Tattoos, help or hindrance?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
uniformsquare

Tattoos, help or hindrance?

Post by uniformsquare »

I was wondering what you all you think about Buddhist tattoos. Do they cause attachment to the body which is not self? Do they serve as a reminder of the only truth path to ultimate freedom? What is your take on Buddhism, tattoos, and Buddhist tattoos?
retrofuturist

Re: Tattoos, help or hindrance?

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

I've never really understood tattoos, nor had much interest to them.

As I understand it though, tattoos are often personal things that symbolise something of significance to the wearer.

In the context of Buddhist tattoos, there will obviously be some reaction... it is that reaction which, as you say could be a "help" (if it promotes mindstates of wisdom, lovingkindess, generosity) or a "hindrance" (if it promotes mindstates of delusion, greed or aversion).

Each person's reaction to their own tattoos will be different... if you're contemplating it, think about how you think you'll relate to it.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
bodom

Post by bodom »

Theres only five hindrances you need to worry about and tattoos arent one of them.

:namaste:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Demarous

Post by Demarous »

I remember we had a discussion on tattoo's a while ago, and as it is not a problem even if the Sangha are allowed tattoos, whatever they be, related or not, they are not a problem.

I can see the help that 'reminder' tattoo's can give, for instance if you are getting angry, a buddha reminder on you arm for instance may aid you to calm yourself and remember the lack of importance of the situation.

I think if its a not so nice tattoo that you dislike, you would be able to lose attachment to it as you progress, if it bothers you at all that is!

Metta,
Demarous.
"Happy, at rest, may all beings be happy at heart. Whatever beings there may be, weak or strong, without exception, long, large, middling, short, subtle, blatant, seen & unseen, near & far, born & seeking birth: May all beings be happy at heart."
Guy

Post by Guy »

Tattoos are neither a help nor a hinderance, they are just tattoos. However, a desire to get a tattoo would be the 1st hinderance (sensual desire) and an aversion to people who have tattoos (including yourself if you already have one) would be the 2nd hinderance (ill-will).
Four types of letting go:

1) Giving; expecting nothing back in return
2) Throwing things away
3) Contentment; wanting to be here, not wanting to be anywhere else
4) "Teflon Mind"; having a mind which doesn't accumulate things

- Ajahn Brahm
Ben

Post by Ben »

I suggest you practice dana as that will benefit your practice more than getting a tattoo.
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
acinteyyo

Post by acinteyyo »

Hello,
Tattoos might be helpful. I have been thinking about a tattoo for some time. A dhammawheel. It represents the 4 noble truths (including the 8-fold path which is shown through the 8 spokes.) The Dhamma and Samsara. The pain by "tattoing the tattoo reminds on dukkha. The tattoo will change by and by which reminds on anicca. The tattoo doesn't exist by itself. It depends on tatto artist, the one who be tattoed or rather the body which be tattoed, ink and so on which reminds on anatta.
As a matter of course these things can be seen in nature all the time but for someone it could be a helpful thing if one understands and sees the tattoo with wisdom.
I'm of the same opinion as bodom_bad_boy and Guy
bodom_bad_boy wrote:Theres only five hindrances you need to worry about and tattoos arent one of them.
:namaste:
Guy wrote:Tattoos are neither a help nor a hinderance, they are just tattoos. However, a desire to get a tattoo would be the 1st hinderance (sensual desire) and an aversion to people who have tattoos (including yourself if you already have one) would be the 2nd hinderance (ill-will).
greetings, acinteyyo
Thag 1.20. Ajita - I do not fear death; nor do I long for life. I’ll lay down this body, aware and mindful.