Asalha Puja for Kids?

Theravāda in the 21st century - modern applications of ancient wisdom

Asalha Puja for Kids?

Postby seanandrews » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:16 pm

Okay, so my wife and I want to celebrate Asalha Puja tomorrow but are not sure how to involve our kids. Anything special we can have them do? Their ages are 5, 3 and 2. It does not matter much for the two little ones, but our 5-year-old is already becoming quite aware of Buddhism in our household and will be curious to do stuff. Any suggestions? Thanks.
seanandrews

Re: Asalha Puja for Kids?

Postby retrofuturist » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:17 am

Greetings Sean,

I can't think of anything specific, but I hope it goes well... just make them feel loved and included.

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Re: Asalha Puja for Kids?

Postby appicchato » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:54 am

If you're going to a temple where there are monks take the kids along and have them put things (rice, fruit, drinks, etc...) into their bowls at the proper time...in Buddhist countries (especially Thailand) children very young (two and up) are taking part in dana...it doesn't take much and it instills in them the idea of giving at an early age...
appicchato

Return to Theravāda for the modern world