Pa Auk In The West

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
fig tree

Re: Pa Auk In The West

Post by fig tree »

pilgrim

Post by pilgrim »

There were 2 other Pa-auk centres in the west - one in Green Valley, Sebastopol, USA and the other in Latvia. Googling the Latvia centre does not show any activity since 2012. It appears to be dormant or have ceased altogether.

Now there is an initiative to set up a Pa-auk monastery in Georgia, USA.
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=30473
form

Post by form »

Pa auk writings have answers to many questions that I have. This is a school that is strong in meditation practice.
Subharo

Post by Subharo »

I am one of the few Theravada Buddhist monks you will ever meet who has spent some substantial time (at least a few months, sometimes much longer) in Thai Forest (Ajahn Chah Lineage), Sri Lankan Forest (Mahamevnawa and Galduwa), and Burmese Forest (Pa Auk Sayadaw) monasteries. It's been extremely educational and interesting to compare and contrast the differences seen in these Theravada traditions. Many traditions and customs are the same across these lineages, while some are quite radically different.

I think I can point out a major reason why you see, proportionally, far less Westerners ordaining in non-Thai traditions (such as the Sri Lankan or Burmese). And it's a totally unintuitive reason that only comes out of the woodwork once you actually live with these communities for a good while like I have.

In the Thai Forest Lineage of Ajahn Chah, we (the Westerner monks, anyway) follow the VInaya quite strictly, rigorously studying and following Ajahn Thanissaro's Buddhist Monastic Code, vols. 1 and 2, almost exactly as he wrote it. Those books are a massive, work of genius, by the way, because Ajahn Thanissaro had to read and cross-reference between many, many Vinaya-related texts (as handed down in all the historically Theravada-friendly ethnic Asian cultures), and try to boil this byzantine, tangled mess down into a coherent and well-organized summary (which is still pretty much epic in length) which leaves nothing out (which is noteworthy in the slightest). He usually cites which thing came from which text, which ends up being crucially important to what I'm explaining here.

In traditions like Pa Auk (and Galduwa in Sri Lanka), they have an extremely high regard for the Commentaries and Sub-Commentaries (officially included in the Pali Canon). They believe these Commentaries should be taken very literally, and are effectively equally as authoritative as the Word of the Buddha (in other words, are so authoritative that you are not allowed to question them whatsoever; they are absolutely and literally true).

In the Ajahn Chah tradition, not necessarily so. We (at least the Westerner monks I've talked to) generally tend to view the Commentaries as just a bunch of comments (thus the name "the Commentaries"). Sure, the Commentaries might have been written by arahants, but sometimes they agree with what the Buddha said during his lifetime (in the so-called Early Buddhist Texts, or EBT's), and sometimes they contradict. The Buddha explicitly said that any such contradictions, that might arise after his death, should be investigated (allowing the full range of critical thinking), cross-referenced to the (non-Commentarial) EBT's, and then set aside if they don't "tally up" and agree (even if those contradictions were spoken by well-meaning arahants, as no exception was made by the Buddha for arahants to contradict him after his death, and escape this scrutiny). One such example showing this is from the Mahaparinibbana sutta (DN 16):

The 4 Great Referrals. (Scroll down to Section 28 there).

Note: I can dig up more examples like this, if anyone is interested (where the Buddha said that you should set aside any contradictory statements made by anyone [which would even include arahants] claiming to authoritatively represent him after his death).

So sometimes we in the Ajahn Chah lineage do not follow all the Commentaries and Sub-Commentaries to the (Patimokkha + Suttavibhanga [which is the first layer of Commentary on the Patimokkha]) Vinaya. Whereas the Pa Auk and Galduwa traditions (and possibly others I've never visited) do; they take these Commentaries and Sub-Commentaries (to the Suttavibhanga) to be legally binding, Vinaya-wise, and are therefore confessional offenses to transgress.

So how does this difference in observed Vinaya rules actually play out in the day-to-day life of a Theravada Buddhist monk? Well, there are many small things, but I'd now like to shine a spotlight on the elephant in the room.

I've observed that virtually all Ajahn Chah monks have earned their Independance/freedom from "Nissaya" at the 5-year mark of being a Bhikkhu (or shortly thereafter), such as myself, whereas the majority of Pa Auk/Galduwa monks have not (from what I've personally observed). Most of them (like 90 or 95%) still seem to be Nissaya, even at 10 and 15 years seniority as a monk!! :shock: Why is that? Because they strongly believe a stipulation (in the Commentary to the Suttavibhanga), which claims that in order to earn one's release from Nissaya, a Bhikkhu must satisfy the following (referring here to Chapter 2, "Nissaya", page 42, in BMC 1):
The Commentary to Mv.I.53, in explaining learned, refers to the definition of the term given by the Commentary to Pc 21*, which says that a learned bhikkhu must have memorized:
  1. Both Patimokkhas (for the bhikkhus and bhikkhunis).
  2. The Four Bhanavaras—a set of auspicious chants that are still regularly memorized in Sri Lanka as the Maha-parit potha.
  3. A discourse that is helpful as a guide for sermon-giving. (The Commentary lists as examples the Maha-Rahulovada Sutta (MN 62), the Andhakavinda Sutta (AN 5.114), and the Ambattha Sutta (DN 3).)
  4. Three kinds of anumodana (rejoicing in the merit of others) chants: for meals; for auspicious merit-making ceremonies, such as blessing a house; and for non-auspicious ceremonies, i.e., any relating to a death.
The Commentary adds that he must also know the rules for such Community transactions as the Patimokkha recitation and the Invitation at the
end of the Rains-residence, and be acquainted with themes for tranquility and insight meditation leading to arahantship.

This definition of learned is not universally accepted, and some traditions have reworked it. As this is another area where different Communities have different interpretations, the wise policy is to adhere to the practice followed in one’s Community, as long as it follows the basic requirements in the Canon, mentioned above.
* Note on PC 21 (see page 293 of BMC 1): PC 21 defines "learned" in the context of how qualified a Maha-Thera, (20+ vassas) Bhikkhu needs to be, in order to be fit to exhort the Bhikkhunis. The context of that definition of the word "learned" is far, far removed from how "learned" a 5-vassa Bhikkhu should need to be in order to earn his Independance!

To memorize both Patimokkhas, in Pali, word for word (for both Bhikkhus and Bhikkhunis) is brutally, brutally difficult! :o They are each extremely long.

So I think this is a huge benefit of ordaining in the Ajahn Chah lineage: Independance is realistically up for grabs (at about the 5-year mark after Bhikkhu ordination) to virtually all well-behaved, virtuous monks, even if they are not all that good at Pali, and memorizing vast texts which are not in their native language.
Subharo Bhikkhu
"There is but one taste on this path, the taste of freedom" -The Buddha :buddha1:
pilgrim

Post by pilgrim »

Thank you Bhante Subharo for this informative post. I'm not sure how the Nissaya status of the Burmese and Sri Lankan monks play out in practice.

On the other hand, I feel that the Thai tradition adds unnecessary rules to the Vinaya such as the use of a cloth to accept items from women, non-touching of food by laity after it is offered, etc.
pilgrim

Post by pilgrim »

pilgrim wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:58 am Thank you Bhante Subharo for this informative post. I'm not sure how the Nissaya status of the Burmese and Sri Lankan monks play out in practice. Also it is unclear how extensive this practice is as I know quite a number of non-Burmese Pa-Auk monks who have been released from Nissaya and I am quite certain they have not memorised the Patimokkha.

On the other hand, I feel that the Thai tradition adds unnecessary rules to the Vinaya such as the use of a cloth to accept items from women, non-touching of food by laity after it is offered, etc.
Subharo

Post by Subharo »

pilgrim wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:58 am Thank you Bhante Subharo for this informative post. I'm not sure how the Nissaya status of the Burmese and Sri Lankan monks play out in practice.

True. Guilty as charged.
Subharo Bhikkhu
"There is but one taste on this path, the taste of freedom" -The Buddha :buddha1:
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

Subharo wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:37 am I've observed that virtually all Ajahn Chah monks have earned their Independance/freedom from "Nissaya" at the 5-year mark of being a Bhikkhu (or shortly thereafter), such as myself, whereas the majority of Pa Auk/Galduwa monks have not (from what I've personally observed). Most of them (like 90 or 95%) still seem to be Nissaya, even at 10 and 15 years seniority as a monk!!
Did the theras actually state that they were still in nissaya or is this your own inference based upon what you observed? If the latter, what particular observations led to this inference?
Subharo wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:37 am Why is that? Because they strongly believe a stipulation (in the Commentary to the Suttavibhanga), which claims that in order to earn one's release from Nissaya, a Bhikkhu must satisfy the following (referring here to Chapter 2, "Nissaya", page 42, in BMC 1):
But this stipulation applies only to bhikkhus ordained from five to ten rains who wish to be released from nissaya early, i.e., before they become theras. It doesn't apply to monks of ten rains or more, for whom release from nissaya is automatic, even if they haven't memorised a single gāthā.

Are you saying that learned Burmese theras in the Pa Auk tradition are not aware of this rather elementary point of Vinaya?
Rūpehi bhikkhave arūpā santatarā.
Arūpehi nirodho santataro ti.

“Bhikkhus, the formless is more peaceful than the form realms.
Cessation is more peaceful than the formless realms.”
(Santatarasutta, Iti 73)
pilgrim

Post by pilgrim »

Dhammanando wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:33 am
Subharo wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:37 am I've observed that virtually all Ajahn Chah monks have earned their Independance/freedom from "Nissaya" at the 5-year mark of being a Bhikkhu (or shortly thereafter), such as myself, whereas the majority of Pa Auk/Galduwa monks have not (from what I've personally observed). Most of them (like 90 or 95%) still seem to be Nissaya, even at 10 and 15 years seniority as a monk!!
Did the theras actually state that they were still in nissaya or is this your own inference based upon what you observed? If the latter, what particular observations led to this inference?
For what it is worth, I have a personal friend ordained in the Pa-auk tradition who was released from nissaya after 5 vassas. I'm certain he has not memorised the patimokkha. He said he had a "special arrangement" with the preceptor.
Subharo

Post by Subharo »

Dhammanando wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:33 am Did the theras actually state that they were still in nissaya or is this your own inference based upon what you observed? If the latter, what particular observations led to this inference?
Here is what I observed which you could call proof. At the end of the most recent Rains Retreat at Na Uyana (2017), once the Pavarana was over, and everyone was getting up to leave the Uposatha hall, all of a sudden something unusual and strange (to me) happened. Virtually all the Bhikkhus quickly gathered around, and took Nissaya on one of the head monks (and I can't remember which it was, but it was one of the two most well-known head monks). I quickly asked the nearest friend monk what was happening. He said "we're all taking Nissaya", then he joined them. I stepped back from that flood of monks, as I had my own Independance. In that flood of monks was just about every senior monk who I knew who had 10+ rains.

Also, here is a recent quotation from one of their monks (a fully-ordained Bhikkhu, well versed in their Vinaya, including all Commentaries and Sub-Commentaries [and they even have a formal, super rigorous Vinaya exam, before Bhikkhu ordination], but he's not a Thera), whom I will not name to protect his anonymity (when I recently questioned him further on this):
From what I understand of Sri Lanka, the local monks often stay dependent on a teacher for as long as they live, e.g. Migodha Bhante lived in dependence on Ariyadhamma Mahathera until he died. Only foreigners want to be independent and move around (disrespectfully :)
To re-iterate, my Bhikkhu contact claimed that it is widely considered (in Sri Lanka) a form of disrespect to even so much as desire one's Independance.
Dhammanando wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:33 am
Subharo wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:37 am Why is that? Because they strongly believe a stipulation (in the Commentary to the Suttavibhanga), which claims that in order to earn one's release from Nissaya, a Bhikkhu must satisfy the following (referring here to Chapter 2, "Nissaya", page 42, in BMC 1):
But this stipulation applies only to bhikkhus ordained from five to ten rains who wish to be released from nissaya early, i.e., before they become theras. It doesn't apply to monks of ten rains or more, for whom release from nissaya is automatic, even if they haven't memorised a single gāthā.
I've never heard about (or perhaps have forgotten) the auto-release-at-10-years thing before. Thank you, Ajahn. I don't suppose you recall where that was stated?
Dhammanando wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:33 am Are you saying that learned Burmese theras in the Pa Auk tradition are not aware of this rather elementary point of Vinaya?
I shouldn't represent the Pa Auk tradition in light of answering this question. But perhaps there is a Pa Auk monk on this forum who can set the record straight on this matter. Please, anyone, correct me if I'm wrong.
Subharo Bhikkhu
Subharo

Post by Subharo »

I've just talked with a senior (20+ vassa) Westerner Pa Auk monk (whom I will not name to respect his anonymity), who spoke from his own experience, but did not claim to officially represent the views of the Pa Auk tradition. I can relate a few anecdotes here, but I don't think we can arrive at any definite conclusions. I couldn't get really definite, cut and dry answers.

Here are the anecdotes:
- There is at least one Pa Auk westerner monk who was Nissaya all the way up to 15 vassas, but not farther.
- How long each westerner Pa Auk monk remains in Nissaya might not be a definite thing; 5 years doesn't seem like a regular dotted line, it seems.
- It seems that at least in some cases, indeed a monk should memorize the Bhikkhu and Bhikkhuni patimokkhas (etc.) to qualify as "learned", and thereby deserve release from Nissaya.
- He did categorically state that the Pa Auk tradition takes all the Commentaries and Sub-Commentaries to be true (and presumably therefore authoritative), and he is personally in agreement with that (although he wasn't pushy about his views whatsoever, which I really appreciated).

He also told me many positive anecdotes about the Pa Auk tradition that I'd never heard before, which I was really impressed with. Here's one, which is highly relevant (and please don't quote me on this, as I'm not sure I understood it correctly):
- There is a ceremony (sometimes? regularly, in an ongoing fashion?) done where the acariya formally and voluntarily releases their Nissaya students from all vatta (formal Vinaya-bound duties), and the students likewise release the acariya from their reciprocal duties. So this is pretty much like not having any Nissaya encumbrance. I've never heard of this being done as a formal ceremony before.
Subharo Bhikkhu
Subharo

Post by Subharo »

I've just re-read Chapter 2 ("Nissaya") in BMC 1, and I can't find any reference to the 10-years-auto-release-from-Nissaya thing. Here's what I did find, however, on page 41:
Release from dependence. According to Mv.I.53.4, a bhikkhu may be released from dependence after he has been ordained for five years, on the condition that he be experienced and competent. If he is not yet experienced and competent, he must remain under dependency until he is. If he never becomes experienced and competent, he must remain in dependence for his entire life as a bhikkhu.
So now I'm doubly curious as to where the 10-years-auto-release-from-Nissaya thing is found!!

Can anyone help to allay my perplexity on this perplexing matter? Can anyone help me to quench my thirst for knowledge of the VInaya?
Subharo Bhikkhu
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings bhante,
Subharo wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:18 pm Can anyone help to allay my perplexity on this perplexing matter? Can anyone help me to quench my thirst for knowledge of the VInaya?
I can't personally, though I recommend reposting your inquiry in a new topic in the Ordination & Monastic Life section, as your question is far more likely to capture the eye of someone there, who may be able to assist.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."