loving, protectors of all sentient beings, come to this place by the power of
compassion and accept these material and mental offerings.

O Compassionate Ones, you possess understanding wisdom, loving compassion, effective action,
and protecting power beyond the reach of thought, O Compassionate Ones, this person (name), is
going from this world to the other shore, he is leaving this world, he is dying without choice, he
has no friends, he has no protector, he has no allies, the light of this life has set, he is going to
another world, he is entering dense darkness, he is falling down a deep precipice, he is entering a
thick forest, he is pursued by the power of karma, he is entering a great wilderness, he is swept
away by a great ocean, he is driven on by the wind of karma, he is going where there is no
solid ground, he is embarking on a great battle, he is seized by the great evil spirit, he is terrified
by the messengers of the Lord of Death, he is entering existence after existence because of his
kamma, he is helpless, the time has come when he must go on alone without a friend.

O Compassionate Ones, be a refuge to him (name), who has no refuge, protect him, defend him,
keep him from the great darkness of the bardo, turn him aside from the great hurricane of karma,
protect him from the great fear of the Lord of Death, deliver him from the long and dangerous
pathway of the bardo. O Compassionate Ones, do not let your compassion be small, rescue him,
do not let him go the three lower realms, do not forget your former vows but quickly send out the
power of your compassion. O Buddhas and Bodhisattvas, do not let your compassion and
skillful means for him (name), be small, seize him with compassion, do not let a sentient being
fall into the power of evil karma. May the Three Jewels be a refuge from suffering in the bardo.

Loving-kindness Meditation / Prayer (Metta)

May I be well, happy, and peaceful.
May no harm come to me.
May no difficulties come to me.
May no problems come to me.
May I have patience, courage, understanding, and determination to meet and overcome
inevitable difficulties, problems, and failures in life.
May my parents [and/or children] be well, happy, and peaceful.
May no harm come to them.
May no difficulties come to them.
May no problems come to them.
May they have patience, courage, understanding, and determination to meet and overcome
May my teachers be well, happy, and peaceful.
May they have patience, courage, understanding, and determination to meet and overcome
May my relatives be well, happy, and peaceful.
May my friends be well, happy, and peaceful.
May my enemies be well, happy, and peaceful.
May all beings in the universe be well, happy, and peaceful.
-------------to be continued------------- :anjali:
yawares
yawares

Return to Theravāda for the modern world