YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Theravada Buddhist Education - Dhamma Wheel

Theravada Buddhist Education

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Cittasanto

Theravada Buddhist Education

Postby Cittasanto » Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:30 pm

Inspired by a video on the Bhikkhuni Restoration thread here
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1482&start=20

So what is and should be a Theravada Education system?
I know I have tried to find a online course specifically tayloured to Theravada Buddhism, with little success, but what would be a theravada Course be like, instead of the Basic courses which come mainly from Mahayana as far as I can tell.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.

David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Re: Theravada Buddhist Education

Postby David N. Snyder » Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:23 pm

A great video, talk by Ven. Bhikkhu Bodhi. He raises many good points. I'll have to go through it again and pull some great quotes by him. For now, I can say that he made excellent references to promoting ideas that might be called 'Modern Theravada.'

The part about the nuns' education, specifically is not until the end. It is more about education in general for Buddhist monastics and other teachers.

Cittasanto

Postby Cittasanto » Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:22 pm

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.

gavesako

Postby gavesako » Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:31 pm

In fact Bhikkhu Bodhi has, many years ago, suggested such a graduated system of monastic education to be applied in the Western monasteries. However, it has never taken root there, although there have been occasional attempts at systematic study, mainly of the Vinaya and sometimes also Sutta classes. But somehow this kind of knowledge is not stressed in the Ajahn Chah tradition. I hope that after listening to BB's talk, though, some people will have a change of mind about this.
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

- Theravada texts
- Translations and history of Pali texts
- Sutta translations

jcsuperstar

Postby jcsuperstar » Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:59 pm

i fear making education requirements for monastics.

though some teach, their "job" isnt to teach it's to find liberation, and although the buddha laid down a path, i dont think trying to grade that path like we do students in western schools will make the path more accessable, apealing, or easier to follow.
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat

appicchato

Postby appicchato » Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:05 pm

Cittasanto

Postby Cittasanto » Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:28 pm

Cittasanto

Postby Cittasanto » Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:39 pm

Hoo

Postby Hoo » Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:43 pm

JMHO, but a basic introduction is sorely needed. I just came down the path of looking for standardized, or even agreed, intro to Buddhism materials. There is a zoo of stuff, much of which explains very little. The advice is everywhere to postpone (or select) your tradition of choice, choose a teacher with due care, etc., yet there is no guideline for doing that. And people brand new to Buddhism lack the knowledge to make such decisions, the nearest teacher of any kind may be 100 miles away, yada yada yada. There is a very good case to be made for some standardized materials that are accessable everywhere. Maybe the internet will prove to be the university without teachers or walls for such an attempt.

However, graduated instruction can also become a slippery slope leading to the ills of modern "religious vocations" and hierarchies. Who will agree on the standards, who will enforce them. What kind of robins-and-sparrows hierarchies will emerge or be necessary to maintain the system, etc?

My guess is that it has been tried and failed somewhere in the last 2500 years. But now we have the internet.

Of course, with my preference for the Forrest tradition, I won't see whatever is agreed upon and published :meditate:

Steve

jcsuperstar

Postby jcsuperstar » Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:35 am

well there are books for those starting out on the path, like bodhi's In the Buddha's Words and Walpola Rahula's what the buddha taught

also in our own little study group here on dhammawheel we discussed the budda's instructions for finding a teacher.

the forest tradition IMO couldnt have a structured training system as it's pretty much an individual's world, and one focuses on what is best for them to move along the path, which type of meditation works for them, which set of discourses, how much study vs practice etc, and from what i've read in the suttas this is how the buddha taught; "to each by what they need".
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat

gavesako

Postby gavesako » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:04 am

Here are some general comments:

Ajahn Jayasaro - Buddhist Education

What is the purpose of Buddhist education?

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... 128902C6C0
Bhikkhu Gavesako

- Theravada texts
- Sutta translations

appicchato

Postby appicchato » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:39 am

Cittasanto

Postby Cittasanto » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:57 am

Cittasanto

Postby Cittasanto » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:01 am

gavesako

Postby gavesako » Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:12 pm

Just to inform you that we are just thinking about starting a program of Buddhist education (Dhamma school) along these lines at the newly established Bodhi Vihara Freising, near Munich in Germany. Any support is welcome.

www.bodhi-vihara.org
Bhikkhu Gavesako

- Theravada texts
- Sutta translations

cooran

Postby cooran » Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:47 pm

Thanks for the website Ven. Gavesako.

I don't read or speak German ~ but I will print the Archive page and the current page and photos and take them to Ven. Dhammasiha this weekend.
I admire and understand his "no technology unless absolutely essential (i.e. phone and fax)" but, just sometimes ..... :smile:

metta and respect,
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---

cooran

Postby cooran » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:13 pm

English language links to Ven. Gavesako's Buddhist Monastery of Freising in Germany:

English
http://bodhi-vihara.org/pages/english.php
About
http://bodhi-vihara.org/pages/english/about.php
Monastery Activities
http://bodhi-vihara.org/pages/english/m ... ivites.php
Support
http://bodhi-vihara.org/pages/english/support.php

metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---

Cittasanto

Postby Cittasanto » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:53 am

Hi Bhante, & Chris

I would be happy to provide any support I can Bhante (open invitation no time limits), although not a German Speeker (my english is bad enough and I'm a native speaker :( )

gavesako

Postby gavesako » Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:03 pm

Hello all,

Thanks for your interest, I will keep you posted and the website should also be updated soon. We may perhaps need some books for the library, although we already have a good number of them. The teachings may also be given in English, depending on the audience. Freising (and nearby Munich) has university students from all over the world and it is good to get them involved.
Bhikkhu Gavesako

- Theravada texts
- Sutta translations

Cittasanto

Postby Cittasanto » Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:53 pm

Return to “General Theravāda discussion”