Vassa for Lay Theravadans?

Theravāda in the 21st century - modern applications of ancient wisdom

Vassa for Lay Theravadans?

Postby seanandrews » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:25 am

How do lay Theravadans typically honor Vassa? I have read that it is purely individual, that what one does, another person may not necessarily do. But I have read suggestions of: no meats, no smoking, no luxuries, increase time spent toward studying the dhamma and meditating. Does anyone have any other suggestions? Vassa begins on Wednesday.

How about Asalha Puja? If there is not a temple nearby to which I can take gifts for the monks, how can I properly honor the dhamma beyond what I normally do?

Thanks.
seanandrews

Re: Vassa for Lay Theravadans?

Postby Ben » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:32 am

Continue to walk the path, Sean!
If you wanted to, you could observe the uposotha days during vassa, take uposotha precepts for the duration of vassa, or you could do a retreat.
The important thing is to maintain your practice.
Metta

Ben
"Only those who take to meditation with good intentions can be assured of success. With the development of the purity and the power of the mind backed by the insight into the ultimate truth of nature, one might be able to do a lot of things in the right direction for the benefit of mankind."

Sayagyi U Ba Khin

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global Relief
UNHCR Syria Emergency Relief AppealTyphoon Haiyan Relief AppealKiva: (person to person micro-finance)

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Return to Theravāda for the modern world